ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What Speakers

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Hi all,

Im after replacing my speakers in my PH1, i dont to change the head unit as i like OME or do i want amps or subs in the boot as im 37 and a little to old for all of that stuff.

Im just after a nice little up grade as my rears rattle as well.

Cheers in advance

Scott

1.2 16v clio
your never too old to have a decent sound system i know alot of people older then you with a loud system lol

also there is no point in changing your speakers unless you amp them as the rms output on an original stereo is very small so you will be drastically under powering them

mk2 182
Just by changing the head unit alone with give you noticeably better sound. I know you said you prefer the oem look. You can get some nice head units that are not lit up like Xmas tress etc.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Cheers guys but i also like that im able to adjust my head unit/cd player from the Renault stalk by the steering wheel.
Im more into making it handle better and go a bit quicker, just thought id replace the speakers first then see how i go.

Cheers Scott.

Polo + Micra
if you must keep the standard head unit to drive the speakers then i'd say these

you should still get a decent volume out of them from the little power the head unit offers

WRX
You can still use the stalk controls on aftermarket HUs. MT Audio on here sell adapters to suit.

you can still use the steering wheel stalk controls with an aftermarket headunit. all you do is by the stalk harness and patch lead (as the other chap said check out mt audiothey will tell you exactly what one you need for your specific headunit) its a cheap and easy fix.

once you have your wires then all you have to do is remove the dash, plug and go :) 20min job max!

sound quality will be noticably better with a aftermarket headunit, and as the other guys said - you dont need anything flash :)!

WRX
Just to correct the above post slightly, you don't need to remove the dash. I think it was meant to read remove original HU from dash.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Ok thats good then, ill look into it and see what HU i like.
But if there is a link to any good speakers then please post

S

When I fitted mine I had to remove the dash in order to get to the clock where one of my leads had to plug into, located under the clock, which is secured in by the dashboard-hence why the dash was necessary to remove :)

When I fitted mine I had to remove the dash in order to get to the clock where one of my leads had to plug into, located under the clock, which is secured in by the dashboard-hence why the dash was necessary to remove :)

There is a lead that let's you do it without removing the dash, I just got one and fitted it ok with my Sony HU. I reluctantly dithched the cassette HU as I loved the old school look but the step up in sound and practicality (Bluetooth for audio and phone) was well worth it.

speaker wise I am happy with the infinity 5020 in the front, 5032 in the back that I fitted.

Wish I knew of that damn lead ha!

I bet, I hope I didn't come across too smug :p ! I had bought the one that needs access to the back of the clock. I was putting off fitting it and then saw a thread talking about the no dash out one by chance as most threads refer to the dash out one (hence buying one in the first place) !

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
There is a lead that let's you do it without removing the dash, I just got one and fitted it ok with my Sony HU. I reluctantly dithched the cassette HU as I loved the old school look but the step up in sound and practicality (Bluetooth for audio and phone) was well worth it.

speaker wise I am happy with the infinity 5020 in the front, 5032 in the back that I fitted.

I like Infinity stuff, ill look them up.

What did you pay for them?

Cheers scott.

Sunflower Ph1 172
Sorry to resurect this old thread, but did you get round to upgrading? I've just fitted a cheap aftermarket headunit but I just want some better quality sound. I listen to a lot of music (not bassy/sick tunezz), and I'd just like something with a bit more depth. What would I need for quick cheap upgrades for front and rear speakers for ph1 172?

Listerine & Poledo
If you've got a decent HU, just fit a small sub in the boot and leave the door speakers as is.

The OEM speakers do alright, especially if your HU has a high-pass filter to stop too much low-end going to the speakers.

Sunflower Ph1 172
If you've got a decent HU, just fit a small sub in the boot and leave the door speakers as is.

The OEM speakers do alright, especially if your HU has a high-pass filter to stop too much low-end going to the speakers.

hmm.. any suggestions. I'm clueless when it comes to audio.

Listerine & Poledo
I bought a pioneer "pump" active sub about 10 years ago, had it in 4 cars and never had a problem.

It's not gonna bass out the world, but to give OEM kit a helpin hand, perfect.

In fact, mine is currently sat with nothing to do...it won't fit in an Mx-5

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
What brand of sub is it Charlie, and are you happy with the performance, quality and depth it provides? I'm really interested in getting an under-seat sub and you're the first I've seen with experience!

Where are you based Charlie, and are you planning on going to FCS this year? I'd love to hear how it sounds.

Cheers

Clio 1.2
It's nothing to heavy , 500W , it sounds great and still leaves with boot space, I'm in fife,Scotland , I won't be there but once I get my sound system finished il video for you

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Well that's close to being a 900 mile round trip from me to you & back so a listen will have to wait for another time ;)

Look forward to the video, meanwhile, thanks for the positive comments - looks like yet another raid on the savings fund is in order!

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
Hijacking the thread sorry, Is there any point in having a sub with a stock HU? Like is it compatable or just a waste?
I want the sound but like the OEM look on the dash haha

yes you can get a rca lead that fits the cd charger plug so can run a amp and sub.