ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

whats the difference between 172sport & a cup

clio 172
Hi All,
What is the difference between a normal facelift 172 sport and a cup version????

Could someone tell me or send me a link of website

Cheers

quite alot of difference , defo do a search buddy .......better off looking at the specs on both which will give u an idea on differences etc

Scirocco GT 210
The 172 SPORT is very fat and is therefore well protected from the cold and can be found in the UK all year round.

The skinny, underweight CUP has to migrate to warmer lands in the autumn, failure to do this can be fatal for the CUP, as there is a high probably they won't survive the winter ;) They return in the spring when it is safe for them to do so :)

J

jamesy

the cup is the lighter weight option and the choice pick with less sound deadening, turini's, sports suspension, no air con or cruise control i believe and can be found in mondial blue and iceburg silver also they have jank seats i think thats it also they are cheaper than other models due to the fact you get less but shave about 0.5 of a sec off ya 0-60 time over other models;)

Steve2004 said:
The 172 SPORT is very fat and is therefore well protected from the cold and can be found in the UK all year round.

The skinny, underweight CUP has to migrate to warmer lands in the autumn, failure to do this can be fatal for the CUP, as there is a high probably they won't survive the winter ;) They return in the spring when it is safe for them to do so :)

truth ..............several fatalities have been spotted at winter times

Air con was an option on later Cups just like the silver paint the most come in blue without air con though.

No ABS or driver assitance realy wheather that an advantegs is questionable I'd have prefere ABS but for track work it is great not having it.

The Cup was a lightweight cut price version with less sound proofing no spare wheel and basic interier (its not that bad its just not leather like the 172). The Cup has different springs and hubs and suspension camber. Its mechanicall very similar to the full fat 172

J

jamesy

kullycliosport said:
traction control, aircon , leather seats , ........................;)

that too;) i did mention air con and jank interiorLOL

Profile 3mm lower
Front bumper with additional lower section
Enlarged rear spoiler above hatch
Greater downforce
Revised suspension
Higher front spring rates
Firmer ride
Front track 20mm wider
New wheel rim offset
Overall weight reduced by 89kg
Spare wheel removed (replaced by 2 anti-puncture inflators)
Air conditioning removed
Side airbags removed
Xenon headlamps removed
Auto-lights removed
Headlight washers removed
Rear headrests removed
Central rear seat belt removed
Heat reflecting windscreen removed
Thinner glass used throughout
Engine cover removed
Leather/alcantera seats replaced with cloth
Sound deadening adapted
Braking system redesigned without ABS
Front castor angle increased by 3°
Rear track 10mm wider
16"x7" Speedline 'Turini' alloy wheels

Monaco Blue 172
Steve2004 said:

hehe good one ;)

i'm afraid i just cant be without abs, even just the other day on a dry road i began to overtake two vehicles and one of them cut me up - they clearly hadnt looked before moving out :dapprove: my gut reaction was to jump on the brakes of course and nearly skidded off the road :eek: luckily they didnt lock and i was able to recover it. doesnt matter how good a driver u are theres always some twit will go and do summat like that. its stress i dont need tbh ;)

VaVa
I've seen that list and i've always wondered where exactly the 89kg comes from.... The wheels save a few kgs, headrests a kg, setbelt parts maybe a kg, engine cover a few grams, no spare about 10kg.... Things like no xenon and all the auto features are more to do with cost than weight saving surely?

Where does the rest come from? 89KG is a lot!!

VaVa
I realised the AC is a resonoble chunk of it - Compressor, pipework etc Although there is a certain Cup owner on here who swears blind that the CC on his cup makes no difference as he never turns it on. I asked him if he took it off the car before he went out in it and disconnected the extra pulley that drives the compressor.. lol.

But sound deadening?!! A few grams?

Thinner glass? A few ounces. I reckon it's marketing b****cks. I'd love to get two standard cars on a weigh bridge.

Ziel Nurburgring
89k is a huge amount. Even if the wheel, AC system, slightly lighter speedlines and glass weighed 50kg, the interior trimmings aren't 40kgs.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Thinner glass would be a few kilos minimum I'd have thought.

Also, not having ABS should count for several kgs?

Only two seatbelts at the rear, no split rear seat, no side airbags...it all adds up.

Ziel Nurburgring
Unless they claim also includes the increased downforce kg's, i cant imagine this adds upto 89kgs

Spare wheel removed (replaced by 2 anti-puncture inflators)
Air conditioning removed
Side airbags removed
Xenon headlamps removed
Auto-lights removed
Headlight washers removed
Rear headrests removed
Central rear seat belt removed
Heat reflecting windscreen removed
Thinner glass used throughout
Engine cover removed
Leather/alcantera seats replaced with cloth
Sound deadening adapted
Braking system redesigned without ABS
16"x7" Speedline 'Turini' alloy wheels

I'm not knocking the car, i'd love to have had one. I got the fatty as the best of both worlds.

VaVa
How can the glass be so much thinner as to shed a few kilos!! It can't be that much thinner - It doesn't weigh a great deal in the first place. As I said, i believe a lot of it is hype. And whats ABS? four sensors?

