ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What is it with 172 cup prices?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Pmsl, no they don't exist! The fact "FF" is just made up forum talk anyway thanks to Revels iirc.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Limited Edition and 172 Cup should not be in the same sentence.
Why not? Just because it wasn't in officially limited numbers?

It had a long list of different parts making it different from the standard model, so it was defiantly a 'special' production vehicle.

It had a long list of different parts making it different from the standard model, so it was defiantly a 'special' production vehicle.

You mean the parts they removed? :wink:

It wasn't a special edition, the same way slapping a black wrap on a Corsa roof and calling it a Limited Edition is not a limited edition. It wasn't limited, those were just the numbers that sold...

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD

On that basis so is a zetec focus, they have lowered stiffened suspension, different seats etc etc.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
You mean the parts they removed? :wink:

It wasn't a special edition, the same way slapping a black wrap on a Corsa roof and calling it a Limited Edition is not a limited edition. It wasn't limited, those were just the numbers that sold...

Thinner Glass
Weight Reduction though less sound deadedning, options removal and custom interior
Custom Colour
Custom Wheels
Custom Suspension Setup
Hand picked Inlets (Debated)

Granted it wasn't limited, it also wasn't just a sticker and wheels. How would you classify it then if not a special version?

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
On that basis so is a zetec focus, they have lowered stiffened suspension, different seats etc etc.

Also lightened by 90Kg with different windscreen and sound deadening removed?

I'm not saying it was a super fantastic ultra edition, but it was far from the badging jobs you see nowadays.

Thinner Glass
Weight Reduction though less sound deadedning, options removal and custom interior
Custom Colour
Custom Wheels
Custom Suspension Setup
Hand picked Inlets (Debated)

Granted it wasn't limited, it also wasn't just a sticker and wheels. How would you classify it then if not a special version?

The same way you class any other model that has upgrades - whether it be a RenaultSport, M3, Cupra R etc - extra stuff but not limied - special edition sure, but not limited edition because not limited :p

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
The same way you class any other model that has upgrades - whether it be a RenaultSport, M3, Cupra R etc - extra stuff but not limied - special edition sure, but not limited edition because not limited :tongueout:

lol, So i corrected myself to special, you said not special, now say sure, its special. Make your mind up. :tongueout:

Ph1
Cup is the best - fact.

Should have sold mine for more, hadn't realised how collectible they are 😂. Getting rarer every-time it rains too.

Their not "rare". If you decided tomorrow you wanted to buy a standard Cup you could find one no problems on the usual classifieds.

Now try finding a complete unchaved ph1 with original oz's by comparison and you'd be struggling.

Was only last year Cups were priced around 1 - 1.5k.

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Guess it didnt get any intrest

29545016beaaa43af4dab145f3a0505f.jpg

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I like Dawn, never met her but she seems nice. So i will be nice.

looks a nice car, and glad shes decided to keep it.

f**king how much pmsl. Low mileage "standard" and mint maybe but not with those kev trendy wipers and modifications.

Shiny cars dont mean they sell for more, maybe it does have paperwork but still does not command a premium like that.

I see it as a form of attention seeking lmao :wink:

A4 Avant & A3
The 172 FF Cup is the one to have.

I guess I had the closest, mine was a 53 plate 172 cup with Climate control, heard there were a few 53 platers that had climate.
Guess it defeats part of the appeal of the 'cup' but I liked the colour :blush:
I do miss that car... WR53 UAM... wonder where it is now :cry:

Clio Sport 182
Ok. Is the debate what word are we gonna use?
OK is not a limited edition but it is a special edition car.
Especially now that most off them or are been written off or are been made as track cars. Soooo as the numbers going down any car that remains as came out of the factory will worth more.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I guess I had the closest, mine was a 53 plate 172 cup with Climate control, heard there were a few 53 platers that had climate.
Guess it defeats part of the appeal of the 'cup' but I liked the colour :blush:
I do miss that car... WR53 UAM... wonder where it is now :cry:

Sorn and the MOT ran out December 2015.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Their not "rare". If you decided tomorrow you wanted to buy a standard Cup you could find one no problems on the usual classifieds.

Now try finding a complete unchaved ph1 with original oz's by comparison and you'd be struggling.

Was only last year Cups were priced around 1 - 1.5k.
Try finding a Cup that is low mileage, does have good service history, has original turinis and doesn't look rougher than a badgers arse. People's standard of 'mint' varies so much but for the most part even low mileage cars look terrible compared to the ones that have been shown some love. Agreed on the Ph1's though, they are a lot harder to find.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Try finding a Cup that is low mileage, does have good service history, has original turinis and doesn't look rougher than a badgers arse. People's standard of 'mint' varies so much but for the most part even low mileage cars look terrible compared to the ones that have been shown some love. Agreed on the Ph1's though, they are a lot harder to find.
I sold my mint one which just had the turinis all refurbed and belts done for £2500 and I thought I was doing well at that.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
I sold my mint one which just had the turinis all refurbed and belts done for £2500 and I thought I was doing well at that.
Yours sold almost instantly though didn't it? because it was worth every penny and probably more IMO. Was a very nice car. There's a guy selling my old Cup atm on here, "J17 CUP" and he wants £2500 for it. I sold it two years ago for £2750 when it was mint. It looks pretty unloved now tbh. Don't think it's sold yet... good condition commands a higher price on Cups and all 1*2's

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I have to ask, why do people get so bent out of shape about what folk advertise their cars for? If you're not interested, move on.

I can't say i actually ever get a belting erection over someone selling their own car that they own at a price they see fit.

Some of you c***s need tasered at times.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Tazered for having an opinion about the price of a car, come on mate!

Dread to think what you'd do to someone that actually did something wrong:)

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
Actually the 172 Cup is strictly a Homologation Special, far more desirable than a cosmetic Limited Edition, and of course by definition the quantity was limit to that which satisfied the production requirement for the Group N homologation standard..

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Cups will Allways command a premium partly due to the fact normal 172's are ten a penny. Dropped the ball with the 182 cup but that's another thread.

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
English comprehension lessons are probably available on the Internet at a reasonable price for those that failed to take advantage of their free schooling

Actually the 172 Cup is strictly a Homologation Special, far more desirable than a cosmetic Limited Edition, and of course by definition the quantity was limit to that which satisfied the production requirement for the Group N homologation standard..

That's not strictly true. They didn't set out to make say 500 vehicles and close the books when the 500th order came in.

172 Cup
Values will always be subjective to a point. I sold a nice P1 three years ago for around £8k. It was maybe a little low, I didn't advertise but it was an easy sale at a fair price. There's now examples up on Pistonheads with double the miles for £15k. I don't think they will sell for that but there's always a car or two that try to push the upper limit of the normal price bracket.

Admittedly, I'm biased. However for me the 172 Cup is the iconic mk2 Clio RS and is a car that is appreciated beyond the Renault fan base. It's unique in its own right and has a true motorsport connection, it's also (arguably) the most focused and hardcore of them all. These factors tend to result in a premium for good examples.

I would swap mine in a second for a Trophy however and if I was spending more than £4k that's what I would be after.

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
I think that you will find that 3000 was the requirement.Most manufacturers actually struggle to sell all the homologation quantit
because the cars are too hard core for Mr Average.