ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

went on the rollers saturday...

Clio RS
and only made 160bhp and 117 kw instead of the 172bhp and 124kw

the guy who ownes the rollers says that any petrol engine doesn't make the power that the manufacturer says

there was a Focus RS also there who made 265 instead of 305
and a Mazda MPS who also was about 40 bhp short...

I'm kinda disappointed...

thinking about a chip and changing the filter
I've allready ordered a K&n replacement

any thought or ideas?

Dominique

RS clio's never seem to make book figure so wouldn't worry too much.

If it had said you had 185bhp would you have been happy? Even though the car would be exactly the same.

Clio RS
well, if it would have said 185, I'd be flippin because the car is stock
no, I was just thinking about 170bhp or something like that...

I pay insurance for a car that has 124kw what means that it is a higher category so... that kind of an issue for me

the guy who did the test also said the same that it's just a figure
if the car feels good and strong, I should be happy

oh well, time to save some money and maybe change some thing to make 172bhp or more...

182+1.5DCI+S2000
You should be happy 160hp is f*ing good even if its all still stock. + dont forget its around 5 years old.

GL

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
yeah that is quite a good figure, they normally make around 155 standard IIRC, thats all Im hoping from mine this saturday

Fabia VRS & Yeti
Don't forget that is the reading at the wheels with drivetrain loss etc. I thought 1*2's were roughly 150bhp atw so 160 isn't bad going!

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
the guy who did the test also said the same that it's just a figure
if the car feels good and strong, I should be happy

That's the way I look at it, if the car feels 'right' then I am happy. Loads of other car's won't make the power they are supposed to.

I have only ever put one car on a RR and that was because I had put a highly modified turbo engine in the car and I wanted to check the fuelling and I also needed a figure to quote to the insurance company.

I don't plan to change anything on the engine/ECU of the car so I doubt my Clio will ever see the rollers for the length of time I own it.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
160bhp sounds pretty decent TBH. The 172 refers to 172PS = 169.6bhp.

But all rollers vary on how they process at the fly figures. Closest thing really is to compare at the wheel figures, even then, don't think you can really compare with other rollers.

wats 1*2????

1*2 is short for "172 or 182"

Inferno 182
Why be dissappointed?
Presumably the car was no slower leaving the session than it was beforehand?
Judge the cars performance on an actual road, not the rollers.
Take the car along a twisty road and you will probably not wish for more bhp.
Always baffles me why people are concerned by RR results and straight drag races. The Clio is for back roads, where it excels.

Megane Mk4
It's french, it never makes the bhp they say it does..

Are you going to take it back for it only having 1998cc instead of the 2000cc they say it's supposed to be too? ;)

Clio RS
Why be dissappointed?
Always baffles me why people are concerned by RR results and straight drag races. The Clio is for back roads, where it excels.

took it on the backroads saturdayafternoon, had more than enough bhp to keep me occupied:D

160bhp sounds pretty decent TBH. The 172 refers to 172PS = 169.6bhp.

But all rollers vary on how they process at the fly figures. Closest thing really is to compare at the wheel figures, even then, don't think you can really compare with other rollers.
Correct :)

I got 210 on surrey's rr, my cars supposedly a 230, most make what mine did. I'm not complaining.

Ph1
Why be dissappointed?

What a stupid thing to say about drag racing. You couldnt get a more accurate ''on the road'' indication than a straight line sprint and time'd result

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Correct :)

I got 210 on surrey's rr, my cars supposedly a 230, most make what mine did. I'm not complaining.

Thought it was worth mentioning since a lot of people don't know that, even I think in Top Gear Clarkson said it was 182bhp for the 182, and even insurers see my 172 as 172bhp, so if I can get it upto 180bhp on the rollers, it's technically to them only an 8bhp increase!

Am down at Surrey's rr end of this month and then hopefully in Jan for the meet with some engine mods. See what they say then, hoping for 160-165bhp standard, but if its healthy, power figures don't really mean too much.

Last edited:
  Ph1
Their all measured in PS so all should be technically ''down'' on power lol but for a 172 i thought the average figure is 166 - 169 ish at the fly

I could be talking s**t, but didnt they do 2 versions of the 172 in Belguim (sp) with 2 different power figures in kw to fit in with the insurance thing?.

Clio RS
yess, I believe we have a ragnotti model over here
that is the basic version to build a rally car but there aren't to many around.

mine's a original 172

after all the feedback here on the forum, I'm less disappointed about the figure
maybe a remap in the future

we shall see

cheers guys!!! ;)