ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

whats the grippiest tyres i can get for front?

RS182 Full Fat
My wheels spin in most gears, even on a dry road. And are far worse on damp or wet road. Can only use the lower rev range on a damp road. At high revs in say 2nd or 3rd the car will loose traction and wander around a little at speed until i lift off. There are Nankangs (i didn't do it!) on the front which were on it when i bought the car. The looked new when i got the car but were rubbish. They are worn in 3k or so now and remain rubbish in every respect.
whats the grippiest tyres i can get for front? I don't care about wear rate, or road noise, but I don't want a track tyre either.
ta for any suggestions.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
People like pilot sport 3s as said.

I like conti sport contact 3s. I think you can still get them in 16"

I've got rainsports on le females civic, I like them that much I want a set for the Clio.

Toyo proxy r1rs are meant to be ace in the dry and wet as well

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Nankangs aren't great usually, although the NS2-R is a brilliant track tyre.

Mind you in this weather a semi-slick might have trouble finding grip anyway.

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
My wheels spin in most gears, even on a dry road. And are far worse on damp or wet road. Can only use the lower rev range on a damp road. At high revs in say 2nd or 3rd the car will loose traction and wander around a little at speed until i lift off. There are Nankangs (i didn't do it!) on the front which were on it when i bought the car. The looked new when i got the car but were rubbish. They are worn in 3k or so now and remain rubbish in every respect.
whats the grippiest tyres i can get for front? I don't care about wear rate, or road noise, but I don't want a track tyre either.
ta for any suggestions.

Im in the same posision as you .. i have continental 2s and they are alright. uniroyals were amazing when i had mines but wear fast ( my tracking was hugely out aswell )

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I agree the Uniroyals are very good.
100% they have saved me in a couple of instances the previous cheap shite would have totally killed me.

Would recommend.

Unless turbocharged, or you have the mechanical sympathy of a chimp, no clio should be losing traction in a straight line in third.
I'd be getting the geometry checked out and making sure none of the front suspension has play in it as this will make any tyre feel awful.
After that, ANY decent road tyre will be fine, but pick of the crop on here is the pilot sports, or if youre on a budget, the rainsports (which I have and love)

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I have recently swapped from pilot sport 3's to hankook v12's and have noticed no difference in grip an I'm running just a bit more power and torque than a standard 1*2

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Pilot sport 3 transformed the abarth.

Transformed. The original p zero's where heroically shite

E46 M3, Clio 182
Yokohama AD08r's are brilliant in the dry and ok in the wet! I would definitely recommend. Alternatively, R888's would be another good option, but as above, think there might be an underlying issue.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Ps3's are over rated imo, the ps2 was a better performance tyre. Iirc the ps3 replaced the pilot exalto, and the super sport the ps2.
Continental 5's are good, Hankook are brilliant for the money.

Federal RSR's are awesome in the dry and pretty good in the wet, so long as you don't plant your right foot to early in corners.

Toyo T1R's were shocking the last time I had a set!

182 ff
Yokohama AD08r's are brilliant in the dry and ok in the wet! I would definitely recommend. Alternatively, R888's would be another good option, but as above, think there might be an underlying issue.
forget all the rest....only one tyre to have..... yokohama AD08s..i had Federals on when I bought the car,i wouldn't put them on a pram,

Last edited:
  Listerine & Poledo
forget all the rest....only one tyre to have..... yokohama AD08s..
O rly?
10405282_10153172721523535_6172028593631131992_n.jpg

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
i was looking for AD08r's for my turinis, only the 205,45,16 came up with camskill, anyone know where else to buy them? i have T1r's on at the moment and they have to be one of the worst tyres ever in the wet

Listerine & Poledo
i was looking for AD08r's for my turinis, only the 205,45,16 came up with camskill, anyone know where else to buy them? i have T1r's on at the moment and they have to be one of the worst tyres ever in the wet
https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/yokohama/advan-neova-ad08r/205-45-r16-83w-433834
https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/goodyear/eagle-f1-gs-d3/205-45-zr16-83w-392494

Agreed about the Toyo's. Mind, I find Yoko's I had were rubbish if it wasn't baking-tarmac hot

Reactions: npt
  182 trackcar, XC60t6
I had toyo t1r 205 45 16. Loved em. Wet or dry. Haven't tried all the others yet.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
I have nankang ns2 all round on mine. Grips fine in the dry and lets go just a bit in the wet.
Will get ps3 next though or rainsports

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
Got ps3s on front,uni3s on back,both great tyres.Like the look of Contisport 5s but read they have fast wear rate.

jakeg

ClioSport Club Member
  Rs Clio 172
Hankook and Avon do decent tyres for slightly cheaper than pilot sports etc. But even nankangs or any budget tyre should cause this level of problem. In fact I've heard of all the budget tyres nankangs are actually OK

RS182 Full Fat
hmm put some new yokos on but still doesnt feel right. When doing say 80ish i can move the steering wheel left/right a couple of inches either direction back and forth and it makes no difference to the direction of the car.. it just drives straight. Ive had wheel alignment done a couple of different garages but still the same. Ive had them check for anything obvious broken but they can't

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
hmm put some new yokos on but still doesnt feel right. When doing say 80ish i can move the steering wheel left/right a couple of inches either direction back and forth and it makes no difference to the direction of the car.. it just drives straight. Ive had wheel alignment done a couple of different garages but still the same. Ive had them check for anything obvious broken but they can't
Steering arms ?

RS182 Full Fat
What have you and havent you replaced so far? The issue is almost certainly not tyres.
i had the car inspected at garages but they can find nothing wrong. They have done the tracking. The only thing i can think of it that they are either missing something. Or.. the previous owner had the car lowered. It has eibach (not spelled correctly) springs. Maybe it needs more professional wheel alignment .. they only do a basic toe and camber at most garages i believe. It may need more attention than that ?

most things arent adjustable and wouldnt cause issues anyway, as long as your tracking and camber is within spec it wont cause what you describe.
Lowering wont cause it either if done properly and aligned afterwards.
If the steering is that 'loose' then its got to be a joint or bush or topmount with play in it. Perhaps not MOT failure play, but play nonetheless, hence asking what you've already replaced.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Track rod's and Track rod ends will be worth checking. Check for play in the wheel side to side in the air.

How is your tyre wear across the tread ?

RS182 Full Fat
Amateurs don't use Nankangs, I've seen the way you drive. You've got a heavy foot.
heey lol.. I have not been to bristol.

Tyre tread looks even.

I have not replaced anything alistairolsen. I have only had the car since last summer. It was not well looked after. I've spend lots on the engine. and i put 2 new shocks on the back. but the car has always had lack of feel since i got it.

clio 182 trophy
I rated the pirelli p zero Nero gt's. Excellent tyre for the price. Not enough of a difference to the Michelin to justify the extra cost imo. The Michelin ps3 are a better tyre though.

clio 182 trophy
I rated the pirelli p zero Nero gt's. Excellent tyre for the price. Not enough of a difference to the Michelin to justify the extra cost imo. The Michelin ps3 are a better tyre though.