ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What can you tell me about the Clio Authentique 1.2?

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
After alot of viewings & alot of dogs I found an 02 (51) 1.2 authen, 72k 2 owners from new. Went to start It after the deed was done, nothing, just didn't turn the starter. After two or three attempts, It starts. Same thing In the petrol station, after that she gets home fine.

Today no probs, but my first drive In her tonight she played up again. On the drive out I deliberately took her up a steep hill, but there was no go In second, just gutless. Get to the top, pull over. Its Idelling but revving up & down between 1 & 3k. My bro plays around with the revvy bit, seemed to be fine.

Im soo pissed off now, have I brought another sh1t box? :rolleyes:

Help!

A.J

F360 BCGT 182
Re: What can you tlle me about the Clio Authentique 1.2?

It sounds as if it needs a new starter motor and a good service mate.

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26

Cheers bud, It will get a full service & what ever It needs this week. My bro was reading up about these particular models & said they are prone to this problem?

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF

starting issue, the live wire on the starter motor can become contaminated (goes all nasty and green, unplug it, scrape the little spade contact on the stater until its clean, a fine sand paper will do fine. Spray some elecrical cleaner or break cleaner into the connector. Refit and she should be fine, if not the starter will be fooked.

as for the revving up and down, is it an 8v or 16v?

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26

cheers Al, not sure If Its an 8 or 16v! should av bought yours shouldn't I!

Golf GTD

Authentique is an 8v mate. Mine has the occasional start problem, going to try what AliBailey suggests!

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26

So you don't think I've bought a sh1t box? :(

alien green rs133

battery in the key?
and there might be a leak on the inlet manifold, causing hunting.

E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf

No mine had exact same problem! I nearly burnt it lol

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26

lol, great! :( Cheers for the help guys, I'll get my bro to read this thread & go from there!

Oh, the spare key battery Is dying too so maybe thats not helping

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF

Authentique is an 8v mate. Mine has the occasional start problem, going to try what AliBailey suggests!

can be a 16v or a 1.4 16v aswel

PH1 172

i thought it would have been a 16v as its a ph2 i presume, my gf has a 1.2 16v dynamique and hers was getting gutless hard to start and just got worse quiet quickly. Turned out to be a coilpack and leads as they are a combined unit, new unit and away it went ran much better than before.

1.2 Dynamique 16v

could it be the idle control valve causing it to rev up and down? I have a 1.4 16v Vauxhall Corsa which had this problem and I had the ICV replaced which fixed the problem. But it started doing it again yesterday on the way to looking at a Clio. Its going in to get sorted and then selling it.

Idk if Clios have these though?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Oh, and as for the revving up and down bit, I had the same and I removed the throttle body, washed it all out with brake cleaner, WD40d it all and it ran perfik!

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26

Cheers v much lads. Im getting a bitter taste already :(

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

It sounds fine, these little 1.2's (especially if its the 8v) go on for a long time, and are very easy to fix.

As Daniel said clean up the TB, but not with wd40, as I found it just dried out after time, I used some silicone spray and it seemed to solve it :)

Also, if its got once, check the ICV, give it a new air filter whilst you're there too, the 1.2's are often neglected big style, so a simple service can have them running like clockwork again.

The other thing, if the starting issue gets worse, and it starts to never start, get the crank sensor changed, easy to do and cheap too.

Tried a good ol' italian tune up?

BMW M135i

Does the immobiliser light go out when it won't start first of all? Probably better if it does tbh as at least they're things you can fix without a clip machine.

Swap you a wash for a fix ;). (god knows it needs one)

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought Awfulthentiques only came in 1.28v or 1.5 dci 65 models??
I concur.

Clio 182 arctic

i used to have a 1.2 8v authentique before i got the 182. it was bludy brilliant, slow, but brilliant. never went wrong, crashed 3 times and its still going strong still see it driving around.
interior is basic to say the least but its a good little car plus if the cambelt goes theres only 8 valvess to replace. ;)

Fiesta ST-3

i had a similar problem, turned out to be coilpack. Also be sure to check ur crank sensor

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Fankyeew guys, Its had a full service today. Inc cleaning everything suggested on here. Next will be the cam belt, not sure If Its been done but better to be safe than sorry :)

Ben the light did go out, It hasn't played up since so fingers crossed!