ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Well the 200 has gone

GT 86
As the title says the 200 has gone part exchanged for a good price indeed against my new car. I have returned back to the fold of Japanese cars and pleased I am too. I have never been so pleased to get rid of a car as I have with the 200.

My views of ownership of the 200, pretty poor performance in my opinion, set against the high running costs expected more from it, I have never owned a car from new that has had so many niggly problems culminating in my latest repair bill of over £1400 on a 3 1/2 year low mileage fully maintained and pampered car, pretty poor really. Build quality was appalling again lots if niggly things that shouldn't have been there. I just couldn't live with it any longer to be honest I couldn't face another out of warranty bill of stupid size especially for a car that I had grown to dislike, though it never really worked for me from day 1.

Would I have another Renault again Mmmmm never, you just have to read the recent threads on the new one to see build quality is just as poor, the words Diamond of doom really were true for me. :dapprove:

I wish everyone on here the best for the future and good luck, I may pop back from time to time, I enjoy reading the threads.

All the best, adieu.

ps Toyota GT 86 in Pearl white with leather is the forward.;)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Nice choice. I have similar feelings about the newer Clio's. Expensive repairs, high running costs, and the same level of performance/comfort as a 182 Trophy. Where do I sign? (for any alternative).

GT 86
Can I ask what you recently had repaired that cost £1400?

Just caught me before I signed off, as Marshall above says EPS whole new unit and column required. All I can say is beware of this out of warranty as Renault wont admit it but it would appear to be a common problem. :mad:

E92 325D
Just caught me before I signed off, as Marshall above says EPS whole new unit and column required. All I can say is beware of this out of warranty as Renault wont admit it but it would appear to be a common problem. :mad:

Even more common than the rack from what ive heard.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Must be a Mk3 thing, i've never in 4 mk2 RS Clios had anything remotley resembling 'big bills'. Good luck with the new car though.

ST
Must be a Mk3 thing, i've never in 4 mk2 RS Clios had anything remotley resembling 'big bills'. Good luck with the new car though.

Sounds like a Friday afternoon car to me Spaniel, I'm also on my 4th RS, 182, R27, PH2 172(the oldest and most problematic), now the 200 which is epic tbh.. Fuel economy doesn't really bother me, if it does over 30 on the motorway and mid to late 20s mixed, I think it's a great all round package.. Tho it's personal preference and each individual car may perform differently, spec and options can make the difference too.

S4 Avant
I'd have to agree. I won't own another Renault, purely because of the number of things that go wrong.

In an ideal world, a car shouldn't have anything fail between services. As a daily driver my Clio required something new every month, be it a sensor or something more serious. Compared to any other brand, Renault is consistently poor with its build and reliability.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Shame you had a poor experience as they can be great cars. I however feel they are hard to justify cost wise and running costs.

Enjoy the Toybaru. I seen a new Red one again yesterday on the road. Looked superb apart from the shat spec wheels.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Sounds like a Friday afternoon car to me Spaniel, I'm also on my 4th RS, 182, R27, PH2 172(the oldest and most problematic), now the 200 which is epic tbh.. Fuel economy doesn't really bother me, if it does over 30 on the motorway and mid to late 20s mixed, I think it's a great all round package.. Tho it's personal preference and each individual car may perform differently, spec and options can make the difference too.

I'd agree, if it was a porsche. But it's a 2.0 Clio dude! The 172 manages a comfortable 32+ average, almost always 40+ on long motorway runs.

For me the simple way to define it is that the 200 is a non premium car, with premium car running costs.

PB Clio 172
Nice choice. I have similar feelings about the newer Clio's. Expensive repairs, high running costs, and the same level of performance/comfort as a 182 Trophy. Where do I sign? (for any alternative).

+1 on this

The reason why I would never part with my 172. 13 years old, doesn't show its age. Best car I have ever owned!

ST
I'd agree, if it was a porsche. But it's a 2.0 Clio dude! The 172 manages a comfortable 32+ average, almost always 40+ on long motorway runs.

For me the simple way to define it is that the 200 is a non premium car, with premium car running costs.

I hear you, tho a highly strung N/A 2.0L that begs to be thrashed to get the best out it really isn't going to return earth shattering MPG, I certainly wouldn't consider it premium running costs but it's horses for courses I guess, I can comfortably say the 200 is better on fuel than the R27 was..

Civic Type R's are the same if not worse on fuel for the same reasons, but that's another argument/discussion.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Also, buying cars even new ones is an absolute lottery. There will be a GT86 owner out there somewhere having issues he/she didn't think possible (even if they are still in warranty).

I don't really see any car manufacturer more reliable than any other, they all have their faults.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
By premium running costs, I'm comparing to Audi/BMW/Merc etc, not porsche etc.

Now they're running 17 inch wheels, and simple things like a balljoint are not cheap, IMO they're creeping into the same running cost territories. On a 172 a ball joint in 10 minutes and £12 for example. No longer the case with the mk3 platform.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Unlucky that you had the issues you did but I think you just get some sheds where they cause nothing but hassle and others that never miss a beat.

Some of friends 182s constantly have something wrong with them, mines not really missed a beat and its done 37k of abusive miles in just over 16 months.

My friends 200 was a shed, he bought it 2nd hand from a dealer, had it less than 24 hours and spun a shell. Dealer had it around 3 months repairing it etc got it back then master cylinder exploded so he gave it back to the garage and walked away.

Some cars just seem doomed from day 1.

172 Ph2
By premium running costs, I'm comparing to Audi/BMW/Merc etc, not porsche etc.

Now they're running 17 inch wheels, and simple things like a balljoint are not cheap, IMO they're creeping into the same running cost territories. On a 172 a ball joint in 10 minutes and £12 for example. No longer the case with the mk3 platform.

It was no more expensive for me to run my BMW E91 2.0D than it is to run current Mk3 Citroen C5 2.0D, why do people think running a german car is going to be expensive and I wouldn't place them as premium cars, there are premium cars within every manufacturer range.

Even if you compare main dealer prices there isnt much between manufacturers.

Suzuki Jimny
Shame you've had problems with it. Mine has been excellent, and I always laugh at the people complaining about fuel consumption. It's a hot hatch, 30mpg is acceptable!

ph1 172 300zx tt
I have had 6 test drives of the gt86 literally makes me want to sell a lung to buy it iv always been jap all the way since 17 my 172 being the first french car and a brief spell in an alfa

RB 200
I'd heard the performance of a gt86 wasn't brilliant? Handling seemed to be the only good point of many reviews I've read.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I'd heard the performance of a gt86 wasn't brilliant? Handling seemed to be the only good point of many reviews I've read.

I don't think they were ever intended to set records at the ring, all about the drive etc.

It is a bit pony by comparisson to other cars akin to this one. I like them to look at, but thats where it ends for me.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member

They are a bit gutless but they do handle well, I think of them a little like an MX-5. The chassis can take a lot more power, I see a few tuners out there dropping new lumps in them, turbo's etc.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I saw a GT86 the other day at a petrol station and thought it looked dull as!

I didn't even pick up what it was at first - looked like any other jap box to me!

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6

I wouldent get out of bed for the GT86's performance figures

The looks dont justify the sluggish ness

ST
I don't think they were ever intended to set records at the ring, all about the drive etc.

It is a bit pony by comparisson to other cars akin to this one. I like them to look at, but thats where it ends for me.

Gammon tbh.. The figures don't merit the price tag.

Starlet_gt

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T5.1
I must be pretty lucky in the clio department. I've had 2 mark 3's over 4 years and never had a problem really.

Hope you enjoy the new car