ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wet tyres or snow tyres?

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Got a set of Wintrac's so will give them a go this winter.
RSR's rest of time ;)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Fake 4wd.

Needzzz 4wd Roy. I would pick up a set of fronts for any future fwd car.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I used Rainsport 2's on my 182 for 2 years and had no problems whatsoever in snow/ice/rain etc

I couldnt be f**ked buying 'winter' tyres then Uniroyals again in the summer. I've never needed them in 9 years of driving!

That may be so but how far do you go in the 'bad' winter?

I literally go everywhere in the snow still, and with winter problems it is not a worry/problem. Just means I can worry about other tools on the road.

Usually people who say that are the people who haven't experienced winter tyres in extreme conditions.

PB Clio 172
It all depends on how much it snows and if the temp is under 10c

where I live it never snows well maybe 1 day a year so there is no point in me buying them but if I lived in Scotland it would be a whole different story!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I didnt read your story Chip - i live in Scotland, im not a 'hero' as you put it. Just apply common sense.

If its really that bad a day, i wont go out/to work. Its my opinion so im whole heartedly not interested in yours or any other winter tyre bummers either.

We (Scotland) didnt get any snow last winter so why would i need 'winter' tyres for rain? LOL.

I simply dont need them. For a man of you're calibre this will not be hard to grasp :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I didnt read your story Chip

Seems weird to reply to someone just to tell them you didnt read something, all the posts I dont read I dont reply to either, seems to make more sense that way TBH

i live in Scotland, im not a 'hero' as you put it.

Thats weird, thought you didnt read it.

Just apply common sense.

EXACTLY, common sense says if you have a job where you need to be mobile in the winter when it might be snowy, then have the best tyres you can for it if you cant justify having a 4wd car for it.

If its really that bad a day, i wont go out/to work.

I would sooner not have to do that, I quite often have important things to do and dont want a bit of snow to decide that I cant when its so easy to overcome with the correct tyres.

I simply dont need them. For a man of you're calibre this will not be hard to grasp :)
Indeed, if you dont have a requirement for winter transport on snowy days and just stay home instead you dont need them, if others do want to stay mobile though, they will benefit for them, that should be easy even for a man of your caliber to grasp :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Because you seem to be getting emotional about it?

No, im getting factual about it, I cant see the point in people like you posting when you have no experience of them when people like me who do have experience of them can therefore give a much more useful reply.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Never bought tyres online before, any website recommendations? As I will more than likely need some for the BMW this year :(

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Camskill
Mytyres

Make sure you check local fitting prices as garages aren't daft!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
I ran a ph1 2 years ago that had badly worn michelins on the front through the worst winter for decades, drove to work etc, forget winter tyres, get some r888's instead. :rasp:

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I had a high score multiqoute for this, then f**ked it up at the final hurdle,

I'll post some common sense tomorrow.

Last edited:
  Chav Rocket

Jealous much. Not everyone is work shy like you. "oh mummy its snowing can i stay home"

Where i used to live was in a valley and when it snows/ices up it was literally inpossible/dangerous to go anywhere without winter tyres.
If you are gonna get snow Its a small investment to look after your life/car/gf etc.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
As above.

Worst case scenario:

Average public sector worer = 'thanks for trying anyway'
Me = Regulatory fines - tens of thousands
Site - loss of hundreds of thousands
Me - loss of job, ultimately.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
"oh mummy its snowing can i stay home"

Made me laugh/cry last year (or was it year before)

Day workers - applauded for making it home without dying after being given an early finish time of 2pm (started falling)
Shift workers - ''work or else, b****cks to your safety'' (7am-7pm)

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Can we keep this on topic please?
Dont think theres any need to turn this into a bitchfight over sometyres tbh.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Jealous much. Not everyone is work shy like you. "oh mummy its snowing can i stay home"

Where i used to live was in a valley and when it snows/ices up it was literally inpossible/dangerous to go anywhere without winter tyres.
If you are gonna get snow Its a small investment to look after your life/car/gf etc.

Jealous?

You're nearly right, i do work 5 months of the year!

Also, suck my balls :)

Last edited: