ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What Phone....?

The Bus and MRT
I'm finally due an upgrade from my HTC Diammond and I'm not sure what to get. I've been looking at the following:

- Sony Satio (Like the look of it but have read a few posts on here completely slating it)
- Nokia n97 (Loved my n95 and really tempted by this one, copped a feel of one in store and it felt really well built)
- Samsung i8910 (Gets a decent score on Techradar but I've never had a Samsung before and after being stung with the HTC I'm not sure if I want to try an new manufacturer again)
- SE X10 (not out until next year and I'm itching for a new phone)
- iPhone (Don't know why but I just don't want one... I think it's too obvious and everyone has one)

Does anyone have any experience of the above phones or other suggestions?

Cheers,

Charlie

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I'm finally due an upgrade from my HTC Diammond and I'm not sure what to get. I've been looking at the following:

- Sony Satio (Like the look of it but have read a few posts on here completely slating it)

No its s**t
- Nokia n97 (Loved my n95 and really tempted by this one, copped a feel of one in store and it felt really well built)

No its s**t
- Samsung i8910 (Gets a decent score on Techradar but I've never had a Samsung before and after being stung with the HTC I'm not sure if I want to try an new manufacturer again)

No its s**t
- SE X10 (not out until next year and I'm itching for a new phone)

Looks promising but will probably be s**t.
- iPhone (Don't know why but I just don't want one... I think it's too obvious and everyone has one)

Best choice in that list.

Does anyone have any experience of the above phones or other suggestions?

Cheers,

Charlie

Thank me later

The Bus and MRT
I don't want the iPhone. Everyone has one and I don't really like the look of them...

Tom, have you actually used any of the above phones? The Samsung gets nigh on 5/5 in that review so can't see it being s**t...

E87 118d M Sport
everyone has one.....thats the reason why you dont want one.

wish i was rich.....oh wait "everyone" is rich these days, must be overrated, ill stay poor with my iphone.

none of those phones give the all round experience that the iphone does.

Everyone has an iphone for a reason.

Apart from the people that "must have" it because their mates do, it's probably the best phone to use out of your list.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I don't want the iPhone. Everyone has one and I don't really like the look of them...

Tom, have you actually used any of the above phones? The Samsung gets nigh on 5/5 in that review so can't see it being s**t...

Yup. I've used (them all with the exception of the x10) it. Its s**t.

Mk4 .:R32
from that list and from my experience of nokia, samsung and SE I'd go for the iphone based on my itouch. Nokia's are boring (had 3, including a 5800, and the touch screen was pretty poor and it's now broken for some reason), SE turn themselves off and freeze, and Samsungs are just generally sh*te.

imo obviously.

The Bus and MRT
I know but if everyone owned the same car would you not want something different, that was better at certain things, even if it was slightly worse overall?

I'm not overly impressed with the camera on my mates iPhone, not sure how much improved the 3Gs is... it's quite important to me as the one on my HTC is shocking and made me miss my old n95(that coupled with the fact the HTC is the worst phone I've ever owned).

Are there any Android 2.0 phones out yet, I fancy giving one a try.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Hero is 2.0 ready. You could wait for the Motorola milestone.

HTC phones are great its the OS that makes all the difference.

Mk4 .:R32
thought about a blackberry??

I've upgraded to a 9700 (should be here on monday)

meant to be pretty decent for emails and the net if that's what you want.

And the camera is meant to be ok! Not amazing though

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Decent for the net? Nope.

Decent for email, probably. I prefer email on the iPhone. But i hate clunky OS's like BB 4.x/5.x

Facelift R53 Cooper S
X10 is a good shout as the interface looks sexual, plus its Android 2.0

What about the Nokia N900 or HTC HD2?.........both decent iPhone alternatives

although tbh the 3GS rawks!

I would never go back to a normal phone after the iphone 3gs, also this new palm thing is meant to be the 'iphone killer' so mayb have a look.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Its not android 2.0 its 1.6

N900 could be good, but i doubt it.
HD2 is winMO so its s**t.

Palm Pre was terrible when i used them (CDMA and GSM variants)

The Bus and MRT
Hero is 2.0 ready. You could wait for the Motorola milestone.

HTC phones are great its the OS that makes all the difference.

Yeah, others at work have HTC's and don't have any problem. I think it's just the Diammond that is shite, I've tried no end of different ROMS and they've all been terrible.

Only thing putting me off the Hero is that it has a 5Mp camera as opposed to the Diammond's 3.2 but the lense is still the same (which is shite) and I don't think it has a flash?

thought about a blackberry??

I've upgraded to a 9700 (should be here on monday)

meant to be pretty decent for emails and the net if that's what you want.

And the camera is meant to be ok! Not amazing though

Not sure about a Blackberry, I like the look of them but I really don't send a lot of e-mails from my phone. Mostly use it for calls, texts, internet and occasional Facebook, with the n95 I used the camera a lot but it's not even worth bothering with the HTC :(

X10 is a good shout as the interface looks sexual, plus its Android 2.0

What about the Nokia N900 or HTC HD2?.........both decent iPhone alternatives

although tbh the 3GS rawks!

Any idea's when the X10 will be released?

