ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What type of metal is the front and rear jacking points made from on the 182?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
What type of metal is the front and rear jacking points made from on the 182? Will it rust like my Mk1 did after bending from being jacked up? Or is it galvanised now?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah the mk2s are very solid mate. Rust isn't a massive issue.

The ph1 can suffer a tad on the rear arches but usually poor repair work or salt and crap sitting in the arches.

172 Cup
I just apply some fresh Hammerite underbody seal on the jacking areas once it's worn a bit thin. Admittedly it wears off after a while like the original Renault stuff, but until then it'll keep the floor protected.

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Don't use them if you can, use the rear beam for the back and just behind the subframe for the front. Much stronger place

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Ok thanks. I do jack the rear from the rear beam already, and I would like to jack the front form the point mentioned, but the car is too low to get the jack under? Is this a common problem or do I need a new jack? I'm still worried that the front sill jacking points are now going to rust as they are all bent and the layers of metal are separated, what's the best way to mitigate this?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Ok thanks. I do jack the rear from the rear beam already, and I would like to jack the front form the point mentioned, but the car is too low to get the jack under? Is this a common problem or do I need a new jack? I'm still worried that the front sill jacking points are now going to rust as they are all bent and the layers of metal are separated, what's the best way to mitigate this?

get a jack with a bigger saddle. You want something at least 100mm diameter. If you spread the load properly it's not an issue. Small saddle jacks like those sold in Halfords are crap

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Do you mean a bigger saddle jack will be lower and thus fit under the car, or a bigger saddle jack will stop the sill jacking points from bending?

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
They will rust.....

clio_jack_point1.jpg

Used a trolley jack on its side against a wall and a wooden prop to push against the bend from the opposite side.

It worked and it is a bit more controllable than a big hammer, surprisingly hard to bend them back into position though despite being so easy to distort.

You'll need to remove the side skirts to do it properly.

Treated with Loctite rust-eater, primed and painted.

clio_jack_point2.jpg

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah anyone who uses a jack on the sills is a mong.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
thanks obcuz, very informative. I will clamp them in a vice (with rubber protectors) to bring them back to true, then paint as you have suggested.

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
I thought about the vice method, but despite being made of cheese as suggested, there are 3 laminates of M/S and take some budging even with hydraulics, let us know how you get on though.

Yes, agreed, only the thoughtless (perhaps kinder word) would use these jack points, the fronts were bent on mine but rears are fine, the extra weight on the front make the difference I guess.

PS. wasn't me did that damage and for sure they won't be used again.