ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What is my wall made of? (TV bracket install)

I'm trying to install a tv wall bracket on an exterior wall. I was planning to run the cables behind the wall. I thought it was plasterboard framed on a brick wall but it definitely isn't! It is soft like plasterboard but I can push my padsaw in 90mm. Is it breeze block? The house is about 1980's

Any help appreciated!

39352768701_ce84842b25_b.jpg

27576458269_ba38e409e1_b.jpg

39352768261_5662c0e10d_b.jpg

27576457759_f7c6ed79cb_b.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Na the wall is too soft for those to work I think. I can push my padsaw in it just leaning on it
What I use at work is a two part resin which I use for studs, it's hard as fook, I use it for 16mm studs when I fit crash barriers.

Toureg vW Transporte
Pop to you’re local builders merchants and get some resin fix. It’s in a single tube but 2 part.
Drill hole, clean out dust, cut some m12 bar. Pump in resin, push in bar, wait 30 mins and away you go.

It’ll be fine. Just make sure you get rid of the dust from drilling

172 cup
Are they not thermalite blocks ? If so you’ll be able to fix to that easy enuff with the correct fixing I’d be more worried that it looks like they’ve just papered over a block wall lol is there any plasterboard then plaster in front of the block ?

Alfa 159 TI, 172 Cup
My TV is 50kg and fitted to an exterior wall via 4x M10 studs set in chemical resin. The wall is dot n dab onto breeze block.

Hilti do some good fixings,where you just drill a hole and screw directly into the brick work.

You can also buy the polyester resin in the smaller tubes now so it’ll fit a standard silicone gun. The studs aren’t cheap and it might be overkill for a light modern tv, but it’s definetly not coming off the wall lol

http://www.diy.com/departments/nails-screws-hardware/fixings-plugs/resins-studs/DIY1492936.cat

Thanks for all the suggestions. I like the resin idea. I've got some 8mm stud and nuts here. I'm still considering toggles though because if I get it in the cavity between the breeze block and brickwork there is no chance it will pull out.

@AlfaDan it is a 42inch plasma and I've got a bracket that pulls out from the wall so that it can sit at an angle, so the stronger the better!

Alfa 159 TI, 172 Cup
Thanks for all the suggestions. I like the resin idea. I've got some 8mm stud and nuts here. I'm still considering toggles though because if I get it in the cavity between the breeze block and brickwork there is no chance it will pull out.

@AlfaDan it is a 42inch plasma and I've got a bracket that pulls out from the wall so that it can sit at an angle, so the stronger the better!

Definetly Resin anchor if it comes off the wall, toggles would be useless

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
My TV is 50kg and fitted to an exterior wall via 4x M10 studs set in chemical resin. The wall is dot n dab onto breeze block.

Hilti do some good fixings,where you just drill a hole and screw directly into the brick work.

You can also buy the polyester resin in the smaller tubes now so it’ll fit a standard silicone gun. The studs aren’t cheap and it might be overkill for a light modern tv, but it’s definetly not coming off the wall lol

http://www.diy.com/departments/nails-screws-hardware/fixings-plugs/resins-studs/DIY1492936.cat

50kg? Christ that must be huge!

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
I would fix a piece of ply to the wall with plenty of fixings then mount the telly bracket to that. I've not dealt with thermalite a lot, but know you can get special fixings for it. I've used resin a lot and it's good stuff. Just make sure you're prepared and have the holes drilled and cleaned out before you start using it. It sets hard in the nozzle after a few minutes of not using it.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
I would fix a piece of ply to the wall with plenty of fixings then mount the telly bracket to that. I've not dealt with thermalite a lot, but know you can get special fixings for it. I've used resin a lot and it's good stuff. Just make sure you're prepared and have the holes drilled and cleaned out before you start using it. It sets hard in the nozzle after a few minutes of not using it.
This was my thoughts.

Rs200t lux
I Remember these breeze blocks from the 80s
When working on building sites
They were that soft you could virtually drill them with your finger
Made from compressed ash from the leftover s**t of a coal fired power station
They mixed the ash with water then compressed and dried them
f**king rubbish I’m still amazed a lot of these houses are standing