ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Went to see a willy...

Im on the look out for a Williams and living in Aberdeen I will have to travel 400 miles to find one! To my surprise while visiting my sis in Inverness on Sat I see a Willy 2 in paper 2 mins down the road...RESULT! Swung round and it looked clean...went back the next day and Hmmmmm! Boot was SOAKING wet, drivers seat lifted about a foot off the floor towards the steering wheel, under the bonnet was covered in copious amounts of filler/bodyshop dust (said he got rear arches done but why so much under bonnet??) , car wouldnt start but he handily had a jump start battery thingy in the boot and finally the engine did not have the cover on it that says Williams or whatever so wondered wether it was poss a 1.8 16v as my mates old one got swapped after blowing up. Anyway leaving the boys gutted at what a bucket it was curiosity took over so took reg L924 XVV. What I really posted all this sh*t for was to see if anyone knew anything of the car as I suspect its been crashed or summat! (sorry for length of crap..lol)

black golf v6 4 motion

No No it is defo a williams checked with ins web site "reno" and came up with williams (williams 2 i think)

A Williams 2 would be on an M-plate for certain. Any Williams on an L-plate would be one of the original 390 Williams (know as Williams 1) and would have a plaque on the dash. Sounds suspect. I would check it for you on the national register, but its down at the moment.

A Willy would have its front wheels poking right out into the arches courtesy of wider tracks and would have a smaller fabricated steel (rather than alloy) exhaust manifold. I doubt anyone would go this far in creating a Williams replica.

That sounds like a right sh*tter of a car and I would ignore it. Its hard to find a good one, but from time to time people like myself put their cherished and perfect examples up for sale.

A Williams 2 on an L plate is personalised if anything, but it doesnt look very personal.. so dunno.

The spark plug cover is the same as the 16v anyway.. so wouldnt be able to tell from that.

Dodgy stickers would tie in with the arches being done.. no one knows how to put them on right (you have to put them on what appears to be WRONG for it to be original..)

Lots of other ways to tell anyway.

http://www.daz-uk.com/williams/http://www.daz-uk.com/williams/ for the differences between the 1 and 2.. and differences from the 16v.

Well I said to him its a Williams 1 but he swore blind it was a 2 (no numbered plaque and only said Williams on the back) but he was a big Chav so wasnt going to argue!

Williams 2s say "Williams 2" on the back and both rear arches.

Williams 1 should have a plaque tho..

Spotting a Williams 1 from a 2 is pretty easy - as long as you know what to look for.. lights, boot strip, bump strips, grill, boot carpet, electric mirrors (not in Williams 1) etc..

Alright MK3COL - I live in Inverness and have a Williams 2 - not the one you looked at tho;)

I have heard about another Williams kicking about but my mate worked on it I think and said it was a complete dog. He reckons the engine had some major work done on it, the head or maybe even replaced as it had new hoses,clips etc on it. He says there are too many things to list that are wrong with it but having driven mine he wouldnt touch it with a barge pole.

He says it had all the badges and interior but it was in a shocking state - someone at renault in Inverness recently told me the same thing funnily enough after I mentioned seeing it.

I picked mine up in Bradford! A long journey but worth it - I had a similar experience to you - was in Aberdeen a saw a Williams for sale just a few miles out along the A96 so went to check it out. It was basically welded to the spot of concrete and full of mold! It was worth about £1,000 tops and they wanted £5,000!!!

I would sell you mine but I want too much for it:eek:

Laguna 2, Westfield

Quote: Originally posted by Daz on 05 July 2004

Dodgy stickers would tie in with the arches being done.. no one knows how to put them on right (you have to put them on what appears to be WRONG for it to be original..)
How do you mean? just curious..

I think if mines anything to go by the "2" doesnt quite match the "Williams" for height - it annoys me when I notice it!

Quote: Originally posted by MarkRS on 05 July 2004

How do you mean? just curious..
They arnt symmetrical on the 2/3 (spelling?) either side.. so if you look at one, then look at the other, they are in different places!

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

I thought that when you bought the stickers from reno they came with a cardboard templete to place over the rub strips to get them correctly aligned ?

Any pictures of it.

The drivers seat just sounds like it will need repositioning on one of the adjustment leavers - nothing to worry about there. If the boot floor is wet, then it could of been like that for months as the foam under the carpet doesnt let the condensation or water escape.

I check mine regularly in winter.........With having a sunroof.

Quote: Originally posted by northy on 06 July 2004

I thought that when you bought the stickers from reno they came with a cardboard templete to place over the rub strips to get them correctly aligned ?
The numbers arnt part of the main Williams bit.

When mine go on, Mats going to measure his.. as its the only way we can see of it going on 100% right..