ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What ECU for Clio Cup

At the risk of going over old ground here goes.

I would like to now if anyone has upgraded their 172 Cup with an aftermarket ECU or had a remap done on a rolling road.

What was it and was it any good. What price and where etc.

Lastly, as this is a somewhat clouded issue, is there a risk of the new mapping being wipped when the car is serviced ?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the mapping could only be wiped by renault if you have the group n ecu as this is a renault part.the aftermarket chips etc cant be affected by the renault equipment.

The most popular ECU mod for the cops is the R-Sport ECU. Its a complete replacment ECU so if you wan to bother each time its sent it you can remove the ECU and Renault willnt know about the mod.

Its £200 I think best search for the exact price and phone number though.

Gains are minimal top end but mid range the pull is slighty better you may gain 5hp but its not going to be massive.

You an put the R-Sport ECU in yourself though just remove a bracket and swop the connectors over.

People seem to think its better and for £200 its good but for some better gains best go for an exteranl ECU ie unichip etc which can be RR tunned to about 10~15hp more power. An external ECU is about £250 and then remaping it to your car and its mods is about £250.

As for risks of the Rsport ECU being whipped at service Renault are very unlikly to reload the maps onto your ECU at service they try adn get the car doen as fast as possible so unless new software maps are out then they woulnt bother. Although JAY172 would know more than me on the subject.

EDD

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the renault equipment could wipe an r-sport ecu if a technician attempts to reprogramme it to cure a running fault.if you book in the car for running problems i would remove the r-sport ecu first.the renault clip examines the software version in the ecu.if the software isnt the latest version for the vehicle(the r-sport software could be recognised as an old obselete software version)the clip will erase clean the ecu and download the latest version.obviously this will be the latest road going software and the group n software would be erased.there is a chance that the group n software isnt recognised and the clip refuses to reprogramme it but you would only know this through trial and error.the software version is checked as part of the reprogramming procedure and if it decides to start to reprogramme it you cant stop it without permanatly damaging the ecu.personally i would also remove the ecu even if its booked in for a service because sometimes reprogramming recalls flag up on the renault computers which are carried out when the vehicle enters the workshop for whatever reason(service,fault etc).so there is a chance the ecu could be reprogrammed even if you book it in for a service.a lot of these recalls are only minor so the customer wouldnt recieve a letter and you wouldnt know anythings been carried out before its to late and your group n software has been erased.

i am thinking of getting the group n ecu as ive heard it works well if you also mod the inlet and exhaust systems before.