ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what fuel?

Renaultsport 172 Cup
I've started putting the more expensive petrol in as I believe it should have it in my 172 cup.

What petrol does everyone use and why?

I use Optimax in my 172 because it's supposed to be 98ron and it says "98 ron recommended" on the car. Plus it seems to tickover more smoothly and it seems easier to creep along in traffic without having to rev the crap out of the engine and slip the clutch.

MINI JCW
I have only ever put optimax in my 182, Renault say put 98 Ron in and that what it gets! I’m not sure whether it improves MPG or performance but I put what is recommended in and the same applies to oil, servicing etc

RenaultSport clio 172 mk1
i have a mk1 172 w reg.

bought it a month agop and have tried using both.......driving normally on regular glug the mpg read out says 32-33, then tried 98 and after a couple of tanks it now hovers between 35-37 mpg. will def be sticking to 98.

There is an article in this month's evo, does lots of testing seems Tesco 99! comes out well. Omtimax does not shine as much as you would have thought.

The best peice of advice was to use a busy filling station, fresh fuel performs better than old.

Lotus Elise 111R
I can vouch for tesco 99, used it after that evo article and the mid range torque is fantastic!!! At 90.9p on my journey to work, seems silly not to really.

Not sure about mpg yet, seems to hover around 35 whether pressing on or regular A road traffic. Need a few more tanks to make sure, but I say defo give it a try.

You really need to do a few tanks to be sure of results, but it certainly seems more fun to drive. I felt a bit let down by expensive BP ultimate when I tried it.... what do other people think?

Evo seemed to expel the myth of poor petrol at supermarkets, as previously mentioned, fresh petrol is the key, and supermarkets are always busy ( although not sure how popular 99 will be yet....

Anyone else got any thoughts on Tesco 99?

i always used optimax.. but now ive started using sainsburys super unleaded.
least they have BS numbers on their pumps clearly stating the british standard for their 97 ron fuel.

when i go to shell garages, i dont see any ''98 ron'' signs anywhere..

clio 182 black /gold
Tescos normal unleaded. I know im gonna get in bother but on some occastions i put in optimax :)

M2 Competition
can-o-worms.jpg