ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What exhaust doesn't make me want to uninstall life

I'm using the K-tec stealth catback with center resonator on my phase 1 172 with standards manifold and dual cats and I hate it. I hate it so much. It ruins any driving pleasure. The drone is horrible and its just too loud. I'm honestly getting headaches from it and my ears ring after a long drive when I'm not also wearing noise cancelling Airpods or one of those foam ear plugs.

What exhaust doesn't make me want to blow my brains out? I'd prefer something that is kinda stealthy like the ktr one but I haven't really been in the "Clio scene" for a while so I'm not sure whats out there anymore.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Have you thought about keeping your current exhaust and just adding an additional silencer?

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Why not just go standard?

I have two 172’s, one stock and one with a ‘stealth’ which is no doubt even louder and more horrible as its decat and non res.

Do you have the back open? I noticed mine was headache inducing when I had the seats down and parcel shelf removed. The resonance literally cooks my head at that frequency and makes me feel sick.

They still sound good stock, in fact I’d say they sound at their best. When I’ve heard my stock car being driven it sounds good and you can still tell it’s something sporty. The one with the exhaust just sounds embarrassingly loud (I’ll be sorting this soon)

Have you thought about keeping your current exhaust and just adding an additional silencer?

As in replacing the centre resonator? I don't see where else I could fit another silencer. I suppose its an option but I think it's mainly the KTR backbox that creates this awful drone.

I have two 172’s, one stock and one with a ‘stealth’ which is no doubt even louder and more horrible as its decat and non res.

Do you have the back open? I noticed mine was headache inducing when I had the seats down and parcel shelf removed. The resonance literally cooks my head at that frequency and makes me feel sick.

They still sound good stock, in fact I’d say they sound at their best. When I’ve heard my stock car being driven it sounds good and you can still tell it’s something sporty. The one with the exhaust just sounds embarrassingly loud (I’ll be sorting this soon)

It's full interior with rear seats and the parcel shelf installed. I have been toying with the idea of going back to stock but I can't find an original phase 1 catback system at all. Not sure if the ph2 one fits? They should be a little easier to get my hands on over here in the Netherlands.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Another vote for pure motorsport exhaust, really can’t understand how it is so quiet with a decat and no centre silencer. Add either of the other 2 in and I’m sure it would be fairly quiet.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several

I did this with my 172. When I bought it, it had a ktec stealth on it, the one without a centre silencer, and it was bloody awful. I sold it and just fitted a standard system (I think it was a Klarius one) and it was so much better. I had a fatty induction kit, which gave it plenty of aggression when you wanted it, but it was nice and quiet otherwise.

My 197 has a stainless exhaust that was on it when I bought it and I'm not a fan of that either. I've contemplated going back to standard.

monaco 172
Lol I had a ktec stealth, horrific sounding things.

I had toyed with the idea of chopping the stealth pipe off, and aiming it out of the rear bumper in a cutout, as apparently that reduces the drone, but in the end I just sold the car

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
Hated the ktec one also so switched to a cheap sportex system myself, sounds better in my opinion. Still a little loud tho

I did this with my 172. When I bought it, it had a ktec stealth on it, the one without a centre silencer, and it was bloody awful. I sold it and just fitted a standard system (I think it was a Klarius one) and it was so much better. I had a fatty induction kit, which gave it plenty of aggression when you wanted it, but it was nice and quiet otherwise.

My 197 has a stainless exhaust that was on it when I bought it and I'm not a fan of that either. I've contemplated going back to standard.

Fair enough. I also have the fatty induction kit (but it's really just an eBay special) so I'd be fine if most of the sound came from the intake.

I'm looking at these Klarius parts on eBay, I think these might work.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the ktec stealth is horrible. Now I'll just have to decide if the PMS system is worth the money for me (I came to a total of 750 pounds for centre section and their 200 cell cat) or if I should just go "oem". Really tempted on the latter.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Fair enough. I also have the fatty induction kit (but it's really just an eBay special) so I'd be fine if most of the sound came from the intake.

I'm looking at these Klarius parts on eBay, I think these might work.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the ktec stealth is horrible. Now I'll just have to decide if the PMS system is worth the money for me (I came to a total of 750 pounds for centre section and their 200 cell cat) or if I should just go "oem". Really tempted on the latter.

Mine came from Euro Car Parts. Obviously not much help with you not being in the UK, but I guess you can at least check the part numbers.

It seems a lot more expensive than when I bought it. I think I only paid about £100 for both pieces.

I thought it was a reasonable balance of sound really. Like you say, intake noise is enough really, especially in a road car.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Maybe it's just me but I've found the more the exit points at the floor the worse it is.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I have a Ktec/Janspeed recessed, unresonated with original cat, its horrendously droney if you dont keep the revs up.

I wonder if it's more to do with the silencers needing repacking in older systems?🤔

Clio 182
Does anyone have experience of the Ktek systems for 182? I'm attempting to decide between the sport and supersport versions. Will be keeping the cat and not looking for it to be very noisy - I like to keep it similar to the oem system.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Does anyone have experience of the Ktek systems for 182? I'm attempting to decide between the sport and supersport versions. Will be keeping the cat and not looking for it to be very noisy - I like to keep it similar to the oem system.
172 here but definitely dont go supersports

monaco 172
I had a ktec/janspeed 2.25" on my 182, really nice sounding system, not too loud

Clio 172 2001
Hi guys,

I am in the market for a new exhaust, I want stainless for the longevity but the stock sound. I was looking at the k-tec stealth sports ie with the silencer but this thread worries me, how much louder than the OEM are they please? £400 seems decent for stainless but worried about noise.

Like my car has never been quiet and because Renault forgot to put the 6th gear in it drones already at 70-80 on motorways etc.

BTW on the maiden voyage after I finally fixed the engine issues this happened....

My wife was in the car, she bricked it when that dropped on the NDR when i was giving it some beans haha

Attachments

• 20210110_151006.jpg
    20210110_151006.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 66