ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What Car - road test of 197

Out on the whatcar website. The bottom line is they're not impressed with the steering and think the motors too top endy.

VaVa
I'm not entirely surprised.

Peak power 7250 rpm and a 7500 redline. Electronic Power steering. The clues are there!!

Ad

MK2 FRS
Loony said:
electronic PAS ? :( boo! bet the motor whines like the one on a sh*tty BINI.

well it whined like fook on the meggy. Weird as it was quiet as on the CTR.

VaVa
Sounds like the steering is the same as my missus mk3 1.4 Dynamique. It feels so unnatural the way it trys so hard to straighten itself when the wheel is just off centre. Really strong resistance around the centre, then you turn it so far and it goes really light on you. Feels horrible and makes it hard to be precise with steering inputs.

The steering was my biggest worry, rather that the straightline speed like some others, after having driven my missus's. Looks like it's pretty similar in the 197.

Boooooooooooooooo! :dapprove: :dapprove: :dapprove: :dapprove: :dapprove: :dapprove: :dapprove:

172 Cup
adtmits said:
Not overly excited are they.

It's a brief intro.. Wait until the full review.

Anyway it appears to be written by the cleaner - "most of the action doesn't kick in until beyond 5000rpm" Erm name me a NA petrol hot hatch where the action kicks in much before 5k!?!?

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Renault claims an average fuel consumption of 31.7mpg, but you'll do well to get anywhere near that figure if you're an enthusiastic driver.

It's not a shopping car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
Loony said:
electronic PAS ? :( boo! bet the motor whines like the one on a sh*tty BINI.

the mini was electronically hydrualicly assisted. lots more electric pressure was required. was a noisy bastad i must admit! cant see renaults being noisy though. as sum1 else sed the ctrs was fine.

i think the 197s on prob has been numb feeling. thats it. autocars writeup basically says its more composed and understeer free. so better. just a tad numb.

Nissan 350Z
Sounds like what car is a little more realistic than autocar... saying that the 31.7 MPG figure is unlikely if you are an enthusiastic driver, as most RS owners seem to be.

The Autocar review on the other hand, suggested 182 owners were unlikely to even see 25 MPG, despite the fact that most RS owners see 27+ and in fact, the 182 has a 35 MPG combined figure - better in fact, than the 197.