ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What size steelie would fit my 172?

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I want to remove the spare alloy in order to reduce weight but I don't want the risk of no spare. What size steelie would fit over the calipers of the 172?

Anyone any ideas what car I could get one from?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I want to remove the spare alloy in order to reduce weight but I don't want the risk of no spare. What size steelie would fit over the calipers of the 172?

Let me get this straight, you're going to replace your alloy spare wheel with a steel one to save weight?

Changing to the same size steel wheel isn't going to save any weight. And changing to a smaller steel wheel and smaller tyre isn't going to save enough weight to make a noticeable difference. Even removing the wheel altogether is only going to save 18 kgs. Which is only worth about 0.05 seconds in 0-60 time or quarter mile.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car

Let me get this straight, you're going to replace your alloy spare wheel with a steel one to save weight?

Changing to the same size steel wheel isn't going to save any weight. And changing to a smaller steel wheel and smaller tyre isn't going to save enough weight to make a noticeable difference. Even removing the wheel altogether is only going to save 18 kgs. Which is only worth about 0.05 seconds in 0-60 time or quarter mile.

I'm not looking for a 16'' steel wheel, I was asking what size steel would fit. Bearing in mind that a 172 wheel weighs the best part of 18kg as you said, I find it very hard to believe that a similar size if not smaller steel wheel would weigh nearly as much.

Tyre foam is not an option unfortunately as I just don't trust it.

14 would fit on the back but if you have a front puncture you've have to swop front to back and put the spare on the back.

Same as the Civic CTR owners have to.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Super, I have a 14'' Vauxhall steel in the garage. I'll give that a dabble.