ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What power amp/s will I need

Clio 172
I'm planning a moderate ICE install consisting of:

2 x door (50w RMS)
4 x 6x9s (55w RMS)
1 x sub (500w RMS)

Can you tell me if this looks a fairly balanced set up, and what power amps would I need and would it need a separate battery or a power cap?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
TBH it looks like a pretty dreadful set up mate.

A much improved, balanced and better sound quality set up would be front components and a sub, both being powered by amps. Whats your price range and do you already have an aftermarket head unit?

There would be no need to uprate your battery and a powercap is a waste of money imo.

Clio 172
I don't want to mutilate the car too much, so the only components would be the door speakers. What do you recommend. I have an alpine head unit with 3 RCA pairs. All the speakers need to be powered by separate amps.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Cool well I'll start having a wee look but some 13cm components would mean that you dont have to mutilate the car as thats the standard size, the tweeters can also go in the original locations in the dash.

So the basic set up would be
Alpine HU
13cm comps
10 or 12"sub
2 way channel for comps
mono or bridged 2 way amp for sub

6x9s are to be avoided really and 4 would be pretty bad. What sort of budget should i be working to?

Clio 172
I wanted to do it as cheaply as possible with 2nd hand stuff. I'm looking for a spec rather than actual products.

Monaro VXR
Spec 2 decent amps capable of delivering 50w rms minimum into 2 channels.

Amp for sub monoblock would probably be cheaper.

Set of 13cm components and a 12" sub.

And some good cabling cabling can cost around £100 £150 on its own for some fairly decent quality stuff and it makes a difference. Since you would be running 2 amps basically better to get a fused distribution block.

Just sack the 6 x 9's off and just say no to having rear speakers altogether.

Your ears dont point backwards.

work to whatever budget you want to you can do a budget system for 100 quid or you can spend 25k on a system its up to you. How much are you looking at spending?

gsb

98 Sreg Clio RT
As said, ditch the 6x9s they're a waste of money, and are generally just a target for thieves. If at a later date you do decide you want a bit of rear fill (most people dont), then you could run a cheap set of components of the HU. I would get a decent HU, decent front Comps and a sub. Then amp them all up with either a 4 channel amp or two amps (one for comps and one for sub). If you give a rough idea of your budget someone could reccommend some stuff.

Clio 172
Cheers for the replies. I'm running an Alpine 9847. Would like to stick with Alpine too. I was lookng at the R-Type range. 2 components and a sub isn't quite loud enough!

I currently have the cheaper 1302s in the door and the 6x9 from the same range in a parcel stealth shelf. They are running off the HU amps (45w). The sound is good but I need a sub, and it's not quite loud enough.

Guide budget of £7-800 for amps and speakers. I already have quality cabling going in the car, as it's being retrimmed, ready for the ICE at a later date.

Any guidance welcome.

Monaro VXR
Alpine headunits are great amps are great value for money other than that can get better for the money when it comes to the speakers.

But Im sure a few of us could change your mind about a set of components up front and 1 sub not being loud enough.

Decent amp'd setup is a little different your headunit is only putting out around 18w RMS a decent amp would be putting out 5 times that into your components.

Polo + Micra
100w RMS to a set of decent comps is more than enough

600w RMS to a nice 12 sealed in a small box .9 cu.ft

and 3 rolls of xtreme

Clio 172
I can't turn the head unit all the way up at the moment as the 1302s start 'farting'. I think they're 100w peak and 30w RMS. Open to your suggestions.

Polo + Micra
clio-lane said:
I can't turn the head unit all the way up at the moment as the 1302s start 'farting'. I think they're 100w peak and 30w RMS. Open to your suggestions.

yes that would be the "45w" hu amp clipping it's tits off

running an amp with 100w RMS to a decent set of comps is going to sound sweet