ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What to watch out for on a 16v

Im thinking of going to look at a 16v locally, hopefully to buy it. Ive never looked at a 16v before. What should I look out for, apart from rust? ;)

Cheers!

Dont know specifically about the 16v but generally its like this..............check for: -

check the service history........MoTs, reciepts etc

oil leaks

check the temperature gauge is OK......not running hot

check the condition of the interior including the boot

check condition of the exterior including under the bonnet

check the wheels & tyres for kerbing

check the spare wheel

run the car from COLD, LISTEN for any abnormal noises

check the gearbox change is smooth

find a place you can turn full circle lock to lock......listen for knocking

remove the oil filler cap......your looking for whitish gunge (head gasket)

Also "I" up the owner.........youll soon know if hes a scally eh ;)

and thats about all I can think of at the mo :D

Cya Stu

[Edited by stusV6 on 22 February 2005 at 5:01pm]

Cheers Stu :)

I know most of that already though.. just wondered if theres any particular problems on the 16vs that I should look out for.

Take/slide the electric sunroof switch out and see if theres any water as most sunroofs leak but sure u know that already! + general electrics/switches!

Jase

Valver

Put steering on full lock to see if the power steering pump starts squealing. Check coolant level in expansion bottle (went to look at an RT for a mate and it was empty, splash marks all up the inside of the bonnet on the drivers side (water pump had gone). Check that the oil guages all work. Check the heaters working. Cant think at the mo, Im sure theres a guide on the main page somewhere.

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Do a search for buying guide, when I bought mine 4 years ago think Jass was a good one and may be on the home page via a link.

Definately check anything electrical. Dont look in dark and try and get a nice torch to check out engine bay and all the dark places. Any signs of corrosion (not just on bodywork) can increase labour times if you cant get bolts etc undone.

Service history, cambelt change every 5 years or at 72k and then I think every 36k. Water pump, alternator. PAS is usually noisy on most. Heavy clutch, if heavier than normal sign of it on the way out. Oil should be changed every 6k.

Just find out what has been done and replaced (receipts the only proof) as you will be buying an old car and things do need replacing over time. Anything engine bay related and costs are high due to access restrictions.

With the age thing, you will be amazed what a difference new disks, shocks, ht leads, dizzy cap, spark plugs etc can make. Also check panels are aligned, tracks straight when driving etc for signs of damage. Silly things like all tyres being same make shows someone has looked after it.

I used to do huge essays on things to look out for on a 16V/Williams, so look back a few years on my name with the search function (if you can).

Overall, the best possible advice is to try and buy from a long-term owner and Cliosporter. There are plenty of Valver owners who spare no money in keeping their pride and joy at 100% all the time. Wait for one to come up and buy one of these. Its the simplest way to find a minter.

All other advice is wasted when its so easy to find a minter from a member.