ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What Spec iMac!?

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
New iMac, worth the cash?

Will be used for general computing (office, surfing, music, email etc).

Have no need for a MBP as portability isn't important (I already own an iPad and a new works laptop).

I'm thinking 27", i5 2.9GHz processor, 8GB ram, 1TB Fusion.

Good buy or would the base 21" be a better buy with i5 2.7GHz processor, 16GB ram, 1TB Fusion?

My old desktop has had it's day, I did consider building a PC 6 months ago but then my boiler blew up so I had to reconsider my priorities lol. I'm now finally in a position to replace the trusty steed :).

Anybody rate the new iMac?

This would be a long term buy, I'd be looking to keep it for 5+ years.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
27" or don't go don't bother, they are epic.

Personallyid go for the older model from the refurb store if you can.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I can get a heavy discount through work, around 10% iirc and office for £8.95 so was going to buy new.

Don't most use the edu link? I'm not aware of anyone getting busted but I could be wrong?

TTRS & V50
Depends what you budget is.

We got 2 of the new iMac 27" at work and other than having no CD drive and it being ultra thin, it's really not much different over th old version. They look funking sleek though !

If money is no object and you don't need a CD drive then get the new one, otherwise do the above.

Regarding screen size, get the biggest ! You can always upgrade internals but never screen size. 27" all the way.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I can get a heavy discount through work, around 10% iirc and office for £8.95 so was going to buy new.

Don't most use the edu link? I'm not aware of anyone getting busted but I could be wrong?

The 3 I've bought thru refurb store have been over 15% discount over new every time anyway...

Sack MS office off and get OpenOffice. MSO is way too bloated and generally Microsofty.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Cool, so the refurb ones are pretty much as new (no scratches etc)?

Cost isn't really an issue, I'll be sticking most of the cost on a 0% CC rather than using savings - free borrowing :).

Is the fusion drive worth the dollar?

I'm guessing apple care is a must?

27" is an absolute must. I've had mine for 2 years and having to use the 21.5" at Uni is unbearable.

Still can't really find a use for one of these. Maybe as a monitor for my gaming PC.

Spec I wouldn't worry too much about. The base machine is going to be awesome anyway. But 21" vs. 27"? GTFO. I'd kill myself before buying the 21"

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Right decided on the 27"

Is the Fusion worth the dollar?

I'm guessing ordering through the edu link is a bit too naughty?

IMO yes it is. either that or the full-baller SSD. Mechanical drives have had their day. IMO they're the biggest single bottleneck in modern computers. The extra speed and responsiveness of SSD is very rea and very noticeable, not just on benchmarks. My only experience of hybrid SSD was comparing boot times on an otherwise identical MBP. The hybrid was more than 30 seconds quicker.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
IMO yes it is. either that or the full-baller SSD. Mechanical drives have had their day. IMO they're the biggest single bottleneck in modern computers. The extra speed and responsiveness of SSD is very rea and very noticeable, not just on benchmarks. My only experience of hybrid SSD was comparing boot times on an otherwise identical MBP. The hybrid was more than 30 seconds quicker.

Cheers Roy!!!

In that case I think I'll give the Fusion a shot, I honestly cant justify the full SSD cost as I'll only be using the machine for basic everyday stuff.

I'll also leave the RAM at 8GB and upgrade via a 3rd party.

It's worth noting that the two machines were identical in spec only. Obviously their operating systems and applications etc. will have been in a different state of cleanliness, so it wasn't exactly a scientific experiment.

SSD drives however, are just noticeably faster all the time anyway. I haven't used a Fusion (lol) drive personally, so I couldn't comment on real world advantages.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
It's worth noting that the two machines were identical in spec only. Obviously their operating systems and applications etc. will have been in a different state of cleanliness, so it wasn't exactly a scientific experiment.

SSD drives however, are just noticeably faster all the time anyway. I haven't used a Fusion (lol) drive personally, so I couldn't comment on real world advantages.

The following vid it suggests the Fusion is pretty rapid (albeit slightly slower than an SSD).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mdmo2aB5b8g

Got to be worth the extra surely...

DB.

BMW 440i
Put it this way, I went with the standard spec 27" and its never even so much stuttered, very quick machine.