ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what difference does a decat make?

clio (sleeper)
ive just booked my car in with charlie for a decat.just wondered what difference people have noticed with a decat fitted.i have a scorpion cat-back system aswell...

R35 GTR
gone from a decat to sports cat. I actually think there is more power with the sports cat. Managed to spin the wheels quite nicely at top of second yesterday. Might have just been the ambient temperature though.

172cup
just gone from prospeed decat back to standard system... and noticed a big difference.

When i had it on... i always said there was bugger all in it... but when i took it off, i lost a massive kick after 5k

M2 Competition
Decats ftw.

Have tried mine with it on and off a few times, feels like theres a sponge stuck under accelerator pedal with it in, soo much rawer without.

clio (sleeper)
i hope mine doesnt sound too loud.ive got a scorpion catback at the mo and it sounds nice and deep on tickover and not too loud on the motorway.

172cup
you can get silenced/unsilenced...

... i had the silenced decat and even that was very loud!! Sounded really good though

ive just booked my car in with charlie for a decat.just wondered what difference people have noticed with a decat fitted.i have a scorpion cat-back system aswell...

you might notice its harder to get through an MOT ;)

edit: I always thought post 1994 cars that came with a Cat had to have one to pass an MoT, but I just read that aslong as it still passes emissions it is ok. Which one IS correct, just seen two different sources say different things

Last edited:
It is not part of an MOT test to actually check if a cat is fitted, it was only law for manufacturers to fit cats on cars.

So if you car without cat passes the emissions test then your car is MOT legal. Some care do pass but the clio is not one of them!

Also you will face another issue with insurance, as very few insurance companies will insure a car with a de-cat fitted.

you might notice its harder to get through an MOT ;)

edit: I always thought post 1994 cars that came with a Cat had to have one to pass an MoT, but I just read that aslong as it still passes emissions it is ok. Which one IS correct, just seen two different sources say different things

clio (sleeper)
had my de-cat done saturday and im not sure but i think its slower:S
its got a higher pitch sound than before and pops more but i didnt notice it being quicker :S
is it just me or has anyone else had this?

FF-Cupped 182 '05
had my de-cat done saturday and im not sure but i think its slower:S
its got a higher pitch sound than before and pops more but i didnt notice it being quicker :S
is it just me or has anyone else had this?

Had my decat + Milltek done yesterday (coming from a standard setup) and I too think it has noticeable less torque. Also the 5k rpm kick is less pronounced, maybe it's just a feeling :S .

Love the sound though..

VaVa
I had a prospeed cat back. Then went to a GDI/Piper with Janspeed decat.

Out of all the mods I've done (Maxogen,GrpN ECU, Inlets, Fuel pressure regulator) this was easily the most noticeable. Wants to spin up in first in the dry now, which it never did before. More power all through the rev range.