ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

weight reduction

throttle bodied mk2 172
how much will be save if all seats remove and only add 2 cobras on the front in 172?

front seats = 35kg x 2
rear bench prob only about 20kg
Total weight removed = 55kg

Cobras = aprox 14kg x2

Total weight added = 28kg

Weigh saved = 55-28=27kg

theduckeatspork said:
front seats = 35kg x 2

Cobras = aprox 14kg x2

Weigh saved = 55-28=27kg

good work stu....................A+

Clio RSi
theduckeatspork said:
front seats = 35kg x 2

Cobras = aprox 14kg x2

Weigh saved = 55-28=27kg

which coincedently is a 51% saving :)

R

Rebecca

Drive naked:eek:. Or strip out anything not needed ie carpets, dash trims, passengers, magic trees, C.D's and C.D players. e.t.c

Rebecca

throttle bodied mk2 172
theduckeatspork said:
front seats = 35kg x 2

Cobras = aprox 14kg x2

Weigh saved = 55-28=27kg
35x2=70 mate.so 90-28=62.saving will be 62.am i wrong??

2005 Nissan Navara
Ahmet, maybe you could use Laplace transform to find a specific weight reduction function? :p

Lionel Richie
portal172 said:
Dont forget that we can't replace the seats in Australia ahmet..

HAS to have an air bag.

only on the road though i would think, mr ahmet is going crackers over 1/4miling it seems

172cup
does it feel any different for it? honestly? I know it'd sound a lot different, look alot different... but driving it? Not a critisism... just a question.

I always thought about going mad and taking everything out lol, but thought twice about it when i have to take my mum to the shops hahaha

R35 GTR
I'm gonna do mine this week. I think i can save nearly 100 kilos compared to what I have in there at the moment. Or going from 1210 kg to 1030. Going from having girlfriend(she dont weigh much.) sub, rear seats, spare wheel, and front seats, to just one lightweight seat. it will definitely feel quicker.

I estimate around 25bhp in equivalent power gain compared to same car weighing 1210kg.

172cup
what you wanna do dave is give me your front seats, rear seats & door cards ;)

swap you for a cup interior... it's a lot lighter

R35 GTR
d.brown said:
what you wanna do dave is give me your front seats, rear seats & door cards ;)

swap you for a cup interior... it's a lot lighter

you should strip yours out, it would be soooooo much quicker. Imagine it.

R35 GTR
d.brown said:
too loud

i'm a big girl really

I'm doing it till i get bored.lol. plus I was hoping to save petrol. It is louder though, already tried it with stuff out of the back.

172cup
all you gotta do is put my back seat down... amazing how much louder it gets just from that

Thing is.. cup rear bench only weights about 6 grams anyway. Slightly pointless.

R35 GTR
d.brown said:
all you gotta do is put my back seat down... amazing how much louder it gets just from that

Thing is.. cup rear bench only weights about 6 grams anyway. Slightly pointless.

good point.

RS-1, Bebop, CTR
Ok, so a plain weight reduction would give you a slighlty improved performance in a straight line.

But has anybody that has put their car on a simple diet ever thought, that by shreding off weight uncontrolably, they are ruining the car's factory set weight distribution?

And by changing the weight distribution, you would also have to choose a new set of stiffer springs for the car, if you want the car to behave the same as prior to WR.

M2 Competition
Dave, if interested, will swap you my buckets, subframes and harnesses, for your ff interior, plus some cash your way... ?
pm me either way mate :)

Oh, and it makes it drive very different, the tail is very light, and acceleration in the lower gears is much quicker.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
Loopz said:
Ok, so a plain weight reduction would give you a slighlty improved performance in a straight line.

But has anybody that has put their car on a simple diet ever thought, that by shreding off weight uncontrolably, they are ruining the car's factory set weight distribution?

And by changing the weight distribution, you would also have to choose a new set of stiffer springs for the car, if you want the car to behave the same as prior to WR.

WEight reduction helps not only performance in a straight line but cornering and braking too...it's the most effective modification to make a car go faster..imo

R

Rebecca

wants to kick me out of the car grrrr but I told him I weigh about as much as a postage stamp. He can pay for a hair cut for me that would be a bit less weight then I can wear a less heavy outfit and he can still have two seats. :rasp:

It does begin to get a tad silly after a while, petrol saving would be a good side effect though.

Rebecca

Rebecca said:
wants to kick me out of the car grrrr but I told him I weigh about as much as a postage stamp. He can pay for a hair cut for me that would be a bit less weight then I can wear a less heavy outfit and he can still have two seats. :rasp:

It does begin to get a tad silly after a while, petrol saving would be a good side effect though.

Rebecca

lol..............no seat , no where for u to sit :eek:

Broken Diesel Megane :(
i agree the tail end does become very light and twitchy. but brings an even bigger smile :)

172cup
why does it make the rear twitchy? You'r not really losing any weight from the back back though are ya? rear bench is pretty much in the middle.

Have you stripped your cup? What have ya done?

Unless your parcel shelf weights 100kgs lol

R35 GTR
Peperami said:
Dave, if interested, will swap you my buckets, subframes and harnesses, for your ff interior, plus some cash your way... ?
pm me either way mate :)

Oh, and it makes it drive very different, the tail is very light, and acceleration in the lower gears is much quicker.

Already got a set of reclining ones that I am putting in. Not ready to commit to the car yet, by giving away the interior.lol. Thanks anyway.

I may still be selling just the front leather seats.

172cup
b****cks.

if thats the case... (going that 1ltr = 1kg)... a full tank of petrol would give you the equivalent return of about 10 bhp less than running on nearly empty. And thats not the case

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Well a cup has 89kilos less than a full fat and everyone seems to rave how much better they are. I know a lot is due to the revised suspension but still the weight loss seems to be part of it, maybe? :)

R35 GTR
I am not too sure on the maths, but from my calculations it is around 10bhp for 60kg loss.

Or 25bhp for 180kg loss. I reckon i get 169-12 from having me and rebecca + all the ice and seats. To 169+13 when stripping out bar one lightweight seat.

we should try the cars side by side when i have stripped mine, as yours is quicker than mine, would be proof of a good increase if I beat you?

I have averaged the price of performance increase costs to £50 per bhp , (inlet work is considerably cheaper).

Tb's cost 4000 = 100/bhp
turbo to 270bhp 8000+....=over 80 per bhp.

so my conservative estimate of £50 per bhp gives me £1250 of saving if i wanted to shift my lard arse car full of toys around, without stripping.:clown: