ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What is a proper driving position?

I've just watched the Clio Trophy promotional video again and noticed the comments made about the driving position in the Trophy. The guy from Renault claims the Trophy gives a race car feel but I'm interested to find out if this is really true with a lot of people unhappy at the position in the Clio.

Most people want to be positioned low in the seat and underneath the steering wheel and ofcourse with Clios' the position is high above the wheel.

I wonder how this compares with rally cars or track racing cars such as the Clio Cup race cars.

We hear lots of cars that have great driving positions but what exactly does that cover!?

Does it depend on the car?

I'm confused!

:)

Lionel Richie
race car feel!!!!!!!!!!! what!!! with a steering wheel out of a london red and a seat out of a school boy church, how he can calim "a race car feel" i'll never know!

a great driving positon IMO is a nice low seat, a steering wheel where the centre is just above the height of you nipples, a gearstick that is about 1/3 distance from you knee to your hip, and pedal that are completley unlike a bloody mk2 clio!

Depends on the height of the drive I'd imgaine as well the Clios definatly not suited to taller people.

Renaultsport 220T
Like the nipple comment Fred! Does this apply for females too?

;)

I'd say the perfect driving position is found inside something like an DB9, or a Exige.
With the clio is's always going to be a compromise. Getting the seating position lower is the key to it. The standard seats and Recaros are too high.

The lower you can go the flatter the angle of Steering wheel I guess too. Everyone is different, so you just need to find what works for you.

Last edited:
It's pretty well known that the Clio's driving position is.....:nono:

Trophy is mildly improved.

But still..:dapprove:

BMW Z4 3.0i
I don't particularly like it. I just accept it as one of the comprimises I make in owning the car. I have the steering wheel angled fully upwards so I can fit my legs under. But then I have to have my seat back fairly straight up in order to reach the top of the steering wheel properly, and that's not comfy on my back for any length of time. I lower the seat back a bit for motorway driving as I can get away with not reaching the top of the wheel!

Raising the height of the steering wheel would be nice and then also fitting a reach adjustment. Reach adjustment would have been the easiest quick fix imo. Could decrease the angle then too as it wouldn't be over my knees.

I'm 6'3" and my body is well proportioned thanks so no midget arm remarks required! My next car is definitely going to be bigger. My megane was so comfy.

Oh yeah Ideal position would be low with the steering wheel chest height and not too far away from my chest.

Clio 172 mk2
The driving position is one of the first things that pi**ed me off when I brought my 172...I kept trying to adjust the seat as low as it would go then I realised that was it:(

Got used to it now so not so bothered but compared to an Elise it's like sitting on the roof!

E90
That depends, alot of race drivers, specially touring car drivers, tend to have it fairly close in to the chest.

Im forever adjusting the seat positon in my cup to be comfortable, what works one day doesnt the next!! Im seriously tempted to buy some bucket seats just to improve the position. Does anyone else have the problem that when crossing your arms during a left hand corner your left arm comes real close to the belt and your body?! Keep getting worried that im gonna get my elbow stuck in the seatbelt!!!

LY V6 with Recaros
The good thing about being a short arse, the driving position is perfect for me! :) I even have the seat on the highest setting :eek:

BMW 328 Ci
Im 6"4 and while looking for a new car the Clio Sport 182 was easily one of the worst driving positions I sat in. Only the Celica had a worse one from memory.

E90
Agreed, Clio driving position is absolutely poop, The day i picked the golf up, was lovely, could actually adjust everything so i was comfy.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I'm 5 10 and I think my seating position is half way between top n bottom, with the seat pushed all the way back.

No problems with aching even if I'm in the car for 4+ hours :)

cock mobile.
Driving position in the Clio is shocking, truely truely shocking, I can't believe it's sooo bad.

If anyone disagrees with me, you're wrong :p

Clio 172 mk2
It's a comfortable car as I have driven long distances without any problems but the seats should be lower

Tangoed Works
I am 5'9" and the standard position was s**t to be blunt. When I had my misanos installed, it was like sitting on the floor compared to the old seats. Put a big smile on my face.

