ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

whats worth more? 172 cup or 172?

clio 172 cup 2002
i have a clio 172 cup remapped nice car but i want a full fat 172 would a straight swap with same year be a fair swap? and if so is there anyone that is interested or knos of anyone thats interested? thanks for the help

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: whats worth more? 172 cup or 172 full fat??

Cup is 'worth' less. Don't see the point in swapping personally.

Cup is worth more, generally.

No such thing as a 172 FF by the way. It's just a 172.

Megane 225 F1

What is it you want from the "FF"?

What ever it is, just buy to 2nd hand and fit. Unless it's abs in which case, stop being a girl.

OH and a FF doesn't exist. 172 FF is used by me to describe a badly modified 172, ala "Fully Fucked".

clio 172 cup 2002

wouldn't even mind if i swapped for a year older full fat one. just want all the stuff that comes with normal one really and insurance is cheaper

clio 172 cup 2002

nothing to do with the abs at all just the cup is 0.2 of a second faster to 60 than the normal one and for that you lose alot for having the cup

So what is you want? Seats? Xenons? An engine cover? Heavier glass?

Air con/abs are the awkward ones to add.

clio 172 cup 2002

yes cheaper to insure as well cup is more of a track car and i will never do track days in it also just want a normal 172 is that so bad?

clio 172 cup 2002

yes but there is more plus sides to owning a 172 than 72 cup in my opinion

BMW M4; S1000 RR

If you have one example of each in equally good/or bad condition the 172 would be worth more. Cups were cheaper from new and it's not like they hold their value any better. No air con (for the most part), no abs and THOSE seats are the big downfalls. Mondial blue sure is pretty though.

Cups are usualy worth less as it has less posh bits which can limit its appear most people dont want an lower spec car.

But it does depend some places, usually in the summer want more for cups

I'd have a normal one over a cup unless there was a good price saving

I think 172 cups cost less from the factory but are worth more these days!

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep

You would have to remove those awful stickers and aftermarket headlights before anyone would consider a swap.

clio 172 cup 2002

well you can easily take the stickers of the car and swap someone for original headlights

After seeing your car the only thing you can hope for for a swap is one of these pmsl

00a1256a.jpg

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

The phase 2 is the runt of the mk2 RS range, least focused, bit soft really.

Out of all the 172's the cups 'feel' and look the best as standard.

Suzuki Jimny

I think 172 cups cost less from the factory but are worth more these days!

Used to be a couple of years ago, the one I bought was advertised for £3800, but now they are worth sweet FA. :(

clio 172 cup 2002

i never started this thread to be insulted and never paid to join this site to be insulted either i just wanted some help thanks to the people that actually gave me a normal answer but admin needs to sort the idiots out

Black Gold Trophy

I think it depends, if they are a silver one or one with climate control they seem to fetch really good money as they are quite rare, but if they are just a regular blue 172 cup they dont seem to be worth an awful lot.

I agree with you really, I'd rather have a regular 172, I just cant stand the interior in the 172 cups, it's vile!

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Tbh you've got a very nice colour car, I'm not sure if you're the bloke with the gay stickers on it but anyway.

If you just want some creature comforts buy a 172 interior, I would never sell a cup for a normal 172 anyday

So many insulters on here it's embarassing.

I like 172 cups. But if you arn't drawn to the appeal of either the simpler maintenance or more hardcore driving experience then that's up to you.

I would sell rather than swap. I've never swapped a car and never will. Reason being I'm sceptical of anyone offering a swap as would be worried they are trying to pass on a lemon. So if you go this route, expect to get a lemon yourself. 172's and 182's are easy to come by in good condition. You should be able to sell the cup if you price it right for it's condition. Selling up and then buying is far less risky than swapping.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Why everyone makes the cup to be some sort of stripped out race car i dont know. Ive had a 172 cup and my mate has a normal 172 and tbh apart from the leather it feels no less basic, yes you dont have aircon or automatic lights and wipers but do you really need that? If you want to drive something basic buy a 106 Rallye they literally have f**k all in the way of creature comforts and even then i never found it horrible to drive as an every day car.

PB Clio 172
someone agrees with me ! I would say they are worth the same in money terms even though the 172 should be worth more than the cup as you get more !

I cannot stand the seats in the cup, the cruddy wheels, the 'dial type' heater controls, the lighter windows(who cares about light windows) the basic engine bay etc. but saying that I dont wanna cup fight, the cup is still part of the renaultsport range so its all good! 172 is a better car in my eyes!