ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Website DNS issue?

2014 Focus Titanium
I've just created a new website for our company using Squarespace, and yesterday I transferred all the DNS/CNAME details over to 1and1 who hold our domain.
http://www.burstwick.golf/
At work and on 4G on my phone the website loads up perfectly, but at home on Sky broadband, it's coming up with the old website. I can't understand why. I've tried changing the DNS on my PC to 8.8.8.8 to see if it was Sky's DNS servers but still no avail.
Can anyone shed any light on this?

clio 172
I've just created a new website for our company using Squarespace, and yesterday I transferred all the DNS/CNAME details over to 1and1 who hold our domain.
http://www.burstwick.golf/
At work and on 4G on my phone the website loads up perfectly, but at home on Sky broadband, it's coming up with the old website. I can't understand why. I've tried changing the DNS on my PC to 8.8.8.8 to see if it was Sky's DNS servers but still no avail.
Can anyone shed any light on this?
Try holding down the ctrl key and press f5

How long ago did you update the details? It can take days to propagate everywhere due to TTL. Also, try restarting your router.

The quickest way to see if your PC is viewing the new website/IP is to ping it.

I've pinged it, and I'm seeing 198.185.159.144. But I don't know if it's your new or old site.

2014 Focus Titanium
Thanks CJ. I changed the IPs on Wednesday. That ping IP is the new website site, I did a tracert last night and it also went to the correct IP which further puzzled me!

2014 Focus Titanium
4 days later and it's still happening. On my desktop it brings up a blank white screen with the address www.burstwick.golf/defaultsite (this isn't a page I've made) and on my tablet and phone it shows a 'coming soon' image from about 3 years ago from when I made our last website!

Checked your FTP/root folder to ensure there are no rogue files in there?

Have you restarted your router?

2014 Focus Titanium
Checked your FTP/root folder to ensure there are no rogue files in there?

Have you restarted your router?

This has to be related to it. The domain itself is with 1and1 and it's pointed at Squarespace's DNS and CNAME, but what I'm seeing at my home address seems to be from 1and1; /defaultsite I believe is 1and1's default website address when you build a site with them, and the old 'coming soon' page I made is on 1and1's webspace; but this should be bypassed due to the Cname and DNS?!

2014 Focus Titanium
Still can't fix. Tried flushing DNS, different browser, incognito mode, different devices. I don't get it :(

2014 Focus Titanium
Only happens at home? On home router?
Only at home (but I haven't tried another router to be fair).

I don't know if it's happening to anyone else (I think it's related to sky broadband somehow) but no one that I know of has mentioned it happening yet.

Only at home (but I haven't tried another router to be fair).

I don't know if it's happening to anyone else (I think it's related to sky broadband somehow) but no one that I know of has mentioned it happening yet.
Just checked on my home sky connection, works fine too.

I'm 99% confident it's your router that's the problem. It's simply seeing an older version.

You can change your .hosts file to point any request to the new URL, to see if that's the problem.

When you ping it from home, does it still show the correct IP?

2014 Focus Titanium
Just checked on my home sky connection, works fine too.

I'm 99% confident it's your router that's the problem. It's simply seeing an older version.

You can change your .hosts file to point any request to the new URL, to see if that's the problem.

When you ping it from home, does it still show the correct IP?
Well. I got hold of another router, and the problem is half solved. Now all that happens is it is still redirecting to /defaultsite but it is actually on the correct site now (it just says defaultsite not found on the site which is correct) so now I can browse around the site, but I can't get on the homepage as it keeps redirecting to /defaultsite.

Lol, the saga continues!