ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whats the best way to remove rear FK coilovers??

Mazda MX5 1.8
really struggling to get mine out the other day (i gave up in the end)

i obviously undo the shock bottom bolt & the bolt to hold on the adjustment bit and jack it up but the suspension arm doesnt drop down anywhere near enough to get them out.

1st of all, is it ok that im jacking/supporting it on the main beam across the back of the car?
Am i just going to have to use a pole and lever the suspension arm down to get them out or is there a better way?

Thanks

1.6 focus zetec....
If you jack up the rear beam... arent you jacking up the wheels?? Did this on a mates corsa and then it finally clicked!!

Mazda MX5 1.8
yeah...... actually now i think of it...... hmmmmmm that could of been a big error

anyone to verify this is where i was going wrong?

well my springs wouldnt fall out when i jack on rear beam,took trolley jack off beam and they just fell so id say so.lol

LY 182
you cant jack it on the rear beam no, if you think about it its exactly the same as trying to take the springs out with it on the floor sitting on its wheels
you need it suspended from the sills so the beam hangs free

M

mini-valver

Your just elevating the car, not jacking the body up and letting the wheels drop. Jack it up on the sill points either side and it'll drop down!

Obviously it wont drop if the frigging jack is under it you spaz!!

Mazda MX5 1.8
ill go and hit myself on the head with a c spanner or 2 lol

honestly...... i do my head in sometimes :D

thanks

Mazda MX5 1.8
i assume the sides are strong enough to support the weight of the whole car (ie. axle stands under both side)

it seems no question is too obvious with me lol

Lionel Richie
yeah as long as the front end is on the ground the rear side jacking points are strong enough, i've never seen them bend

Mazda MX5 1.8
nah just raising them up a considerable amount and its a pain lieing under the car winding them whilst they're on the car so was kinda hoping i could get them off. It seems i made a elementary error :D

plus after like 2 or 3 years they are pretty shabby to say the least so they need a check/clean up.
i may remove them at some point as i basically need a 4x4 to get down to our caravan site now :( so std suspension may be required. fcs may be his last attendance

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
hhmmmm......still never had the wheels either

(you going to lutterworth again mate?......there is a load of us from the south west staying there)...convoying up on the saturday too

Mazda MX5 1.8
wheels wheels wheels
one day...... one car
i will get some wheels.

im afraid Leah has chosen to be anti social and booked a hotel closer to Rockingham which is a bummer. ive nagged her to change it but she wont because the one we're staying at has a pool, gym + sauna.
a bit more expensive but she wants to tart about.

i am planning to convoy with you guys tho and we'll just do what clarkie did last year and peel off to our hotel then maybe come back to lutterworth for a drink depending on how far it is. havent really given it much thought yet