ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What can I change on my Akrapovic exhaust to make it sound louder, but not illegal?

2018 RS 220 Trophy
Hello guys!

First time posting here, hopefully I'm not breaking any rules :D Also English isn't my first language, so there's bound to be some mistakes.

What I am wondering is, what kind of modification can I do to my car (2018 Clio 220 Trophy Stage 1) to make it sound a bit more louder? I have a Akrapovic exhaust on it, but I find it lacking compared to my old 275 Megane Cup-S. Has anyone done something like this?

Thanks in advance!
Nish

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yea for sure, but so will a loud exhaust.

If you're handy with the spanners you can just re-install the catalyst for the MOT test, then take it back off right after.

2018 RS 220 Trophy
Hmm yeah that would be one of the solutions. To just switch it before MOT. I wanna get soemthing permanent though. Also I don't want it to be as loud as a Formula 1 car haha. Just a bit louder than it is now :)

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Taking the cat out is the only thing you can do to make the akra louder.
You could of taken a mid box out...but the akra doesn't have one.

I personally think the akropovic sounds perfect as it is. I have a 220 trophy also

Welcome to the club!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
You’ll never make it as loud as an F1 car, and trust me on this, you don’t want to.

As above, a decat is your only real option short of selling the Akra and getting a custom exhaust made.

2018 RS 220 Trophy
You’ll never make it as loud as an F1 car, and trust me on this, you don’t want to.

As above, a decat is your only real option short of selling the Akra and getting a custom exhaust made.

I don't want it to sound like an F1 car, not even close. It's just that the pops and bangs seem so muffled compared to my previous 275 Cup-S

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry, I misread your post above!

Yeah, a cat will muffle those quite a lot. Worth trying a decat for the price anyway, at least it won't ruin the note of the Akra.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I've seen on the FB group someone who fitted a valve that bypasses the rear box all together. Switchable aswell

OP - Why do you want a louder car? I personally think intentionally loud cars are silly and you annoy everybody else with them.

I've just had the cat re-fitted to my 172 and relished the lower volume.

I understand people like to customise etc and I am no different but loud exhausts are intrusive to others.. especially if you are coming/going early/late in the day. Like, where I live motorcycles and loud cars often bother me at night.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
OP - Why do you want a louder car? I personally think intentionally loud cars are silly and you annoy everybody else with them.

I understand people like to customise etc and I am no different but loud exhausts are intrusive to others.. especially if you are coming/going early/late in the day. Like, where I live motorcycles and loud cars often bother me at night.
True except a nicer exhaust note often comes with a little more volume, I'm dreading the day we all drive silent electric cars

2018 RS 220 Trophy

I hate obnoxiously loud cars and motorcycles too. BUT the exhaust system I currently have is TOO quiet for my taste :)

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One

Having had Mk2’s and now got a Mk4 with very little in the way of exhaust other than back boxes I have to say my 182 was miles louder with a cat and Scorpion system on.
The Turbos on the 200/220’s quieten then down a fair bit.

2018 RS 220 Trophy
Having had Mk2’s and now got a Mk4 with very little in the way of exhaust other than back boxes I have to say my 182 was miles louder with a cat and Scorpion system on.
The Turbos on the 200/220’s quieten then down a fair bit.

Yeah, I don't know what Renault did to make it sound so quiet. I had a 182 aswell some time ago and it was definitely louder than my Trophy