ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What should I do?

172 Cup
Ok to cut a long story short, last week some douche caused me to have an accident and possibly writing off my car.

Most of the damage is to the front near side wheel / suspension.

I got an estimate of the repair and the body shop said it will be about 4k.

Im guessing my insurance will probably write the car off due to the cost etc.

Now I prosume they are only going to give me book price on a 172 cup. Ideally ill want to buy the car back.... now here's where the dilema comes in.
Do I...
a) repair the car myself with my brother sourcing my own parts etc.
b) strip the car down and sell all the mods and other bits and buy a completly different car (Ibiza Cupra / Civic Type R or other car)
c) strip down all parts from the car and buy a cheap 1*2 and just swap parts back over

Pics of damage and accident.
DSCF0232.jpg

07112008314.jpg

07112008315.jpg

07112008319.jpg

Bassically he cut accross my lane to turn down a side road and stopped, I braked and skidded, swerved to avoid a head on. Missed his car and twated the front n/s wheel into a kerb.
Detailnew.png

Garage have quoted 4k to fix it.
price1.jpg

price2.jpg

I have no idea why they've put some things on the parts list though.

They have said there is a slight crease in the roof so it'll need re-jigging... great.

Any help / ideas are greatly appreciated.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
lol nice audatex estimate.
120 quid for a wheel alignment! pmsl.
im doing an estimate on audatex on a cup at the mo lol.
ps the air bag badge is automatic when you replace the windscreen.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Nice of them to replace the door sticker, nice £52.80 + VAT.

I would get a second opinion from another bodyshop. Most of the things may not be needed at all.

just by looking at images i can tell exactly what a car needs thats my job.
the estimate is pretty good tbh he clearly wants it accurate because its a potential total.

gal.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
I wouldnt say the door sticker was 60quid to be fair. I wouldnt have added that on.

Never doubted you but i re read the estimate and i would say yes to most of it, just not the stupid sticker.

Ohh look a free shock absorber too. Haha.

TTRS & V50
just by looking at images i can tell exactly what a car needs thats my job.
the estimate is pretty good tbh he clearly wants it accurate because its a potential total.

gal.

Tottally agree, people don't actually appreciate what parts cost etc, until they start working in a bodyshop etc.

b/g 182, meg tourer
i would break it for spares and get a low mileage ph1 172. not spend 4k fixing a car.
sorry to hear it tho mate. gutted for you

A Flamin' Red one
Unless you're planning on keeping the car for many more years you're going to be wasting your money mate. As has been said many a time on here recently, the price of 1*2s has taken a hammerimg. Break it and buy a cheap new one.

You've not yet mentioned insurance though? Not going down that route?

172 Cup
Oh my poor cup! :cry: gutted mate totally gutted

Dont worry too much mate insurance have agreed to fix it.

Gutted for ya mate, Karl didn't say anything!

Know what you're gonna do yet?

As above

You've not yet mentioned insurance though? Not going down that route?

Yeah obviously going to go down insurance route.

Garage asked about the coilovers and said if I order them they'll add them to the invoice so I get them replaced.

Car is currently been fixed just waiting on my front coilovers to arrive then work is going to carry on.

S4 Avant
That looks exactly like what happened to my car when I bought it! exactly like it!

Same price for repair too, and from experience I'd say, stay well clear, no where near worth repairing it.

172 Cup
That looks exactly like what happened to my car when I bought it! exactly like it!

Same price for repair too, and from experience I'd say, stay well clear, no where near worth repairing it.

Why not? Work on the engine alone is worth it been repaired tbh

Gutted mate! Take it it's his insurance paying for it?

Yeah when they finally catch him

A Flamin' Red one
So if his insurance is paying for the repair why all the questions about what you should do? Surely you will only have to pay your excess?

172 Cup
So if his insurance is paying for the repair why all the questions about what you should do? Surely you will only have to pay your excess?

Yeah it's all sorted now when I originally posted this though they were unsure if they were going to repair it or not lol

Sorted now though.

S2 106 GTI
Fk Highsports the coilovers are mate - hope to see it back running again, still got the seat in it?

172 Cup
Fk Highsports the coilovers are mate - hope to see it back running again, still got the seat in it?

Yeah lol

Missus never got round to forcing me to take them out.

Ordered the coilovers and a carbon front splitter should be arriving today garage have no problems fitting them.

Where is the Cat located mate, under the car or in the bay? Needs to go back on for MOT time.

fil_b

ClioSport Club Member
  172 FF and Fabia VRS
sorry if been asked

have you been intouch with his insurance company?? see what they say??

he did cause you to have to bump

S2 106 GTI
Yeah lol

Missus never got round to forcing me to take them out.

Ordered the coilovers and a carbon front splitter should be arriving today garage have no problems fitting them.

Where is the Cat located mate, under the car or in the bay? Needs to go back on for MOT time.

under the car near the front - how many miles has she on here now? get some recent pics up too haven't seen her for ages!

172 Cup
Latest news is that the insurance Engineer has been out to view the car to check everything is still ok to go ahead with the repairs. Not looking forward to his report.
Find out on Thursday if they are writing it off or not.

FAO
Rich, Not too many miles now just over 60k I think
dont have many latest pics for you but just a few over the last couple of months. Havent changed her much purely because how I bought it off you was perfect. Dont know if you've already seen these.

08092008894.jpg

08092008892.jpg

08092008910.jpg

She's a very dirty girl here, this was taken about 5 hours before the crash, was whoring her the weekend.

06112008268.jpg

M2 Competition
If you're going down the insurance route why buy it back? :S

Just take the payout and buy something else with the money.

M2 Competition
What mods? The seats?

Coilovers etc will be ruined.

Car will be worth more in insurance payout than market value at the moment.

172 Cup
What mods? The seats?

Coilovers etc will be ruined.

Car will be worth more in insurance payout than market value at the moment.

Ive already ordered some new coilovers so either way ill sell as full set or put them on the new Clio

Exhaust, filter, seats, Engine itself, remapped, the full tank of fuel that I put in prior to the crash at 102p lol

Think when you buy back it's roughly 17% of the payout so would be about a grand.