ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What can I do to my clio???

clio 1.4 sport
Hi everyone i'm pretty new to this but here goes.

i've just got a 2000 1.4 clio sport not quite my dream car (my dream car being the 3.0 V6) but it'll do at the moment. I want it to be faster without an engine conversion. I've already thought of the small mods e.g boost valve, ecotek valve induction kit and exhaust but i want it faster any ideas???

Calvin

seriously mate, yeah sure port it fit tb's etc etc all your doings throwing good money on a crap car.

Theres loads of decent motors you can buy, motors that are ten times what a clio is.

fair enough every trip in a clio is an adventure, whats gonna break or fall of next etc, if it went liek a rocket we could tolerate iot but it doesn't go spend a grand on a sabb 9000 carlson, air con luxury with 225bhp and 150mph top whack, old mans car you say? well its got a big boot, spaciopus back seat and 2 girls can sit happily on the passenger seat.

I miss my saab

clio 1.4 sport
yeah thats cool mate but the reason y i'm keeping it is coz a few years ago i was a muppet and got caught driving my mates car in a car park and got 6 points coz of it. i thought as its a group 3 it'll be cheaper to insure which it would be compared to a Saab 9000

Arctic Blue Clio 182
hmm airfilter, decat and decent exhaust system should help unleash 1 or 2 extra ponies!!! lol. Then the usual strippin the interior out and coilovers.

oh and 13" lightwieght alloys lol

Vectra :(
Forget about the eco-s**t valve and the power boost thingy me jiggy you said about in your first post. They are for want of a better word pants!

The eco-s**t does nothing and there are even reports that prolonged use will fook the engine. If you check the website etc now it probably doesnt say anything about gains etc as i am sure something happened and they were no longer allowed to quote the rubbish they were doing.

The power boost valve does has some uses however i would say its not really any use to you

If you have to keep the 1.4 then your best facing reality that for a decent amount of money its going to be no quicker than it is really.

You can improve the responsivness (sp) by adding things like decat, zorst, panel filter/viper etc but these wont really gain you any BHP worth shouting about. Depending on the set up my lose you a few :S

Best bet would be to uprate the suspension and brakes first. If you can corner faster and brake later thats going to help you a lot more than spanking £1000+ for an extra few BHP.

After that and a few cosmetic mods if you need to i would seriously save the money you would have spent on the engine and put it towards your next car.

Rick

P.S. The Chips of ebay dont work either :rasp:

Few Websites for reference r.e. Brakes and Suspension setups. Not a lot on offer for tuning the 1.4 tho. But i have found all the below companies very helpful in the past

Hillpower - http://www.hillpower.co.uk/

GDI - http://www.greydevilindustries.com/

BBPT - http://www.bbperformancetuning.co.uk/

Yozzasport - http://www.yozzasport.com/

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
you can have alot of fun with handling and better brakes..

personally simple exhaust and filter for a little extra response and sound is the best for £ on the 1.4.

that would be my route.

Andy

Clio 182 FF 2005
yea make it stick the road like its on rails, i just got decat and airfilter on for cheap decent gains and fk coilovers, with grooved discs - but my mate has a 1.2 biarrats (5more bhp standard than mine) and he asked me a for race earlier down this empty road round some roundabouts and i left him standing on roundabouts i could hit them at almost twice the speed as him and it was still pretty even on the straights but because of the cornering he was no where near me, then just save save save and be patient until u can afford to get a decent car, what im planning on doing.

M2 Competition
Agree with the above. Lower the suspension, fit 16's, so it looks, and handles spot on.

Colourcode it, and then engine wise, just an air filter, and exhaust.

Main thing is, it will 'feel' quicker, and sound quicker. if you do anything further it will up the insurance a lot, and as you said, cheap insurance is a concern.

You'll have loads of fun in it like that mate, i drove an '02 1.2 16v in the above spec for a year, and it was a hoot! especially round the b-roads, where its more about handling than grunt.

Black Clio GT
i put a pipercross filter and a straight through cat back on my 1.2 and it made 96bhp on the rollong road whch ant bad, i lowered it 60mm on a spax kit and it was awesome fun to drive just not all that fast in a straight line!!

clio 1.4 sport
Thanks to everyone for all your responses i'll bare it all in mind. My mate put a 1.1 gearbox in his Pug 106 quicksilver which made it accelerate alot quicker would that be any good for my car and and would it damage the engine?

Vectra :(
Regarding the gearbox comments i really wouldnt bother, for the price of buying a box and fitting it really isnt worth it. Also what you gain lower down you might lose top end etc etc. I dont know that much about the different clio boxes available so you would have to research it but i doubt it would make a great difference.

I cant see a 1.1 106 box making much of a difference to your mates quicksilver either as IIRC the 1.1 106 box is the same as the quicksilver box except the final drive is different.

96bhp for a 1.2? I doubt that. 1.2s come with 60/75bhp standard so your saying from basic mods you have managed a hike of 36/21bhp?

What mods do you have to achieve this as 96bhp is 1.4 power.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
will deffo have to agree withsome of the lads. that suspension and brake upgrade ate your best bet oh and wider wheels for grip. get a lot or out of it than any engine upgrade

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Lightweight 15s with 195/50/15
Coilovers or Apex suspension kit
Good pads, discs and braided brake lines
Stripped

In that order!!
I've got a 1.4S and had it for 3 years, believe me thats the best you can do. If you want noise get an induction kit but you wont see any gains!!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive got full apex suspension, standard disks with EBC GreenStuff pads, turinis which give the car a wider track than standard wheels with wider 195 tyres.

sometimes scarey how much grip it has lol goes alright and stops alright. strip it and you'll have even more fun.

i was worried that 16s would make a difference to acceleration over my 15s and i found out that their was not 1 bit of difference (16" on 45 profille 15s on 55) it did however make it feel less "chuckable" than it was on the 15s

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
As with above, 15's, coilovers and decent brakes.

My 16's have lost the go karty feel i had on the 14's, and my Apex kit is good for fast road, but not track.

clio 1.4 sport
i've already got 15inch wolfrace ikons so i think i'm part of the way there... I decided not to go for the gear box thing anyway coz i just found out it fuct up this morning. so u all think just an induction kit exhaust and better brakes then??? I was looking at the viper induction kit what do u think?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Id rate suspension and brakes before any exhaust and ik. They also dont do a viper for our engines cos the way the throttle body is mounted is utterly shite!!

btw my best 1/4 mile time was 17.7 so even stripped out your not gonna have a world beating time!! However on the twisties im the smae pace as 172s (same chassis!) and tehres scottish memeber who will testify this!!