ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Welding Stainless Steel

Corsa Van. Meh.
I need to get a crack welded up on the exhaust. I am sure someone told me you have to have special welding equipment to weld stainless.

Is that true?

Matt

Clio 172mk2
i just took mine to a custom exhaust place, tenner cash in hand to sort crack around center box

its not so much special equipment, stainless can be done by any of the same means as Mild steel (mig, tig, even stick weld if your desperate!) the important thing is the correct wire is used..

we generally use 316L (i think) at work...

most place like kwik fit or other exhaust places (certainly round this way) will just have a MIG unit armed with mild steel wire, now while this will weld stainless and work, the weld wont be as strong as it could be and introducing mild to stinless will allow it to rust..

probably best trying engineering places, we`d only charge a tenner or so to whip round an exhaust providing it was cleaned and removed

2010 Jetta TDi 140
Any kind of welding is fine, but if you are welding stainless, use stainless wire to weld it as said above it will rust and eventually crack if you don't. From what I can gather most stainless exhausts are made from 304 but 316 or 316L (low carbon) will be fine. It will be easier to find a TIG welder rather than a MIG that has the correct grade to weld it up with.