VaVa
blink172 said:
Unless they claim also includes the increased downforce kg's, i cant imagine this adds upto 89kgs

Spare wheel removed (replaced by 2 anti-puncture inflators) 14kg
Air conditioning removed - god knows. Call it 10kg
Side airbags removed - 2kg each?
Xenon headlamps removed - little or no saving
Auto-lights removed - weight of the sensor on the windscreen? lol
Headlight washers removed - f**k all
Rear headrests removed - 1 kg
Central rear seat belt removed -1kg
Heat reflecting windscreen removed - ummmm
Thinner glass used throughout -
Engine cover removed - 250 grams?
Leather/alcantera seats replaced with cloth - same seats - can't believe leathers that much heavier
Sound deadening adapted - So it's adapted - they didn't even remove it all!! It's about as heavy as loft insulation!! lol!
Braking system redesigned without ABS - bugger alll

16"x7" Speedline 'Turini' alloy wheels - 3kg/wheel

I'm not knocking the car, i'd love to have had one. I got the fatty as the best of both worlds.

Theres no doubting they are lighter - you can tell when you drive them..... but 89kg is one helluva lot - Go and pick up 89kg and see for your self...

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
OK, at a guess...

18kgs Spare wheel removed (replaced by 2 anti-puncture inflators)
15kgs Air conditioning removed
5kgs Side airbags removed
1kgs Xenon headlamps removed
0kgs Auto-lights removed
3kgs Headlight washers removed
2kgs Rear headrests removed
3kgs Central rear seat belt removed
0.5kgs Heat reflecting windscreen removed
10kgs Thinner glass used throughout
0.5kgs Engine cover removed
5kgs Leather/alcantera seats replaced with cloth
3kgs Sound deadening adapted
10kgs Braking system redesigned without ABS
10kgs 16"x7" Speedline 'Turini' alloy wheels

Almost there...

Edit: beat me to it.

Scirocco GT 210
MarkCup said:
OK, at a guess...

18kgs Spare wheel removed (replaced by 2 anti-puncture inflators)
15kgs Air conditioning removed
5kgs Side airbags removed
1kgs Xenon headlamps removed
0kgs Auto-lights removed
3kgs Headlight washers removed
2kgs Rear headrests removed
3kgs Central rear seat belt removed
0.5kgs Heat reflecting windscreen removed
10kgs Thinner glass used throughout
0.5kgs Engine cover removed
5kgs Leather/alcantera seats replaced with cloth
3kgs Sound deadening adapted
10kgs Braking system redesigned without ABS
10kgs 16"x7" Speedline 'Turini' alloy wheels

Almost there...

Edit: beat me to it.

Some seriously over optimistic estimates there.

The most far-fetched being that a few ABS sensors weigh 10kgs!

C

Cupster

I think the cup should have had the racer inlets at the frot as an option, every little helps - 1.5kg's??

Where has this notion come from that glass is light? I'd wager that if you took all the glass out and put it to one side, you'd struggle to lift it. So there's a fair chunk of weight there, and if its (for arguments sake) 30% thinner then it's going to wiegh 30% less? Surely it all adds up?

Some of you appear to be saying Renualt made it all up?

Steve2004 said:
Some seriously over optimistic estimates there.

The most far-fetched being that a few ABS sensors weigh 10kgs!

ABS sensors, rings, clips, brackets, harness, ABS computer...(not sure on the last bit)

RenaultSport Clio CUP
i have been to a weighbridge in a scrap metal yard to settle this argument which i had with a friend who suggested the 89kg was marketing *ollocks and seen with my own eyes the difference..........a cup was 91kg lighter than a full fat and they both had a full tank of fuel (both just filled up) - both cars were emptied out of cd's and sunglasses etc and i won a rather nice pint of beer for the trouble..........

Renault are quite serious when it comes to building a serious roadgoing lightweight car and they DID achieve this with the CUP........it is quicker (would anyone deny this? - std and no mods cars i mean) it does handle better..............it does steer in better..........the weight saving work was a real exercise and choosing the right model for you is important...........i track day, so a CUP was the right car for me..............others watch top gear and thats as near to a track that they will ever get.........horses for courses.........

I am still up for winning more pints if anyone fancies the CUP Vs Full Fat challenge.....lol

Regards

Danny

Nippy white cup
Yeah it all depends what your after. If you get a good 172 and a poor Cup then the 172 would be quicker. But if you get a good 172 and a good Cup the cup will be faster. I admit that on some days (probably 2 weeks in a full year!) I wish I had Aircon...Abs/ESP/Traction Control only really miss them in the wet and tbh I don`t race about in the wet so again not too bothered about that, seats are not really much different. Equally there are some people who aren`t too bothered about the small performace increase..horses for corses

Chris

VaVa
Roy Munson said:
ABS sensors, rings, clips, brackets, harness, ABS computer...(not sure on the last bit)

Which basically means you're clutching at straws. You'd be lucky if that lot weighed as much as a bag of sugar (not pointing the finger but people seem to be a bit unsure how heavy a kilo is)..;)

I've no doubt the 172 Cup is lighter... I'm not denying that.... I've driven one and it's noticeable......it's just the parts that renault quote as either being changed or removed don't really seem to add up to 90kg. That's 90 bags of sugar...... Or by Marks weighings 30 3kg headlamp washers!!! LOL!!

VaVa
Roy Munson said:
Where has this notion come from that glass is light? I'd wager that if you took all the glass out and put it to one side, you'd struggle to lift it. So there's a fair chunk of weight there, and if its (for arguments sake) 30% thinner then it's going to wiegh 30% less? Surely it all adds up?

Some of you appear to be saying Renualt made it all up?

Undo your drivers window a bit. Put your thumb and fore finger either side of the glass. Can you imagine them making it much thinner? Enough to save kg's of weight?