Will take a look at the N900 and HD2 but I think the HD2 might be a little too large, plus it's still running Windows Mobile and I'm very sceptical of getting another HTC on Windows :(

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
For me the current shortlist would be
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 3g
HTC Hero

Future Shortlist
iPhone 3GS
Motorola Milestone
SE X10

Citroen DS3 DSport
I quite like the HTC HD2 from the videos I've viewed demonstrating it.

Not sure I'd give up my 3GS for one though. The Milestone looks good but the interface is lacking a little in comparison to the iPhone so I don't think it quite makes the grade. I'm sure better Android 2.0 options will be released with some OS changes to improve the usability of it.

Facelift R53 Cooper S
For me the current shortlist would be
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 3g
HTC Hero

Future Shortlist
iPhone 3GS
Motorola Milestone
SE X10

How can you disregard the Nokia N900 and Maemo 5?

Also, even though the HTC HD2 is Win Mo 6.5 it has that HTC Sense Interface over it so it's almost like an O/s on its own.......plus it has that 1GHz snapdragon processor so it's not exactly gonna be clunky

oh yeah and fcuk the HTC Hero!, Droid/milestone and the new X10 are the only Android device's to have imo

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
How? Simple, Use an N900 and you get the jist of why.

Maemo 5 is not an established Phone OS. and i would NEVER buy a OS in its first appearance on a device. Plus i have a hatred for resistive touch screens.

The fact that the HD2 needs to be skinned is the issue, if it had Android I'd probably consider it.

As for "f**k the hero" its getting 2.0 so don't write it off. (Plus you can actually buy it NOW)

Last edited:
  The Bus and MRT
The more I look at it the more I'm tempted to wait for the X10. Only problem is I'll have to put up with the HTC Diammon for another 4 months :(

Facelift R53 Cooper S
How? Simple, Use an N900 and you get the jist of why.

Maemo 5 is not an established Phone OS. and i would NEVER buy a OS in its first appearance on a device. Plus i have a hatred for resistive touch screens.

The fact that the HD2 needs to be skinned is the issue, if it had Android I'd probably consider it.

I have an N810 with Maemo OS2008 and it was fine (at the time), once i used the iPhone 3GS i didn't look back admittedly.....but given a device with more horsepower and an updated version of the same O/s (The N900) i'd be happy

I'd definitely consider the N900 as a 3GS alternative

Another thing i may add is the 3gs pulls your pants down on contract. However orange now have it and next year voda have it, it may be worth getting an inbetween phone.

Facelift R53 Cooper S
I've only seen 2.0 on the Droid, and thats without the HTC interface over the top so it will definately appear slightly different on the Hero once they put all the HTC stuff back on

Cupra
A mate of mine has been using a N900 for a couple of weeks now and is happy with it, aside from the battery life. It does look like a nice but of kit, but is certainly chunky.

Revels Mum & Sister
Decent for the net? Nope.

Decent for email, probably. I prefer email on the iPhone. But i hate clunky OS's like BB 4.x/5.x

LOL you do not seem to like ANY phone. A lot of the BB OS's are far from Clunky and with Opera are more than capable of browsing the net.

'52 clio 1.2 16V
Once the hero gets 2.0 i think it will still be able to compete with the newer android phones, especially when the contract price is considered. And its a more than capable media player, the price of the iphone all-in really doesnt justify the difference.

There was some o2 advertising material spotted about a month ago with the HD2 on it but i've seen nothing official since then. Hero is T-mobile, Orange and Vodafone i believe.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
LOL you do not seem to like ANY phone. A lot of the BB OS's are far from Clunky and with Opera are more than capable of browsing the net.

I don't tbh. None of them can compete with the iPhone.
I'm not saying that for any fanboy reason, its just fact. Android comes close, but its still counter intuitive and clunky. (Not as bad as BB os)

Opera might be good, but its a horrendous experience compared with safari on the iPhone.
Skyfire on winmo and Opera 10 on S60 are better, but its still a long way off.

Revels Mum & Sister
Yeah but for people who dont need to spend their life browsing the net on a phone it is WAY more than adequate. Hands down the BB whips the iPhone silly for email use.

Not everyone has to have an App for this and that. I make calls, txts and emails and take the odd Photo. That is about it. Ohh and occasionly use GPS on it. For me the QWERTY keyboard makes life a lot easier.

A lot of people are like this. For you to brand EVERY phone s**t is basically a load of b****cks. You do not personally like them. Every phone has its drawbacks including your beloved iPhone.

I would bet my left nut that most those handsets you have branded shite are actually half decent.

Good job I love your sweet sweet face Gunn xx

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Nah i'm pretty spot on tbh. Its only an opinion.

I would go into exteme detail, but nobody is paying me so what's the point.

I didn't knock the BB's Email i said i preferred the iPhone's

Someone stated the BB is "pretty decent for web browsing" yeah that might be true if you compare it to a T610 or a Nokia 6300 but not in this company (OP)

And its fair to say that on here i'm pretty much a mobile telephone expert.
People that haven't listened in the past have ended up with s**t phones, so its up to them to do the proper research and find the right handset for them.

I love you too x