ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What tools do i need for aux belt/tensioner/idler change

ph quick
Want to do this job on my car and dont fancy paying reno 200 labour for something that doesnt look too hard, Ive got socket sets etc but just wondering what tools ill need.

Could someone list them for me please so i know what i need to buy...

So far i was thinking i could use this:

for the tensioner, possibly with a cut off and ground down 3.8 extension if the bit on the end doesnt stick out enough

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LOOK-Brand-Ne...ryZ30922QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also looks like ill need a set of torx spanners for the tensioner bolts?

Anything else for removing bumper, rad, headlight etc?

Thanks

Drop me an email for the guide to do this

eddeuk yahoo.co.uk

But realy unless you know what your doing and have the tool forget it.

2.7 hours book labour to chnage it.

ph quick
Cheers i think i can make a tool ok, looking at the new tensioner i have here i just need to chop down my small 3/8 extension bar and use it with the tool off ebay... Checked out the idler at the bottom, doesnt look too hard to get to, am i being stupid thinking this is doable without removing the bumper?

Black 172 FF
I never removed my headlight, but did remove the bumper...

The new tensioner sempt to have alot more tension on it than the old, we simply made a tool out a old bit of flat bar and curvedit to go around the headlight worked a treat.

Took about 5 mins to make and tac the bit of square bar on the end :)

We had never even worked on the clio before lol and did cam + aux belts.

ph quick
Cheers all, the tool arrived today and i got the job done... Took about 3.5 hrs included making a tool and fiddling about drilling out a seized bolt so not too bad.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
my engine will be out anyway ;)

wasnt sure if there was anything tricky about doign it :eek:

ph quick
with engine out you wont even need the special tool, 3/8 ratchet or breaker bar with a short extension will take the tension off for you ;)

'92 172, Lotus Elise
brilliant ;)

timing same as the mk1? done by markers?

not need anything to stop the cams turning?

ph quick
Oh no i was just talking about the aux belt, for the cambelt im pretty sure you will need to get the tool to lock the cams, someone posted an ebay link up for the tools needed the other day but i cant remember what thread it was on, it was about 40 quid