ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whats the danger in...

DCI 80
buying a ph1 172 over 100k, its clearly been looked after well and has had new cam in the last few few thousand miles. Comes with a good service history.

Cheers

Vectra SRi
Only problem in my eyes will be selling it on, too many people get put off by mileage, if the history is as good as you say then I'd go for it!

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
New cam, or cambelt?

receipt for the belt? Price for car, bodywork good etc etc?

BMW F21 125d
A few members have clocked well over 100k, barely run in some say.
I'm sure their was a 174k trophy and a 130k on TB's around here somewhere.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
If its cheap and you plan to keep it go ahead.

Selling a high mileage car is difficult though, and you have to accept a lot less than what its really worth. This is due to the british general 'inbred' public being obsessed with mileage.

leon cupra R
As some have said --

full history stamped, plenty reciepts if neccesary for extra work carried out
make sure cambelts , waterpump, tensioners been changed, at that mileage id do it again for piece of mind
decent test drive and url know if its a heap

100k isnt something to worry about, if its been cared for then it will have nthe history with it.. for 1400 its a ok buy but the price will drop when it comes to resale

I wouldn't be put off but 19 out of 20 "joe public" would. This means when you come to resell you're cutting your market by 95%.

That said I'd still say buy on condition! Also something that has done 100k motorway/country A road miles has probably had a far easier life than one on 40K that's sat in the London rush hour traffic for the past 10 years!

after 100k your gonna get some repair bills, dont think its never gonna cost you. saying that you get one thats done 50k off a chav whos floored it everywhere it could cost you more.

My 182ff is on near enough 90k full service history and as far as I'm concerned its in vgc, then one mate who has a ph1 172 on near 130k he had to have his box refurbed not to long ago which cost about 450, then a work mate has a ph2 172 on about 110k and to be fair he has had loads go wrong recently, leaking shocks, abs/tc has s**t itself, wheel bearings, cv joint, climate control gone mental and a sticking caliper. All I can say is use your eyes take a second pair of eyes with you, go through service history with a fine toothed comb and hope its a good'un. At the end of the day everything has a service life and as cars start getting older stuff just wears out.

53 Clio's & counting
A few members have clocked well over 100k, barely run in some say.
I'm sure their was a 174k trophy and a 130k on TB's around here somewhere.

Twas mine :)

was on 138k when i sold it, and 195bhp.

As long as it is in good condition and good history, with all the usual bits like cambelt done then it should be ok.

IMO these engines don't loosen up properly until higher miles, all the quick ones are over 80k

SQ5
Old one was supercharged on 100+k and was perfect after 15000 on an SC!

After stripping we had engine apart, could still see hone marks etc! This engine was also well tracked and lived near the limiter the 20k before!

Very strong engines as long as belts done!

One of my ph1s with over 100k and belts done is for sale too! Thought you were talking about mine :)

225 Cup & Williams
Nothing wrong with them over 100k tbh. Obviously there is going to be minor wear and tear stuff to replace like brakes and what not but apart from that they are spot on. Mine is sitting on 120k and still pulls very strong.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
If its cheap and you plan to keep it go ahead.

Selling a high mileage car is difficult though, and you have to accept a lot less than what its really worth. This is due to the british general 'inbred' public being obsessed with mileage.

i bought my GT TDI golf with 145,000 miles on it. full service history and ran sweet as a nut. i sold it on last year to a friend of mine and he now uses it for working away. its still going strong and now on 167,000 miles.

if a car has been well looked after it will keep on running sweet as.

dont be put off by high milage