ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What petrol do you use?

BG 182
I normally put Shell V-Power in mine, however recently they have been rebuilding the local Shell garage so i've been using BP Ultimate.....Couldn't really tell of any difference.

The other night i was running low of petrol and had to put some tesco's 'No frills' petrol in.....the car felt like it was spluttering and coughing everywhere!.

So i was wondering, What petrol do you use? & how do you rate it?

It's A Reno
I've always used Optimax / V-Power in mine.
As I've never used anything else it's hard to tell whether it is better or not.

Nimbus 197
V-Power all the time, car runs like crap on 95 octane (and is unbearable on a morning).

Also get better mpg with V power, averaging 28mpg with V Power and 24 when I used 95 octane.
Car runs superb on Tesco 99 but the nearest garage that stocks it is too far away to fill-up regularly.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I've always used Optimax / V-Power in mine.
As I've never used anything else it's hard to tell whether it is better or not.

I used to always run mine on v-power (super unleaded) i now use 95 ron and IMO it makes no difference. Since fitting my k-tec stealth it even idles fine on the cheap stuff.

BG 182
V-Power all the time, car runs like crap on 95 octane (and is unbearable on a morning).

Also get better mpg with V power, averaging 28mpg with V Power and 24 when I used 95 octane.
Car runs superb on Tesco 99 but the nearest garage that stocks it is too far away to fill-up regularly.

I never knew tesco's did a 99!!

I'll check my local next time i pass to see if they have any in & give it a go.

Mine's been running quite badly since I last filled it up with 95RON. (always running lumpy when cold, and not very responsive). I normally run it on V-power or BP Ultimate. It definitely makes a difference with my car and anyone who says it doesn't can bite me :)

In Germany a ran it on V-Power 100 for 18 months, and it was gruntier and seemed to have a better power delivery in-gear. Obviously not enough to actually make it faster though.

Hi, someone at work who has just been trying to sell his lupo GTI has had real problems with it as the engine needed loads of work. The pistons seized among other problems and welded parts of itself together. The garage which fixed it claimed that it was due to bad petrol and asked him where he filled up. Low and behold it was sainsburys.
He said
"theres a reason its cheap, only go to the BPs or the Shells"

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Hi, someone at work who has just been trying to sell his lupo GTI has had real problems with it as the engine needed loads of work. The pistons seized among other problems and welded parts of itself together. The garage which fixed it claimed that it was due to bad petrol and asked him where he filled up. Low and behold it was sainsburys.
He said

IIRC BP supply Sainsbury's ;)

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
as std petrol goes.... BP gets my vote i always seem to get higher mpg, even compared to shell. I do 25ka year and have done numerous tests and it always finishes best out of std petrol ranges. The only shame is that its always 1-2p more expensive!

Between ultimate and v power i havent noticed any difference. And i usually try stuff for a month or so.

LY 200
Mines been run on Optimax/V -Power from the day I got it.

Now im getting rid of it I just fill up with the normal stuff.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
The comments about bp supplying tesco are wrong I'm afraid, super markets have a number of suppliers and ya never know what your getting. Tesco 99 isn't bp ultimate either it's there own bio ethonol fuel.

The advantage of optimax is the cleaning solution in it which keeps your fueling system clean. I found optimax gives better top end in the rev range compared to ultimate feels abit strained.

Gaz85

ClioSport Club Member
  330e, golf r, EP3 s4
I have been using shell optimax in mine, but have tons of vouchers through work for sainsburys so using the 97ron atm. Last tank didnt last very long in comparision but could have just been a heavy right foot lol :)

Gaz85

ClioSport Club Member
  330e, golf r, EP3 s4
I found Tesco 99 didn't last me long.

going to try and drive normally on this tank and see what it gets. Doesnt help i do a lot of city miles.

Vouchers from work anyways so kinda free petrol anyways :cool:

Matt e

ClioSport Club Member
  A red missile
He said

TBH that sounds more like a distinct lack of oil to me, but Im no expert so who knows.

V power all the time for me, for a difference of about £4 a fill its worth it, that said with the low mileage I do I only fill up about every 3 weeks.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
For reference, if you using normal petrol and switching to v power/98 etc, the ECU will take a few tanks to recognise this, so noticing the difference straight away is utter pasch

Matt e

ClioSport Club Member
info on 'super fuels'

Super Fuels

Many of the large petrol companies have launched 'super fuels' - petrols and diesels that have a higher research octane level. These fuels are said to increase power in many vehicles, deliver less pollution than regular fuels and help to maintain a cleaner engine. Amongst these 'super fuels' are Tesco's Super Unleaded 99 Octane petrol, supplied by Greenergy, now sold at many stations across the UK and also BP's Ultimate 102 Unleaded which is currently the most advanced, high-performance petrol you can buy on UK forecourts.

Using Super Fuels

One of our users commented that using higher octane fuel than your engine requires actually gives no benefit and may be a waste of money. This is because virtually NO engines require 98 RON over 95, and the market for 'super' fuels seems to be based on people's misunderstanding of octane ratings and the placebo effect of filling up with 'more powerful' fuel - making motorists think their engine is running better in some way.
What do the fuel companies say then, to justify the "increased power" claims for the super grade fuels? Some companies say that while all fuels contain cleaning additives, 'super' fuels contain more or better detergents to keep the injectors cleaner than standard fuel. Others say the fuel is a few percent denser which gives slightly more power per litre. These benefits may be marginal though in comparison to the extra cost involved so it is worth ensuring that your engine will actually benefit before filling up.
Some engines actually do need higher octane fuel, such as race engines with very high compression and some turbocharged engines, such as the import version of the Nissan Skyline. Also, a few vehicles, such as the new BMW K1200R motorbike, can sense knock and adjust their engine tuning to take advantage of higher grade fuels. Another user commented that the 2004 BMW 330 also does this, according to the driver's handbook it makes 231 BHP on 98 octane and 221 BHP on 95. This ability is apparently widespread amongst German performance cars using Bosch / Siemens electronic engine controls.

LY V6 & Fiesta ST
Tesco 99, never tried anything else, now the cups on 14K getting around an indicated 3MPG more then i did when new, noticed the difference in price too, was 118.9 a litre when i first got the cup last year!

TBH that sounds more like a distinct lack of oil to me, but Im no expert so who knows.

V power all the time for me, for a difference of about £4 a fill its worth it, that said with the low mileage I do I only fill up about every 3 weeks.

Im just telling ya what i was told, i've done a little bit of browsing on the net and it seems to be a hot topic whether it is less refined fuel or whether there are additives in the bp and shell stuff over the supermarkets. Also didnt tescos muck up aload of cars with their fuel a couple of years ago? If it just happened to them then surely they are not recieving it from the main companies else we would have seen problems with their fuel.

Also if just oil the whole engine would have seized like on the 5th gear episode i think

if i filled my car with unleaded it wouldn't do my dci any good ;) i aways buy my diesel at sainsburys Ive tried one tank of bp ultimate but the cost was alarming an i don't think i noticed a difference

i spot bp tankers replenishing sainsburys pumps daily

Last edited: