ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What do I need for cup front suspension conversion?

Renault Clio 182
Hi,
I have recently bought a 182 thinking it had at least the wheels and suspension cup pack due to the colour of the wheels. Unfortunately after measuring the hubs the spacing is 54mm, so the wheels must have been painted to a darker colour in the past or swapped etc. Not bothered tbh as this is my mistake.
I was looking into converting the front to fit cup suspension; all I know of as of yet is that I need cup hubs and cup driveshafts? Then I will obviously buy 60mm spaced shocks.
Is there anything else that is needed for this conversion?
The car will be a fast road/track car so will the conversion be worth it and noticeable?

Cheers 👍

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
If I remember correctly 172 cup suspension is 54mm spaced. So could just get those and don't go through the trouble of the conversion.

Most coilovers are available in 54mm bolt spacing as well.

Or is there another specific reason to need the 60mm spacing?

Renault Clio 182
If I remember correctly 172 cup suspension is 54mm spaced. So could just get those and don't go through the trouble of the conversion.

Most coilovers are available in 54mm bolt spacing as well.

Or is there another specific reason to need the 60mm spacing?
Thanks for your response! I thought I would benefit from having the cup hubs as they seem to offer more caster and be more suited for track going cars? This is my only real reason for the conversion, if the benefits arent that great then I'll just settle with 54mm spaced coilovers.
Thanks

Renault Clio 182
I thought the 172 Cup, 182 and 182 Cup all shared the same caster?
Oh did they? Is there any real benefit to a cup hub over a non cup hub then? Surely Renault changed the hubs for the cup for some performance gain?
Thanks

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
182 Cup hubs and driveshafts (abs rings are different) are a pain.

I fitted them to mine and now I want coilovers, my choice is vastly limited.

Me personally, I’d stick with 54mm.

Renault Clio 182

Thanks for your response,
I have heard this elsewhere, there seems to be more choices of coilovers and shock with the 54mm.
I think you have helped me make my decision to stick with the 54mm hubs, thanks!

What coilovers are only for 54mm though? Same choice for either spacing surely.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
182 cup has a 25mm front roll bar. 172 has 22mm.

182 cup hubs also had increased steering acumen and a larger wheel flang over the 172 hubs.

Golf
182 cup has a 25mm front roll bar. 172 has 22mm.

182 cup hubs also had increased steering acumen and a larger wheel flang over the 172 hubs.
I've seen this mentioned before, but never an explanation of "steering acumen". What benefits does it bring?

Golf
Just had a quick Google, when people are saying "acumen" do they mean Ackerman? I know what that is from my toy car racing days!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
unless you're a total wheelman, right on the limit of the cars capability and competing in a competitive environment... Just stick with 54mm, loads less hassle for a cheap road car you may chuck on track occasionally

Renault Clio 182
unless you're a total wheelman, right on the limit of the cars capability and competing in a competitive environment... Just stick with 54mm, loads less hassle for a cheap road car you may chuck on track occasionally
Perfect, thanks
Just the answer I needed 👍

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
For future questions about this- The cup hubs also have oversized bearings vs non cup. For spirited driving i think this is the best reason to opt for them- durability. My 182 has 115 k miles and still with the original front bearings