ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whats the best way to clean a black car

Mito Sportiva 135
Ha... bit of an open ended question really! Do you mean just washing or to get it looking in mint condition?

Mk4 .:R32
If you just want to make it nice and shiny for a few days then wash is with Megs Gold Class, use Autoglym SRP then a decent sealant to get it a deep shine. But if your interested in restoring it's paint work and getting rid of most of the imperfections (swirls, light surface scratches etc) your talking about getting a porter cable, buying about 10 different products and spending about 2 days doing it!!

I'm sure Rich will be along soon and give you a lot more info, he's the detailing buff around here (excuse the pun)

BLACK 197!!
pay someone else to do it black can sometimes be a bit of a pain in the arse depending on the polish u use..

if u want to polish it up i would recommend autoglym super resin polish and then ultra deep shine.

172 MKII FF
I'll keep an eye on this thread because mine is black and it gets so manky. adammichael where about in Oldham are you from? I'm Lees.

TeZ

Non RS : (
i use megs shampoo 2 bucket,
Dry sonus towel,
megs scratch X the lil buggery lines on there,
SRPx2
EGPx2
Swissvax onyx or P21's

106 GTi
The main key issues in to looking after a black car are a safe wash technique.

Two Bucket Method, decent shampoo and Lambswool wash mitt. How you dry the car also matters lots. Microfiber drying towels are a must. I have recently got an Aquagleam water filters so I don't have to dry the car at all. Most swirl marks and marring occurs from the wah stage.

If the car already has swirl marks this is where the problem occurs working by hand you will struggle to remove them 100% and are best off getting a machine polish.

The car can then be sealed and waxed as with any colour though certain Waxes look better on it.

Depending on your budget look into:

Chemical Guys 50/50
Swissvax Onyx
Swissvax Best of Show

All look awesome on Black

TeZ

Non RS : (
One bucket with clean water one with shampoo or watever u choose, just use the clean water to dip sponge? /mitt :) etc before re entering shampoo, therefore not geting dirt in clean detergent.

Last edited:
  106 GTi
LOL I am on about the 10 !

3 buckets upper half, 3 lower half, and one per wheel and arch.

Though not for a while as we have no water for the next 2 odd weeks by the looks of it!

Mito Sportiva 135
LOL I am on about the 10 !

3 buckets upper half, 3 lower half, and one per wheel and arch.

Though not for a while as we have no water for the next 2 odd weeks by the looks of it!

10 Rich...10?!?! Even on your car?!? This is madness (or perhaps Sparta :approve:)

Mito Sportiva 135
The 10 is on my car yes, other cars get 2 lol!

Better safe than sorry I guess...! I feel quite inadequate now with the 3!

I think the filtered water system you use is a great idea, my plan is to run a few jugs of the old Brita filtered water into a few buckets and see how that comes out. At the moment though I am only cleaning my car every other week and never on sunny or hot days so it has been ok.

Black/Gold 182!
Im using at the moment,

Megs Gold Wash (2 Bucket Method)
Sonus Towel for Drying
Car Lack (Scratch remover)
AG SRP
AG EGP
Swisswax Oynx (Best Wax on Black)

That gets the 182 looking nice ;-)

106 GTi
Would not call it a super car lol.

But some pics here:

http://www.richtreen.co.uk/images/concours/
those are fantastic photos. do you fancy coming and giving me a hand with mine. ;) i have a pc for you :D
super car Rich.

Cheers, where about's are you based ?

If I have too. Wheels of and it cleans up okay after.

Whereabouts do you live then rich? i only work in cheltenham. Wouldnt mind seein it. :)

In Tewkesbury, work in Cheltenham myself to.

Mk2 172
I work at the car hifi centre just after the railway bridge. you?
My boss recognises your car.

Last edited:
  106 GTi
Nice one, they fitted bits to my old 309 Goodwood GTi and 306 XSi in the past, will have to pop in sometime and show you the 182.

Just up of the Upper Bath Road.

Mk2 172
Nice one, they fitted bits to my old 309 Goodwood GTi and 306 XSi in the past, will have to pop in sometime and show you the 182.

Just up of the Upper Bath Road.

Yeah they remember you. :) pop in sometime. i think you called in with it just after you got it. I think i remember you gettin a very good deal on it off renault in chelt?