ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Welding alternator fixing on engine

BMW 330D
Hi guys,

This is a very strange one but I need the best possible solution a permanent fix and not replace my block.

Anyway my 182 cup is fitted with a pure Motorsport air con delete kit, however one of the fixing tags that is actually on the engine block used to support the alternator on one side has steered off completely.

What is the best way to fix this back onto the block as its cast iron which will be a permanent fix.

renault clio 1.4 16v
Cast iron can be welded, if you have a tig welder or the right sticks for a normal stick welder and a cutting torch you can do it youself or take it to a welding shop... when welding cast iron you have to heat up both sections first, with the torch then weld, then let it cool down as slowly as possible...

BMW 330D
Hi thanks for the reply, I have a stick welder but welds don't tend to be as neat with a stick.

Which would make the strongest weld?

I'm tempted to give it a go myself but want to make sure it don't sheer off again.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Depends on where the damage is but using the cup alternator set up might be a better solution as it uses different mounting holes