ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What's the most BHP ??

Rb Clio 182
What is the most BHP a standard clio 182 gear box would be capable of with standing before it break's ?

What is the most BHP some one has put on a clio 182 box ?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
how long is a piece of string?

I've seen stock power cars completely grenade a gearbox, and I've seen 250-300bhp run just fine for a very long time. It's entirely down to how it's driven really

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Can't manage 182! To be fair unless you Abuse the gearbox there not tooooo bad, Steve Haswell ran nearly 380 before 4th gear stripped, there have been a few 280-300+ as for exact figures I don't think there are any.

172 Sport
The main problem with ANY gearbox is driving style, I would argue that a 250bhp car spinning it's wheels up every 5 seconds putting less load and stress on a gearbox than a 182bhp car running sticky tyres and putting all of it's power down everywhere.

big boost cup
when Mine had 230 odd It got some serious abuse drag racing and plenty of hard use on the private roads. its now got 331hp and the box is "OK" ish just the clutch cant cope atm. i want to abuse it this year at the strip but im scared that it will fall to pieces.

Rb Clio 182
Well i want to find infomation out as i had no luck in selling the car was just thinking about making it something a little special but want to find everything out first .

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
The main problem with ANY gearbox is driving style, I would argue that a 250bhp car spinning it's wheels up every 5 seconds putting less load and stress on a gearbox than a 182bhp car running sticky tyres and putting all of it's power down everywhere.

not really as when its spinning its wheels up its going to be suffering axel tramp rather than a smooth power curve which will be putting more shock though the box.

they arnt bad, regular oil changes, dont launch it, blip them on downshifts, dont rush them thru the gears and they arnt bad!

172 Sport
Surely if you were at a point where gearbox strength was an issue you would have stiffer engine mounts anyway, eliminating tramp? You would only get the inside wheel spinning up anyway.

We used to get a polybush dogbone mount that joined the back of the sump to the rear subframe on Golfs/A3's, fitting one of those you get no tramp and the wheels would just spin up smoothly. Is that not the same with one of these? What shore are the engine mounts as standard, do we know?

172 Ph1, Meg GT220
Typically, it is torque that kills drivetrain components like gearboxes and driveshafts. The turning force of torque puts gearboxes and diffs under the most stress, so this is what you must be careful of rather than high HP. I have seen supercharged V6's snap their driveshafts clean at the joints when the charger is only just coming on boost. It is the instant increase in torque that puts the most stress through.

Evo 5 RS
Like Dan says theres no definitive answer. Differs from box to box and the driving style. Typically if you're planning on running 250bhp ATF or more and you like to light it up, eventually you're going to come unstuck. Mechanical sympathy goes along way really. It really is a s**t box

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Surely if you were at a point where gearbox strength was an issue you would have stiffer engine mounts anyway, eliminating tramp? You would only get the inside wheel spinning up anyway.

We used to get a polybush dogbone mount that joined the back of the sump to the rear subframe on Golfs/A3's, fitting one of those you get no tramp and the wheels would just spin up smoothly. Is that not the same with one of these? What shore are the engine mounts as standard, do we know?
ive never tried a full set of mounts but with fresh genuine ones and polly lower one it still tramped running standard power