ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What is this adapter thing?

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Hello..

I've seen before people have a device plugged into the wall (ethernet port) to pick up wifi signal, which then distributes it again for you to pick it up again.

The reason I want this is my xbox and wifi printer won't pick up my Uni halls wifi because it isn't a simple password entry, you have to enter student ID, unique pw etc.

What do I search for to be able to find the above?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
There are things called powerline adapters.

They plug into the router via Ethernet, then into a standard wall socket. Then you have the same on the other end but into your device.

Nothing to do with WiFi but I think its what you actually mean.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Both of the things mentioned so far exist.

Not sure what the former is called, Wifi extender would be a good guess I'd have thought.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Nope, because I have no access to the router (it covers 300 rooms or so, and no idea where it is).

Hmm...

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
This is it!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1983566.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=cgid:12504951290%7Ctsid:59158%7Ccid:200290250%7Clid:94813109090%7Cnw:g%7Ccrid:42772543250%7Crnd:13186470794695780633%7Cdvc:c%7Cadp:1o2%7Cbku:1

DCi
This is it!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1983566.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=cgid:12504951290%7Ctsid:59158%7Ccid:200290250%7Clid:94813109090%7Cnw:g%7Ccrid:42772543250%7Crnd:13186470794695780633%7Cdvc:c%7Cadp:1o2%7Cbku:1

To make this work you would need to plug one of this in you pad then the other one near wherever the network is coming from

Then whoever is responsible for the network would have to let you patch it in

And you'd have to hope this is the same building or it won't work.

Not sure if you have a PS4 or Xbox but if your uni wifi needs some kind of authentication (ie your info) I know you can connect a PS4 to a BT hot spot, go to the browser and log in to get 'normal' internet... I assume you can do this on your uni wifi

But probably not ideal... Does your Uni room not come with a Ethernet port somewhere?

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
To make this work you would need to plug one of this in you pad then the other one near wherever the network is coming from

Then whoever is responsible for the network would have to let you patch it in

And you'd have to hope this is the same building or it won't work

Not sure if you have a PS4 or Xbox but if your uni wifi needs some kind of authentication (ie your info) I know you can connect a PS4 to a BT hot spot, go to the browser and log in to get 'normal' internet... I assume you can do this on your uni wifi

But probably not ideal... Does your Uni room not come with a Ethernet port somewhere?

Thanks for the help mate.. but that's not correct.

Ended up speaking to a room mate who has just given me the password who uses the exact one I posted above. He has just plugged it directly into the ethernet port, which then creates its own hotspot.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
From your OP it sounded like you wanted something that could login to a wifi network and then rebroadcast it.

What you've posted above is just a wireless access point.