ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What are your guys thoughts on wheel spacers for a road car??

Z4x2 & buying a 182
Let me know if this should be posted in a different part of the forum?

Interested to know thoughts on wheel speacers - not actually for the clio its for my dd . I think the wheels could really benefit from a cm or two but on other forums I've had people put me off on the grounds of safety...bolts snapping, alignment getting screwed up etc?

Z4x2 & buying a 182
Daily driver, got a z4 coupe that I love but the wheels just dont sit right to me...would look better spaced

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Spacers are completely fine on a road car when done properly with either longer bolts/studs or the bolt to hub type spacer.

Z4x2 & buying a 182
Spacers are completely fine on a road car when done properly with either longer bolts/studs or the bolt to hub type spacer.

So as long as I buy e.g. eibach or a reputable brand direct you reckon should be fine.....

The idea of a wheel falling off whilst on the motorway has held me back to date 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
like he said, done right there's no issues.

for example Scutch had them on his M3. just look at it...………..LOOK AT IT

Also I think we need more photo's for your Z4. Which wheels do you have on it, they look epic on a decent set of CSL style wheels.

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader
I've never had an issue, it's the people who buy poor brands or simply try to 'get away' with standard bolts on spacers just because they're only 5mm for example..

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
As above, good quality is a must, and make sure you use longer bolts or spacers that bolt to the hub.

In terms of geometry, it can have a negative impact but, provided you don't go too wide, you probably won't notice in reality.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
So as long as I buy e.g. eibach or a reputable brand direct you reckon should be fine.....

The idea of a wheel falling off whilst on the motorway has held me back to date 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yeah.

I know loads who use spacers on track without issue.

Anything over 5-10mm need to be hubcentric.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Have you changed anything else bfrom standard? specifically wheels. As the offset and width of these can add to geo changes, so need to be considered if using spacers also.

I have had spacers on my Clio and on my M3. The M3 has 20mm spacers on the front, vand it had 20 on rear but I widened the tyres so removed them as the extra 20mm of tyre filled the gap nicely. So if its just looks there are other ways than spacers.

20mm spacers with standard tyres

media7.jpg

20mm spacers with wider tyres (Scrubbed like a b**ch)

BMW-M3-275TyresL.jpg

No rear spacers and wider tyres.
BMW-M3-NoSpacers-RearL3qtr1.jpg

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Got them on my TTS, they make up for the fact I don't want to lower it because I don't wanna mess with the mag ride setup. They help fill out the arch more and make any gap appear smaller.

P-Co

ClioSport Club Member
  Hyundai Santa Fe
I had 15mm spacers on the front and 18mm on the rear of my pug only to clear the brake calipers with my wheel choice, but never had an issue and handled a dream still for 3 years like that with extended wheel bolts