ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What are spacers?

172 MKII FF
I've seen these mentioned in lots of posts but never quite grasped exactly what they are and what they do, could anyone elaborate?

www.renparts.co.uk
basically a metal ring that goes between the hub and the wheel to make your wheels to sit further out of the arches/fill the arches better.. theyre available off the shelf as small as 3mm all the way up to wheel bearing eating 45mm and custom ones larger than that...

172 MKII FF
Ah right I see/ I've noticed on mine that the arch seems to cover over the wheel and wondered what could be done to make the wheel 'pop' out more. What is the recommended spacer 'width' to get the wheel lined up with the arch?

Also, are they not dangerous?

heres a b4 and after of my spacers, had to take them off as they too big, gonna get some smaller ones as i like the look they give.

008.jpg
014.jpg

XE'd Corsa
dont use them unless you have to, they are used to make alloy wheels fit not really something i'd recommended just for looks.

There not allowed to stick out from the body work, mine were 3 1/2 inchs all together. so 1 3/4 inch each!
and hence illegal thats why i havent kept them on. plus they rubbed when going over bumps.
was thinking of about 20mm next time.

got FK ones in stock, im going to put some in the for sale section tomorrow.

come in 10, 15 and 20mm and will need extended wheel bolts.

Keep an eye on for sale section, im posting up a link tomorrow.

172 MKII FF

How much difference will 10 mm make to standard 172 alloys? I don't want them illegal or anything and just want the wheels 'padding' out a little to be inline with the wheel arch.

10mm will be about right if you want them inline. The pic above is a tad extreme, if they hit a bump id bet the tyre will hit the arch, causing damage.

5 or 10mm on a standard 172 should be enough, any more you will have to think about the damage it might cause.

ive got 5mm Eibach ones on mine, makes a difference in terms of looks, however remember you'll need extended wheel bolts to go thorough the spacers. about £2 each.

Black 172
Why would you want to make your wheels stick out more ?? i dont understand it. If they were supposed to stick out more to aid performance or anything then i am sure loads of people would do it, but just for looks lol !! i think that stuck out looks awful and like said above probably illegal !

Black 172

How much difference will 10 mm make to standard 172 alloys? I don't want them illegal or anything and just want the wheels 'padding' out a little to be inline with the wheel arch.

I know its off topic but i noticed you were from Oldham, i live in Ashton not too far from you dont see many cliosporters round here

172 MKII FF
Why would you want to make your wheels stick out more ?? i dont understand it. If they were supposed to stick out more to aid performance or anything then i am sure loads of people would do it, but just for looks lol !! i think that stuck out looks awful and like said above probably illegal !

I just noticed on my 172 the arch seems to come out more than the wheel and thought maybe some of these spacers would align the wheel with the arch.

172 MKII FF

I know its off topic but i noticed you were from Oldham, i live in Ashton not too far from you dont see many cliosporters round here

Lol, since I bought mine i've seen quite a few in the Oldham area.

if they aint sticking out from the body work they are legal.

they do aid performance as its more stable on the ground,
but mine were too big by far.