ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What do you think this noise is?

CS Dungeon
The last week or so I have noticed a kind of ticking/clicking sound which I believe is coming from the drivers side front wheel.

I can only hear this sound with the stereo off and the window open and it gets faster the quicker I go and obviously slower under braking until I stop then goes completely.
The noise disappears when i'm accelerating and comes back when I lift off the accelerator, while coasting or between gear changes.

I'm thinking either CV or wheel bearing and will be having the car in bits tomorrow morning.

What do ya reckon?

CS Dungeon
Mine doesnt disappear untill you start to accelerate, only has to just be touching the throttle for it to go but comes back as soon as I lift or ease off of the throttle, no matter what speed i'm doing.
Just the faster i'm going the quicker the clicking ans vice versa.

Jacked the car up and spun the wheel by hand and cant make the noise, nothing feels loose or wobbles either.........hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
I had a once per rev wheel clic that turned out to be the brake anti squeal plate. Also drivers side has all the auxiliaries such as air con pumps they can click but as the noise is only when uner motion it wont be that..

182 Cup
The last week or so I have noticed a kind of ticking/clicking sound which I believe is coming from the drivers side front wheel.

I can only hear this sound with the stereo off and the window open and it gets faster the quicker I go and obviously slower under braking until I stop then goes completely.
The noise disappears when i'm accelerating and comes back when I lift off the accelerator, while coasting or between gear changes.

I'm thinking either CV or wheel bearing and will be having the car in bits tomorrow morning.

What do ya reckon?

I've had exactly that problem with my 182. The ticking started with mine at 15,000 miles after a trackday where I wasn't being particularly sympathetic to the car.

There wasn't any performance difference and the gearbox worked fine, there was just an annoying subtle ticking sound in similar circumstances to the ones you've described.

You won't like the answer to this, but as it was under warrenty at the time Renault took it back and stripped the gearbox down to find the fault. After much scratching of heads they found nothing amiss with the gearbox internals and put it back together. On test driving the noise was still there. One (fortunately free) gearbox later the problem was resolved.

CS Dungeon
had 2 new tyres fitted to the front today TEG and still have the noise, so it isnt that, thats for the effort thou

Inferno, i'm 99.9% certain it is coming from the drivers side. The noise is still there with clutch in and coasting, which is why I also dont think it is likely to be the gearbox.
I wouldnt rule out that possibility just yet, but I obviously want to try the cheaper components 1st.
Driveshaft was quoted £55 today from Cit-Ren and I know where I can sourse a gearbox for £200 if it does turn out to be that, and am happy to drop the sub frame myself to change it after the balls ache I had last time after.