ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What ICE to get for my first car...

12 Months and counting...
I'm only 15 at the moment, but I'm really into modding cars and ICE, and have my heart set on a clio for my first car.

I was just wondering if any of you have any idea's for like a basic set-up that I could invest in, for when the magic times comes :) ....

I was thinking, replace the HU, replace the door speakers, and add an amp + sub/enclosure in the boot? Any (cheapish) idea's, considering I'll still be in education, and wont have a full time job.

I'm gonna' stay away from 6x9's, as a few mates have them in their's and they sound s***.

Any ideas let me know :)

Crash

SchwepTek™
Sounds like a plan already mate! ;)

Get some decent component speakers in the front and some coaxials in the back. Sub, amp, HU, sorted!

A 1.4 at 17??? in full time education?? I hope your parents are loaded!!! a 1.2 dynamique is bad enough!! I pay £1200 a year insurance!

You sound like me when i was sixteen lol, brought my head unit six weeks before i was 17. Have had my licence for a few months now and its great!

Personally i like 6x9s but each to there own, Any good component speakers are a step up, amping them will give it better quality etc.

Hey guys, advice is great so far =]

keep it coming though...and if anyone's selling any HU's *like i said for cheap(ish)*, let me know, as it can go in the fathers clio 1.4 for now =]

Crash

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
How much you want to spend.

Got my Clio when I was 16, Was a T reg in 2003, But had a job on £200 a week with no out goings, Had it slammed on 17s, Induction kit and powerflow exhaust and tinted. Looked the b****cks for a first car, But it never moved for 2 years lol! Only went to and from car places getting stuff fitted.

This is when the audio bug bit me as I could do this myself.

I first of all fully sound deadened the car with Dynamat, Then bought a Head unit, MRD M1000 and MRD F450 Amplifiers, 2 Black Air 12" subs and some pioneer componants lol! Had everything but a license!

People say it isntworth doing at a young age, But IF you are intending modifying cars ( I hevily suggest you dont bother even changing the head unit, SAve your money and buy a cool car later on, My said first clio went on to have 5 figures spend on it (see avatar) And sold for a 3 figure sum! Modified cars are awaste of time and more importantly money, Id i didnt do it, I'd have more money than I do now AND A BMW M3 instead of an 04 Dynamique.

But if you are going to modify, Do it whilst your not driving, AS you sure as hell wont have the money to do it when you are driving, with insurance/petrol etc.

Give me a budget and I'll work out some suggestions for your ICE.

wait and see ;)
god they start young these days modifying ther cars dnt they
anyway if u want a bit ov power go 4 the planet audio big bang sub and amp and door components... they just recently blew my mates rear window owt on his corsa b so a think ther loud pmsl

Last edited:
  Clio Billabong 1.2
Hi mate, you sound very similar to me when I was your age, I'm 17 now and love driving.
I used to love getting home from school/college and playing around with my car.. the hobbie gets expensive though!
A lot of good advice already in this thread, basically everything has been said.

Decent head unit - I'd say Alpine.

Front components - I have Alpine Type R's and I can recommend them (they're the only comps I've owned though so I'm sure other people can recommend better)

Back coaxials, don't have to be good (if you're planning on road tripping with a few mates - like I do)

Sub - quite a few threads on the best reasonably priced subs out

Amp - I have a JBL 4 channel amp and it does the job well.

Good luck with the project!

Mk1 Maxim Sport
Good luck with the project pal, id stear clear of Fli, Fusion and Ripspeed hu's! For cheap quality subs id go for In-Phase, or on a higher budget the Vibe stuff is quality. The components im not too sure of but iv heard vibes aint bad and as for 6x9's i think their alrite but me mates got some vibe rectangle ones which are mint.

The pic is of me mates build, gives a quality sound an its just two vibe 12"s that come with the amp bulit on, he took them both apart and built custom boxes to fit the amp, subs and air holes.

Attachments

• P2121147.JPG
    P2121147.JPG
    329.1 KB · Views: 73
Good luck with the project pal, id stear clear of Fli, Fusion and Ripspeed hu's! For cheap quality subs id go for In-Phase, or on a higher budget the Vibe stuff is quality. The components im not too sure of but iv heard vibes aint bad and as for 6x9's i think their alrite but me mates got some vibe rectangle ones which are mint.

The pic is of me mates build, gives a quality sound an its just two vibe 12"s that come with the amp bulit on, he took them both apart and built custom boxes to fit the amp, subs and air holes.

That's a smart looking set-up, not sure on the yellow though, but each to their own....

and cheers bud.

Clio 1.2 billabong
some people dont like 6x9s. however i found a good set i put in my clio sound amazing !! loads of bass for6x9s. look up vibe qb69.

Clio 200 FF
I have an Alpine CDA 9853R head unit for sale - removed from my car this afternoon.
I deliver to Henshaw lane with work so could even drop it off for you (i'm on holiday this week but could meet 1/2 way)

£100 - box, manuals, cage, case included

robby@ntlworld.com
alpine.gif

PH2 172
I have an Alpine CDA 9853R head unit for sale - removed from my car this afternoon.
I deliver to Henshaw lane with work so could even drop it off for you (i'm on holiday this week but could meet 1/2 way)

£100 - box, manuals, cage, case included

robby@ntlworld.com
alpine.gif

Iv got te newer version of this headunit in the silver they are good i like mine good piece of kit

"Navy" N17 TWO
Too many discussions on here re: 6x9s and vibe etc

All-round favoured advice;
Front components, amp & sub! :)