ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What springs with cup shocks ?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Mine was exactly the same when I bought it! Even passed an MOT like that - wasn't particularly lower on that side, and the fracture was at the top of the spring, pretty much impossible to spot without having the wheel off.

Fair to say it drives nicer after refreshing all the suspension, but it was surprisingly alright before, all things considered.

View attachment 1527849
Genius idea with the bungee - I normally end up holding the shaft up awkwardly on an axle stand or some shonky lump of wood - this looks much better (y)

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
TBH 15 year old stock springs have probably sagged by 5-10mm anyway.

I was driving around on a spring for over a year with the last turn snapped off without noticing.... that must have been a good 10-15mm lower and I was totally ignorant.
Ive had 2 broken front springs on my 182 and never noticed. Both were just a couple of inches on the end.
Mick at Diamond motors spotted the first one when he was servicing it and second one a couple of years later was picked up when I took it for an MOT.
I really doubt anybody would feel the difference when driving it. I've had it since new and I couldn't feel any difference.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Think I've spoke to you about this Kev?Are Trophy front springs identical to the Cup ones?, the only difference being the Sachs Dampers?
I think that's a good idea of yours if so, as a lot of guys I'm sure like the height & ride of the OEM Renault Coil Springs 👍

If someone can send me a front and rear Clio 182 spring I can get them tested and tell you lol
It would not surprise if they were effectively the same - the basic chassis was the same weight as the 182 Cup.
The advantage was the improved damping vs a regular twin tube.

BG 182FF
If someone can send me a front and rear Clio 182 spring I can get them tested and tell you lol
It would not surprise if they were effectively the same - the basic chassis was the same weight as the 182 Cup.
The advantage was the improved damping vs a regular twin tube.
182: 2.43/5.04 daNM/mm F/R
182 Cup: 3.19/5.65 daNM/mm F/R
182 Trophy: 3.19/5.65daNM/mm F/R

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
I do not. I cannot see them being majorly different to compared to the other lowering springs on the market due to having to work with the OEM dampers. Certainly the measurements I took when I removed a set from my Clio did not show up any surprises.
Most manufacturers do not like giving away information like this so usually this is only revealed when someone independant measures a set and posts their findings online.

Renault Clio RS 182
I've a 2005 182 with [supposedly] the cup pack, but I've not measured up yet. I was considering fitting lowering springs as I've never liked the ride height of the Clio. I've a few questions :

o Is there a difference between stock non cup-pack and cup-pack springs ?

o Are coilovers worth the large premium over lowering springs if you only plan to use the car on the road ?

o I was considering Eiback Sportlines, what are they like in terms of spring rate in comparison to stock springs ?

o Would you recommend changing the turret bearings when changing the springs ?

o Will the tracking and wheel alignment need to be redone after fitting the lowering springs ? Does it alter camber/caster on the car ?

Many thanks in advance.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Over the years I've ran Standard springs, Eibach Prolines, Eibach sportlines and my current car runs Grams - All with 172 cup/182 cup shocks depending on the car

I found the Standard springs and eibach prolines almost identical, in fact I couldn't tell a difference - granted I didn't jump back and forward to test with 2 cars.

I REALLY like cup dampers and Sportlines - They are a brilliant match, subtle drop, car is much nicer on turn in, ride comfort is good, barely any harsher than stock and high speed stability feels much improved.

I took advantage of the grams springs and cup shocks deal that was going at the time I built my van, now unfortunately I run all polly bushes on this one which none of my others ran so it wouldn't be fair for me to compare the springs to sportlines. The van has a harshness to its ride that I didn't have on my cars before but this will almost certainly be down to the bushes, however it feels more planted and the back end is more playful which I would say is mostly down to the springs.

while I couldn't pick a favourite between the Grams and Sportlines due to the above, I am happy to say what ever ones you choose I think you will find them well matched to the cup dampers.

NBG182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182FF
I've a 2005 182 with [supposedly] the cup pack, but I've not measured up yet. I was considering fitting lowering springs as I've never liked the ride height of the Clio. I've a few questions :

o Is there a difference between stock non cup-pack and cup-pack springs ?

o Are coilovers worth the large premium over lowering springs if you only plan to use the car on the road ?

o I was considering Eiback Sportlines, what are they like in terms of spring rate in comparison to stock springs ?

o Would you recommend changing the turret bearings when changing the springs ?

o Will the tracking and wheel alignment need to be redone after fitting the lowering springs ? Does it alter camber/caster on the car ?

Many thanks in advance.

Yep, Cup springs are different. Have to be to give the lower ride height.

Sportlines are a bit firmer than cup springs, but not ridiculously so. More comfortable than some of the other springs on the market supposedly.

Might as well change the top mount bearings since you're going to have them off anyway. But it's a slippery slope and before you know it you're doing a full suspension refresh. 😂

You should get the tracking done really. Lowering the car will change the tie rod angles, which will change the toe slightly.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I do not. I cannot see them being majorly different to compared to the other lowering springs on the market due to having to work with the OEM dampers. Certainly the measurements I took when I removed a set from my Clio did not show up any surprises.
Most manufacturers do not like giving away information like this so usually this is only revealed when someone independant measures a set and posts their findings online.

You've had some spring rates tested and seem to think your grams are very close to Cooksports so assumed you'd have had the Cooksports tested and grams made to match(ish)?

Renault Clio RS 182
Thank you so much for this guys, really appreciate this.

I'm going to measure up the distance between the strut bolts today to confirm whether I do actually have Cup suspension or not. I believe it's 60mm for a Cup strut, does anyone know what it is it for a standard one ?

@NBG182 Yes I know what you mean about the slippery slope... I may have to have a think about whether to refresh the lot.

@Martin_172 As a matter of interest, did the car feel better with the poly bushes all round ? One thing that always worries me about polybushing a road car is that the rubber bushes dampen the vibrations sufficiently to protect the shell, while the polybushes don't. On a race car [which clocks up almost no miles] they make perfect sense but I'm just concerned with the high volume of use a road car gets, I'll end up with damage to the shell. Maybe I'm being overly cautious ?

Again massive thanks for all your help here guys.