ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What weight is your clio

Clio, Nova, Astra
General interest question here has anyone actually weighed their clio after stripping it out, possibly fitting fibreglass, carbon, polycarbs etc...

Just wondering what sort of weight i could achieve.

Thanks

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Mine is 920kg with half a tank of fuel.

still has heaters/dash and passenger seat
poly windows
fg doors
carbon bonnet
fully stripped
6 point cage.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I have fg tailgate and a few other parts on order but even then 900kg is about my target, seen one on here listed as 840kg but don't know where to loose another 80kg.

dan's cast offs.
got one here that weighs in at a touch under 860kg with half a tank of fuel. it's caged and has no fibreglass bits.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Mine is 920kg with a tank of fuel on the Oulton Park scales. I still have standard doors, boot, windows, seatbelts, headlining, heater, radio and speakers, seatbelts etc.

On the to do list is fibreglass doors, tailgate, poly windows etc.

big boost cup
Mine is 920kg with a tank of fuel on the Oulton Park scales. I still have standard doors, boot, windows, seatbelts, headlining, heater, radio and speakers, seatbelts etc.

On the to do list is fibreglass doors, tailgate, poly windows etc.

That's quite light. Going by that I should be sub 900 easy

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I never formally weighed my 172 Cup but I did weigh everything I stripped from it less everything I put back in (e.g. race seat +mount vs standard).

I took out a total of 117kgs so from a starting point of 1,021 it left me at 904kgs.

A little off the topic but I weighed my 172 non-cup the other day. Basically completely standard, full fuel but without spare wheel/toolkit. Came in at 1099kg, I aim to start stripping it at the weekend and will do an after weight once the cage and stuff is fitted. My friend's cup under the same conditions weighed 1046kg. Might be a useful reference for someone.

markfishy

ClioSport Trader
  So many but not mine
So if a fat clio weighs 1000kg USING EASY FIGURES with a standard engine at say 170 bhp at the flywheel, less 30% transmission loses, is approx 120bhp to drive the car along, so in this example is 120 bhp per tonne.
If we get the weight down to say 900 kg which is good going, the power to weight is 133bhp per ton which is effectively an increase of 13 bhp per tonne???
OR should we take flywheel bhp at 170?
This gives at 900kg an effective increase of 19 bhp per tonne. Useful but ?
What will that give if every thing else is equal in reduced lap times.? (of course there will be better braking and cornering from reduced weight and transfer etc to help reduce the lap times)

Where I am trying to go with this is to open the debate on how relevant weight reduction is to a track day car enjoyment ON TRACK.

Agreed Great in the paddock /pits a well prepared light weight car.
I know this is a hobby but it can cost loads of money and huge time to achieve very little on the stop watch (which we arent allowed to use anyway!!)
Yes For pure race we need to get down to the class weight limit to shed every 10th of a second.
Quite a few race classes /championships/ touring cars, use success ballast which can add up to 60kg + to slow down the winners. Even with this added weight the drivers / car performance only seems to be effected by a few tenths per lap, which yes does become significant after 20 mins plus race distance. ( there will be hopefully some body with the lap time to weight calculation ?)
If money is tight (always) I would suggest spending it first on safety, brakes, suspension and driver tuition.
Sorry if bit off subject
best regards mark

alien green rs133
1050 with lpg tank in boot, weight in correct end of car, making it alot more balanced, mid corner and flat over crests :D

Less weight improves almost everything and it's free to start with. Once you get into diminishing returns and start having to spend its no longer really worthwhile.

For me, my car has no interior, relocated smaller battery and buckets/harnesses/cage, but still has glass windows, full dash and heater original panels etc to maximise useability and keep costs down.

Wait, all this weight reduction is for lap times? I thought we were all just trying to get greater fuel economy on track!
Eventually all that expense and time spent saving weight will pay for itself in fuel costs. Admittedly this takes quite a while... But that just means the best way to save money is actually to spend more time on track.

In fact, this logic works for all weight affected consumables, discs/pads + tyres?
Better get more track days booked...

182cup & 172 racecar
I've said before, I can get my road car with everything in, sets, c d's, shopping bags etc, around Brands in 59-60 sec.
The race car does 55-56, but that ain't bad, plus I didn't cook the brakes and was on pet's, it was fun enough.

I've taken out the spare and tools and the backseat rests on a sport (more to come) already it accelerates better in third gear and stops quicker to. This isn't placebo as my brakes are utter shite (got a full set on order from g172)

If shedding weight just means the suspension/brakes/tyres have less work to do then its worth it!

100kg is like 4 bags of cement. I could feel that difference in a transit when I used to be a driver so sure as hell would you feel it on a little Clio!

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Marks spot on and thats why with mine its only lost the seats and belts. I swapped the 16's for 15's because tyres are cheaper and the car does feel better on them in comparison.

I've just fixed the interior fans in the car and im moving on to the rear now. Still not sure whether to go exposed metal or keep the carpets/plastics.

Wheres the sound deadening on these cars from what I can see peeling the carpet away theres some on the passengers floor and a bit above thr exhaust. Anymore in the rear?

I hate how to remove the rear doorcards you have to unbolt the seatbelts. What a stupid design is that? Im still stood here at the back of my car debating whether to go the whole hog. I know if I want to sell the car in future its easy enough to put it all back in but I don't ever want to have to lol

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
For a road car where it's useful to be able to use the boot space, carry passengers etc I don't understand the point of deliberately making an already small car even more impractical by stripping out all of the interior. Personally I wouldn't bother, but whatever floats your boat I guess Joe. :)

Dave LM

ClioSport Club Member
  PH1 172
Joe - once the sound proofing is out these cars are loud inside, particularly with an aftermarket exhaust. For any long drives I started using ear defenders as the resonance inside the car was getting a bit much..

I bet you have horsepowers though! Im debating about just stripping out the sound deadening (the sticky stuff as the material stiff is light as feathers) and maybe the boot carpets. Our seat Mii doesn't even have boot carpet!

Cos of Insanity im now down to 65kg :)

Think I was 73 or 72. Whats slightly more concerning is I had been "cheating" and up until recently I was only on week 3 after about a month and a half.