ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What has happened???

BG 182
After returning from the MOT Station yesterday i noticed a strange burning smell. Had a look at the car this morning to find the rear wheel had burned through the arch liner. When the car was taken to the garage yesterday this problem was not there. I have just took the car back to ask them what has happened, and they dont know lol. So i have left it with them, they said it was fine yesterday and it has happened since i took the car back, i have only driven 8 miles since having it back. Any ideas what has caused this as the MOT Station dont know so im a little worried.

C63 AMG
Has the rear bumper dropped at all? Or the inner lining come loose? You might also what to check the geometry. Are the rear wheels in alignment?

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
looks like the rear arm has moved somehow......

but have you checked tyres etc. makes you wonder if they've dropped it off a jack or put it into a kerb or something

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Standard wheels?

My standard wheels on my 172 used to rub there, but not quite that bad.

BG 182
looks like the rear arm has moved somehow......

but have you checked tyres etc. makes you wonder if they've dropped it off a jack or put it into a kerb or something

It hasnt been kerbed the alloys are all immaculate with no kerbing marks what so ever. What ever has happened has happened while been in there care...

BG 182
I powerwash the liners every week and did so yesterday before it was taken for its MOT, they were like new 8 miles ago...

BG 182
So after them spending all day with the car trying to find the problem there answer is "they have no idea why this has happened and cannot identify the problem causing it, so put some wheel spacers on it will pass MOT and be fine".......:S

C63 AMG
So after them spending all day with the car trying to find the problem there answer is "they have no idea why this has happened and cannot identify the problem causing it, so put some wheel spacers on it will pass MOT and be fine".......:S

That is a bulls**t answer in my opinion. But you know that.

ph2 172
my 172 rubbed in exactly the same spot after fitting 205 tyres you not had tyres changed to these for the mot have you? also you wouldnt be able to see that before unless you removed the wheel.

BG 182
my 172 rubbed in exactly the same spot after fitting 205 tyres you not had tyres changed to these for the mot have you? also you wouldnt be able to see that before unless you removed the wheel.

No mate original 195/45/16, and you can clearly see the damage with the wheel still on also. I have a big issue also i didnt collect my MOT fail sheet yeterday as he said he could not find it. Now this afternoon he has given the MOT fail sheet but im 100% sure he has reprinted it today with this damge on the bottom. Now the MOT tester wasnt working today and would you believe it the fail sheet isnt signed!!!! probably because the tester wasnt there to sign it as its his day off...

I note it has yesterdays date on also....

ph1-172
i noticed mine has burn thro the inner arch aswel. think the bearing slightly collapsed/ got crushed when at a trackday. check the gap between disk and caliper carrier.

ph2 172
has anyone else experienced rubbing like this with 205 width tyres? bit worried now i only noticed it after a had returned from nurburgring

SQ5
I have 195/50/15's on the standard OZ wheels. I have worse ones than this, I've put it down to trackdays with heavy right handers though (same side as yours)

Is there a big roundabout close by? Maybe trying to try some liftoff oversteer, for an MOT they shouldn't of needed to do a mile at all!

BG 182
I have 195/50/15's on the standard OZ wheels. I have worse ones than this, I've put it down to trackdays with heavy right handers though (same side as yours)

Is there a big roundabout close by? Maybe trying to try some liftoff oversteer, for an MOT they shouldn't of needed to do a mile at all!

They may have only taken it 100 metres which was enough to click it to 1 mile. Never ever tried lift off oversteer but yes theres some big right hand roundabouts round here where i do push on a little, but this wasnt there the morning of the MOT.

RS 172+
+1

I am planning to fit 205's on my 172 soon and would be interested to hear of any problems. Haven't spotted any on here yet though, and by all accounts it appears to be a safe thing to do?