ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel hub removal problems

Clio 2.0 16v 182
A week ago my local Halfords autocentre decided that I didn't need a N/S/F spacer to stop wheel arch rubbing on my clio and actually bent the hub where the wheel sits. Currently have some aftermarket rims that JUST about fit over the f**ked hub. But the H&R spacers I was using to stop the wheel rubbing doesn't. I've been quoted £180-190 for a wheel hub replacement by pretty much all local mobile mechanics and £225-250 from any garage that will transport the car to their shop.

I now have a brand new wheel hub (no bearing) but I can't get the old hub off. I've got the hub nut off, I've tried soaking in WD40, I've even got a 15lb slide hammer (and pulled the sh** out of it). I have looked round the hub 5 or 6 times now and nothing is attached to it. Nothing is holding it back. I really don't want to replace the bearing and the hub as the bearing was fitted (brand new) from Renault service garage 1 month ago.

Anyone got any tips for removing the hub from the bearing? I don't have a press so that's out of the question.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
I've never managed to get a hub off without destroying the old bearing. Last one I did I heated in the oven then used a vice to press it out, but it still pulled the bearing apart.

My choice would have been a used hub and carrier for £20, and had a new bearing pressed in and then just swapped the unit over.

I might be reading this wrong (given the resposnses so far) but it sounds more like the OP is asking how to get the hubcarrier/bearing free'd from the driveshaft splines? NO?

It should not need much of a tap to free the splines. But if I'm missing the question, and you do already have the hubcarrier off the car then a press is necessary to replace the bearing properly. And I would totally concurr with the previous comment on just sourcing a used carrier given what you said was the problem.

I might be reading this wrong (given the resposnses so far) but it sounds more like the OP is asking how to get the hubcarrier/bearing free'd from the driveshaft splines? NO?

It should not need much of a tap to free the splines. But if I'm missing the question, and you do already have the hubcarrier off the car then a press is necessary to replace the bearing properly. And I would totally concurr with the previous comment on just sourcing a used carrier given what you said was the problem.

Some do sieze in there(I'm seeing it more and more) even one a while back took 8 tonnes and still didn't shift.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Some do sieze in there(I'm seeing it more and more) even one a while back took 8 tonnes and still didn't shift.

I had one last week took just under 10tonne to get it out! Bloody daft im suprise nothing was damaged when pushing it out tbh..

Had a Kia in a few months ago that s**t its shaft, couldnt get the knackered CV out the hub, our press couldnt push it out, had to take to a mates place for his big press, little over 17 tonne of pressure to push it out

Lol, reminded me of doing a boxer van, 06 plate. Trying to do a wheel bearing. Maxed out my 8 tonne press. So took it to an HGV workshop locally. Maxed out their 30 tonne press. Took it to a plant hire place with their 200t press. Broke the hub lol.