ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what tyres do i get? falkens/vredesteins?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Right.
question is - which do i choose?
Falkens or Vredestein sportrac's?
I got new wheels with 4 vredestein sportracs on em. quite good tyres i thought. but now need to replace 2. so went to mytyres.co.uk and noticed that vredesteins are £54 each.
but then spotted falkens are only £44 each.
are falkens any good? i always thouhgt they were even tho never actually had any. do i get 3 vredesteins so i got same tyres all round or try out these falkens and stick to them from now on cos theyre cheaper and just as good?

Clio 172, 2001
If they're the Falken ZE512, they're very adhesive, but don't last long.

I only run Michelin's myself, as I don't trust my car/life to anyone else. You can get PE2's for about £75 a corner, if you shop around.

Clio 16V mk1 ph2
Like Marco said, the Falkens are alright, but they're only a budget tyre, they were never made to last and will probably end up perishing when you still have 4mm of tread left on em! Michelin's are the bees knees, shop around, you'll get em cheap. But if it's one or the other, go for vredersteins. They're what ya class as an "economy" range, so you'll get a little more wear out of them and they should last longer than the falken.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
ah so the falkens are not long lasting?
blackcircle tryin to palm me off with toyos but they last about 10 minutes - or did on my 328 sport anyway.
most of my journey is motorway miles so guess mich's wud be wasted?

and yeah was ze 512.
cheers.

blackcircle or mytyres?

blackcircle are more ££ but thats cos inc fitting price, but mytyres use normal post which is sh*t isnt it. so............

but blackcircle dont sell vredesteins.

Clio 172, 2001
I use Blackcircle without problems, and I wouldn't say the Michelins would be a waste. I'm glad I bought them every time I've got to stop in screaming hurry! Saved me a bunch of times, thats just my opinion though.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
fair do's. not thinkin of keepin the car much longer anyway tho. lowered susp and exhaust was ok when livin in country on b roads but doin the southport to manchester journey in that thing kills me.
plus i got tax and service to get done end of month ideally.
BALLACHE.

Clio 172, 2001
If you're gonna sell it, just put the cheapest crap you can find on the back, and drive it gently 'til sold.

big red bus
instead of making a new thread. What are continental tyres like on cars?

cos ive had them on bikes and loved them (apart from the rears lastingme 3000miles lol)

i honestly think michelins are overrated.

Clio 172, 2001
Conti's are very good. Lots of people rate Goodyear F1's on here too, probably the best VFM (?).

I personally like the Michelins because they're quiet, they grip very well in all weathers, and don't wear out at a silly rate. They are generally the most expensive though.

Different tyres will suit different drivers!

Last edited:

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Saving a few quid on rubber is foolish, it's the only thing in contact with the road.

Michelins are by far the best 'all' weather tyre.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
southport area really. from ormskirk. but working and half living in manchester and half in southport. y?

Clio 16V mk1 ph2
Just wondered cause if ya were anywhere near me I could get ya some cheap tyres and fit em for ya...but as ya not, plan out the window...sorry!

SLK 350
Saving a few quid on rubber is foolish, it's the only thing in contact with the road.

Good advice.

g40steve said:
Michelins are by far the best 'all' weather tyre.

Rubbish.

Autocar did a Tyre test two weeks ago, Goodyear were above Michelin.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/228552/

EVO did a Tyre test last month too and came up with the following results - tested in wet (lap times and lateral G), for aqua planing, braking distance (wet and dry), dry handling (lap times and lateral G), road route (real world driving).

Overall results:

1) Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric
2) Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta
3) Continental ContiSport Contact 3
4) Bridgestone Potenza RE050-A
5) Michelin Pilot Sport PE2
6) Pirelli PZero Nero
7) Kumho Ecsta STP KU31
8) Dunlop Sport Maxx
9) Yokohama S. Drive

Last edited:
  SLK 350
^Same.

Wet performance was much better with F1's than PE2, used to find the PE2's were very prone to aqua-planing.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Exaltos won't show in the test cause only limited sizes.

Exaltos best by far i've had in the wet & they last.

Only go off when near markers.

Also if that list is anything to go by some big back handers were dished out;)

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
oh cheers for offer shorty. never mind, think i just go with black circle and get em done b4 i get wallopped with another 3 pts.