ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What has happed to this Alloy Wheel?

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Hi, my nephew has got in touch and asked me what this is on the alloy wheel. It’s just on 1 of the rims. He also has the Alloy Gators on all 4 of the rims, he says he only noticed the issue past couple days and doesn’t think it was damaged when the gators were put on.

here’s a couple of pictures he sent me.
EEBD4D53-0DB4-4B72-932C-234225DCD30C.jpeg
99050AA4-AD4B-4A4B-A416-37D54E96737E.jpeg

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Those wheels are finished with whats known as a "diamond cut face, where the finish is cut back on a lathe to bare aluminium that is then lacquered. Thus giving you the high lustre finish on the face.
The clear coat has been punctured and moisture has gotten in to the bare alloy causing it to go white and furry under the lacquer. This is very common if you get a stone chip on diamond cut alloys . Likely the rim "protection" has either broken the surface of the clearcoat or road salt/grit has gotten between the gaiter and rim and abraded the clearcoat through and allowed moisture in.

edit - No way would i ever fit those wheel gaiters and certainly not on a diamond cut rim. This was unfortunately a certainty and just a matter of time before the wheel corroded.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Thanks for response people, if it was me I would of never put them on. He got the gators from the person who did the professional detail on his car, is it worth perusing getting something done under warranty or putting a claim in for the gators for making damage to the rim? I have no idea about this

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
proving liability for that sort of damage would be a nightmare, tbh best to suck it up and just get the thing recut and lacquered at own cost really. for sake of 100 quid its not worth it, life's too short

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
proving liability for that sort of damage would be a nightmare, tbh best to suck it up and just get the thing recut and lacquered at own cost really. for sake of 100 quid its not worth it, life's too short

This.

Unfortunately you've next to no hope of proving whos at fault. I hate diamond cut wheels for this exact reason. Had my Mini GP wheels done and then put them in the garage till i sold it.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Diamond cut wheels always do this. Their doesn't even have to be damage to the clearcoat for corrosion to start. Have it refurbished but make sure it's a good place who have a lathe to skim the face properly.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Thanks for response people, if it was me I would of never put them on. He got the gators from the person who did the professional detail on his car, is it worth perusing getting something done under warranty or putting a claim in for the gators for making damage to the rim? I have no idea about this

Do you not think it was his own fault for not researching the damage the gators could cause in the first place. Every person wants something for nothing nowadays. He needs to just live with it or pay to get it fixed. No wonder this country has gone to pot with everybody wanting something for nothing

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Plus, the other chap might have fitted the protectors to cover up a few kerb marks - which is even worse for corrosion like this. Maybe alright if they were fitted from brand new.

Utterly zero chance you'll get any money from anyone for that. It was the previous owners decision to have them fitted and your decision to buy the car with them fitted... you could try to get some money out of your self by sending them to be refurbished I guess :)

If you do get them done don't let anyone talk you into having them re-cut, its expensive and not required if you catch it early like yours, could likely have them re clear coated...

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
The guy that detailed my mum's DS3 when new said the finish on the wheels would go, and it's best to just claim under warranty when it's about to run out.

No kerbing damage 3 years later (they were mainly going around the centre caps) and Citroen replaced all 4 no fuss.

Might be able to get away with it if there's still warranty on the car?

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Took the car to the local Ford dealer today and they looked at the alloy and there going to replace it under warranty. Really good outcome like.