ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What is it with insurance in the UK?

Clio & Mitsu ASX
Can anyone give a good explenation about it all, because I read all kinds of strange things in here about the crazy insurance company's over there...

For reference I'll give how it goes in Belgium, based on a 1.5 dci 82 and the fact that I'm 25 yo and have my license since 6 years.

We work with a bonus-malus system. You start at grade 11, meaning 85% of the insurance premium. Grade 14 is 100%, grade 20 is 146%, 22 is 209%. 5 is 63% and 0 is 45%.
Every year you drop 1 point, if you have an accident you go up 5 points. If you drive a lot of years without accidents and are on 0, some company's give you a joker or crash for free card ;)

These premiums only count for the obliged car insurance, so only damage to others and your passengers is covered.

Brings us to the types of insurance.
So the one you need to have by law, with the bonus malus system. For me that is something about €350 a year.
Legal coverage, about €35. Extended legal coverage about €60 (if you have this they even pay your lawyer when you have a speeding ticket, but not many people know this).
Personal injury, about €60.
Mini-omnium: glass, theft, naturedamage, animaldamage and fire. About €125 for the clio.
Full omnium: they also cover the damage if you have an accident in fault. Premium depends on your car and on the no-claim limit you ask.

You can do any mod you like on your car, as long as everything is E-rated and passes MOT. You can also do engine upgrades, you just mention it and they calculated the premium on the modded BHP. But by law you can't upgrade the engine, Belgium don't ask ;)

Driving with other cars.
An insurance is for a car, not a person. I can drive my neighbours car without a problem, even if it is a porsche. If I would have an accident, his premium goes up. If you're under 24 some company's charge you an extra fee of €125 if you have an accident driving a car insured on someone else his name.
If you have an accident because if irresponsible speeding, heavy drinking, ... they can force you to pay a part or the total damage you caused.

Everything also depends on the kind of car you drive. For example, the theft insurance on a golf is a lot higher then for example a megane of the same pricerange.
Untill about 5 years ago they also looked at the color, a red one was more expensive to insure then a grey one. But that system has gone.
And everything depends on the insurance man. Normaly for your first insurance you start at grade 11, I got to start at grade 5 and got a 15% discount.

No wheels :(
Well How much was that??

How come you thought randomly, you would just **** off our country??

lol, Sam

Clio & Mitsu ASX
Well How much was that??

How come you thought randomly, you would just **** off our country??

lol, Sam
I'm not *'ing anything. Just asking a question about that insurancesystem over there...

If I would be *'ing on the UK you would read other things and probably go cry with your mommy...

www.renparts.co.uk
seems like a reasonable system in a way... but as said it has its pro's and cons... looks like its calculated more carefully.. unlike here where im sure they just guess a figure for under 21's....