ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what gets replaced...

2001 172,VW Touran
during a 36,000 mile service?The reason i'm asking is i want to keep the cost down and i dont want them to replace parts that don't need doing.i:e plugs, air filter as the plugs were replaced recently and i have had an induction kit fitted.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
SO you need both A and B>>

An “A” service consists of

Change oil (for a 5/40 oil this is important to check some dealers use 10/40 as per normal Clio’s)
Change oil filter
Change air filter
Change passenger compartment filter (if appropriate)
Check bodywork for rust etc (this is part of the Renault anticorrosion check)
Check brakes for wear, failing seals, fluid level (the reservoir on the 172/182 is at the back of the engine on the driver’s side on the bulkhead. You need to remove the engine cover if fitted to see if often as it is in an annoying place)
Check power steering fluid level/pipes
Check exhaust
Check condition of the rubber gaiters on the steering rack
Check the coolant level (big tank attached to the back of the engine bay on the passenger’s side of the car. Top up etc as appropriate so the level is between the minimum and maximum. Make sure you do this when the engines coolant is cold as the system is highly pressurised (1.2 bar and hot) so it can hurt you if you try removing the cap when it’s hot. Also fluid level changed when it’s hot.
Front and rear windscreen wiper check. Condition etc.
Tyres check for uneven wear and pressures (spare should be also check).
Check front and rear shock absorbers are correctly fixed no leaks etc.
Check bulbs work (brakes/indicators etc)
Check battery charge state.
Check all windows/mirrors for cracks etc.
Computer check of any errors logged in the ECU etc.

Some dealers will check other things i.e. tyre wear depth and top up washer fluid these should be a normal check anyway though as an owner.

Expect to pay between £120 and £150 depends where you are in the country. Shouldn’t take more than half a day but dealers ask for it all day so they can have work all day for the mechanics.

A “B” service consists of

The auxiliary belt (known as the AUX belt) being changed this is about £100 extra on top of the normal A service.

TDI tyre shreader
ROO#1 said:
good idea. But i need the book stamped

Agreed I could a far better job than the stupid Renault monkeys or the majority of garages for that matter, but for future resale purposes I need the service history. I suppose you could keep the receipts as to prove it’s been done. I have done this in the past with older cars but I think that my 172 is abit too new but I might just do it anyway!!!

What are peoples opinions on this do you reckon that it will hurt the resale value?

Jones said:
Agreed I could a far better job than the stupid Renault monkeys or the majority of garages for that matter, but for future resale purposes I need the service history. I suppose you could keep the receipts as to prove it’s been done. I have done this in the past with older cars but I think that my 172 is abit too new but I might just do it anyway!!!

What are peoples opinions on this do you reckon that it will hurt the resale value?
Dpeends you might say £100 per service and lose say £300 or so on resale. so 3 services and you'll be equal but you've had to do the work.