Since having them installed, the steering wheel can be set to its lowest setting and there is still loads of room between legs and wheel. Also, arms and lower back feel less fatigue now as the lumbar support is excellent and there the side bolsters also keep your thighs supported.

No more leaning over to the passenger seat to hold on for sharp right turns!

Tangoed Works
I am 5'9" and the standard position was s**t to be blunt. When I had my misanos installed, it was like sitting on the floor compared to the old seats. Put a big smile on my face.

Since having them installed, the steering wheel can be set to its lowest setting and there is still loads of room between legs and wheel. Also, arms and lower back feel less fatigue now as the lumbar support is excellent and there the side bolsters also keep your thighs supported.

Personally I don't mind the position in the Trophy. For me what's more important is being safe and supported.

So many people have their seat backs reclined so that to safely drive the car they have move their shoulders/neck/head away from the seat and there's a reason why it's called a head rest....

When I cart wheeled an LCR I had a nice upright driving position with my back, shoulders and head supported by the seat. I walked away from the car and when I looked back in the driver's seat was bent to one side where I'd been pinned to the seat and the car had been thrown about. If I'd had 12 inches of air between my shoulders and the seat back there's a good chance I would have needed to be cut and put on a backboard!!!!!

Whenever I get in a car with someone whose seat is too far back to offer any support I mention my experience in an effort to get them to change but most don't citing the fact that "It's comfortable!", I wonder how comfortable they'll find a wheel chair?

Nissan 350Z
Personally i dont mind the driving position. Could be better yes, but i dont find it too bad. I have my seat on the lowest position and adopt a fairly "laid back" angle, i.e. not upright, but reclined back a bit. I find that gives the perception of sitting lower, and for me at least, feels more comfortable too.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
too high, my old punto gt was mint, you could slam the seat to the floor, truly awsomme, although seats lacked suppport. I had some cobra dayonas with low subframes and they were superb imo, now gone though

106 GTi
The only thing I realy dislike about the car, always feel like I am sat on reather than in the seat.

I am about 6' 4" and can never get comfy.

M

M7CUO_V6

Sh33n is right, sit yourself in a dc5 and its like being in a race car compared to the clio!

Takes a while to get used to it after only owning clios. But im getting used to it now.:cool:

cock mobile.
Sh33n is right, sit yourself in a dc5 and its like being in a race car compared to the clio!

Takes a while to get used to it after only owning clios. But im getting used to it now.:cool:

Ohh ffs, can you just stop rubbing it in, lol :clown: :clown:

Good stuff that you are getting use to it though mate!

E92 M3 Monte Carlo

i've got misanos and i couldnt believe how much the seating postition was lowered by

M

M7CUO_V6

Ohh ffs, can you just stop rubbing it in, lol :clown: :clown:

Good stuff that you are getting use to it though mate!

lol, sorry matey:D

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Seat right back, belt stowed safely on the B post, right hand cradled round the wheel with thumb loosely holding on the left side at 10 o'clock position, body twisted so it looks like you are permanently searching in the glove box for a spliff, left hand holding the gear lever to ensure the synchro cones wear out, and dont forget to nod your head and upper body in time to the hip hop beat.
Oh and dont forget, front fogs on and drive up everybodys a---e.
Thats how they do it round here.:race:

When you get older you can drive with your right arm permanently wedged on the drivers window sill, it gives you a great excuse for pulling out and being able to truly say you didnt see the car coming up behind you. (not that you signalled the move anyway):nono:

there's a reason why it's called a head rest....

*cough*head restraint*cough*

Either way, unless your head is firmly against it when you get a shunt you're going to need neck muscles like an F1 driver to prevent yourself getting whiplash!

I just saw some pictures of a 182 and the driver's seat was cranked back so far that there's no way the driver could sit with their back/neck/head supported and safely control the car?